Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'm sure everyone will agree we've been an utter shambles for ages, and I'm all for stability and patience. But it's laughable thinking he should be given more than the remaining season, if performances and results do not severely pick up in that time. This is the way of the world nowadays, football is no different. You either perform or you're history.

• Like 3

So the concensus for some is:

Wait till SB has had time enough, preferably a preseason so that after 10/11 games if its not going well, we can sack him, get in a new manager that has to wait till JanWin to get "his" players in so we can excuse him till he's had a preason to be judged on the hope that after 10/11 games if we are not top of the league we can sack him and .......

In the meantime Toon are back down here, Leeds and West Ham too.

AVFC are so far behind, ffp has kicked in limiting us to be able to financially compete with the Ch teams who have missed out over the past few years AND the in the meantime 3/4 of the 6 PL parachute-payments financed teams, that DrT has called in Steven Hollis to "Sell the Club" because 8th is the highest we can hope for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just had a quick flick through the thread. Are some fans seriously suggesting we sack the manager now??

Yep.

Madness imo.

At the end of the season would make much more sense. By then we'll have seen whether this poor form will have continued and have a better idea of whether the new signings bedding in will make any difference. But it will also give any new manager an entire pre-season plus another transfer window to prepare for the next season.

But sacking Bruce right now? After he's brought in half a dozen new players and we only have one game to go by? It'd be mental. Another new manager isn't going to get us promoted from here, so it'd be incredibly poor timing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just had a quick flick through the thread. Are some fans seriously suggesting we sack the manager now??

Yes

Me

I've seen enough

IMHO its time to react

(another problem will be who runs the show till a replacement is appointed? - Calderwood or Gaby?)

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

Yes

Me

I've seen enough

IMHO its time to react

(another problem will be who runs the show till a replacement is appointed? - Calderwood or Gaby?)

Seem's logical a couple of days after the window closes and he's been allowed to reshape the squad.

Who do you think should replace him?

• Like 2

Talk of sacking is ridiculous , pretty much everyone was happy when Bruce came ,whats next appoint someone until the end of the season then sack them as well and spend another 50m on players. We cannot repeat the same mistakes over and over again

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The biggest gripe with me too......we are the stand off champions.

Steve Bruce teams have always pressed and squeezed, that why he has to work on this with his new lads.

Its always been and issue, but teams had more space years ago, the game is much faster today, so space is so valuable

I think the idea is that we're quick going forward, so rather than press and condense the amount of space we have (in an attacking sense), we're happy to let teams come at us so we can win the ball back and break quickly.

4 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Talk of sacking is ridiculous , pretty much everyone was happy when Bruce came ,whats next appoint someone until the end of the season then sack them as well and spend another 50m on players. We cannot repeat the same mistakes over and over again

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Bruce has till the end of the season to prove he can get us up next year. We've hit our first slump of form. Even though our results haven't been good at times we've generally been the better side in most games. My main worry is his substitutions and in game management. V Preston we were 2 up but then they got on top he never reacted. V Brentford after a very good start we died and they pummelled us. It was crying out for a tactical change or even a substitution in the 1st half but nothing. Halftime he tinkered to no affect. We needed to go for it at 2 nil down we never and it the 3rd was inevitable. Even then no immediate reaction The players are out of form and so is the manager. 

21 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Right now yes, but he has to show a lot more over the remainder of the season to prove why he deserves to be here past the summer. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think the idea is that we're quick going forward, so rather than press and condense the amount of space we have (in an attacking sense), we're happy to let teams come at us so we can win the ball back and break quickly.

I agree and I think it's deeply flawed. Fix this and we should be fine imo.

Ive said lots so would just reiterate sacking him would be barmy in my view.

He has to have ( and will get) to the end of the season and be judged then.

However, he has done little, after a good opening spell, to help his cause and most the criticism is merited.

• Like 1

I think he has set us up pretty solidly since his arrival despite inevitably having to try a few things out, but at the expense of creativity, hence our dismal away record. His get out was the terrible midfield which has had repercussions right across the field. I think up until Christmas he was doing a solid job that no one could really argue with. AFCON, Getsede leaving so early and McC failure to turn up has cost us greatly. That midfield was utterly abysmal. 

We are looking pretty poor at the moment though, as bad as anything we have seen, we can only hope this is what he now needs and he can shape a "team" in the next few weeks to the point where we are looking like kicking on. Anything less and he will be out in the Summer. 

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Seem's logical a couple of days after the window closes and he's been allowed to reshape the squad.

Who do you think should replace him?

Hi Trent

I really dont want to argue back and forth endlessly.

But.

Take away the apparent pluses of SB's past. Look at the now and what he's done so far. IMO he's made numerous mistakes that have cost us the chance of slowly over a period of 30+ games (90pts+ on offer) climbing the table to sniff at 6th.

I'm putting aside the additions of this window because.

If we have finally learned something from the last comical regime. It should be that a chain of responsibility is laid out in the event that if one cog in the wheel doesnt fit, we replace, and carry on progressing.

Meaning, every one see's what must be done (even us fans). So players would be brought in regardless of who is manager. If we even have a philosophy of playing style/formation/tactics then our manager, coaching and player choices will be similar and relevant to what the club wants.

However, I believe that we gave not gone down that road - Philosophy -> Style -> appropriate appointments made.

We chose an option of - Who can sort this mess out and get us up,  as we have not quite missed the boat yet - sh!t or bust if you like.

Well, that boat has sailed, Leeds, Norwich, Cardiff, Preston and now Brentford have seen to that

I honestly think, That at the time, Bruce was a very good option.

But. he needed to sort things out straight away and hit the ground running to justify that decision.

I was fully behind taking him as an option. Alas I feel too many mistakes have been made and this option has run its course.

Auto-promotion went months ago. Playoffs went a few weeks back. Time to take a pause, face reality, stare the task at hand staunch in the face and make a decision.

The decision being stick or twist.

I have not seen anything that motivates or convinces me to believing that sticking would he the right choice.

Time to make a change

There is no garantee that the change made will be right as much as a garantee that not making a change will be right.

Who?

Well I personally think our bargaining position (Tony's ambition and willingness to spend - A board that seem to "get things done" - be them right or wrong) is now at its highest.

A new manager would have a free shot at getting us moving in the right direction over a period of 18 or so games, no pressure to get 6th, and a preseason to hit the ground running in August.

With that in mind. I think a number of candidates would suddenly rear their heads and say.

"Me, me, me....."

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

Look at the now and what he's done so far. IMO he's made numerous mistakes that have cost us the chance of slowly over a period of 30+ games (90pts+ on offer) climbing the table to sniff at 6th.

We only had a sniff at 6th, because of Bruce. Yes, games haven't gone well for us recently, but he took a crap side from 1 win to playoff contention. Yeah, we've taken a step back since then, but that happens when a new manager comes in. 

Just now, Grasshopper said:

....I would like to add

If the men of influence really have a plan, they already know who Y is if X dont work.

Maybe even who Z is before they go on with A B or C

Personally, I think E, F and G are worth a look - must be in with a shout?

• Like 1

Â