Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I won't quote the lengthy- and very interesting - posts but I can't agree that with the idea that Bruce plays this way through circumstances rather than choice.

Are people really saying his available players are so poor we have to play defensively, sit off teams, ignore the advantages of a pressing game etc ?

The teams we are playing against have, by and large, poorer squads but are doing fine getting after us. Brentford didn't need to have exactly this player or that player in order to seize control last night and they were in a poor run of form as well.

If Bruce (a) needs an eternity with his players ( I don't mean the new ones) and (b) to have exactly the 'right' guys available in order for the team to press, pass, move, close down, and get forward, he is no Mamager at all !

I can be a little more forgiving of results but some of the explanations or reasons offered for our non- football- and it is by no means just last night, the exceptions are just that -don't add up for me.

Edpecially when he has always played that way.

sorry Terry, we will have to disagree.

How can you explain a vibrant Wolves team going to Anfield and getting a win.....Liverpool just stopped doing the basics, because they thought it was a game they could cruise and Wolves just showed their recent intensity and dumped them on their arse.........do you honestly think Liverpool was playing to Klopps Orders....No....thats why he was shaking his head , just like Steve Bruce was.

Thats what working hard does, it gets results and performances......but it comes BEFORE the pretty stuff we all love.

Thats why Graham Taylor was bemused when he took over England and said Quote " This lot only want to play football and nothing else".....(thats what he meant)

Don't they all, but the ones who recognise hard work, endeavour and industry realise its not that easy to just go out and start playing pretty from the off.....opposition teams ( if they are any good) don't just let you play, you have to earn it.......and thats what graham was alluding to......thats what he did with us.

and that is what Steve has to do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I won't quote the lengthy- and very interesting - posts but I can't agree that with the idea that Bruce plays this way through circumstances rather than choice.

Are people really saying his available players are so poor we have to play defensively, sit off teams, ignore the advantages of a pressing game etc ?

The teams we are playing against have, by and large, poorer squads but are doing fine getting after us. Brentford didn't need to have exactly this player or that player in order to seize control last night and they were in a poor run of form as well.

If Bruce (a) needs an eternity with his players ( I don't mean the new ones) and (b) to have exactly the 'right' guys available in order for the team to press, pass, move, close down, and get forward, he is no Mamager at all !

I can be a little more forgiving of results but some of the explanations or reasons offered for our non- football- and it is by no means just last night, the exceptions are just that -don't add up for me.

Edpecially when he has always played that way.

last night Yea

They had no choice they hadn't got the ball.

I think the system we played last night was spot on, if we're talking about formation.

I think any time we've striggled this season it's mainly been trying to play 4-4-2. We just don't have the personnel. 

Whenever we've looked decent it's been a 4-3-3/4-5-1. It's enabled our midfield to link up with the forwards much better and has compensated for what we lacked in midfield.

What was wrong last night was the personnel in midfield, particularly as they're all so new, lacking any sort of balance or positional discipline, AND the seeming insistence on bypassing that midfield whenever we got the ball.
The first point may well have led (is that right @NurembergVillan?) to the second.

I don't for one minute believe Bruce told the players to bypass the new midfield he's just bought. But he better find a way to stop them doing it because long balls up to Kodjia, who I still insist is not good as a target man, is never going to work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the system we played last night was spot on, if we're talking about formation.

I think any time we've striggled this season it's mainly been trying to play 4-4-2. We just don't have the personnel. 

Whenever we've looked decent it's been a 4-3-3/4-5-1. It's enabled our midfield to link up with the forwards much better and has compensated for what we lacked in midfield.

What was wrong last night was the personnel in midfield, particularly as they're all so new, lacking any sort of balance or positional discipline, AND the seeming insistence on bypassing that midfield whenever we got the ball.
The first point may well have led (is that right @NurembergVillan?) to the second.

I don't for one minute believe Bruce told the players to bypass the new midfield he's just bought. But he better find a way to stop them doing it because long balls up to Kodjia, who I still insist is not good as a target man, is never going to work.

Hallelujah....well said Steve.

However ,Steve Bruce has a lot of Training ground work to do with this team.

3 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I agree totally. How long has Lambert been at Wolves?, Their fans can see what he is trying to achieve. McLaren has rejuvenated Derby who were below us when Bruce came, they are now out of sight.

I am not suggesting that we sack yet another manager as this season is a do over now. I do expect to see us show a system, see movement at throw ins rather than the 2 types we do now, I expect to see our keeper not just smash it up the pitch with every kick he has.

It looked last night like Brentford had 2 more players on the pitch so kudos to Dean Smith.

Do you think the Blackburn and Newcastle fans would agree.....never exactly covered themselves in glory there did they.

Its a selective point Imo

If we get some momentum in the next few weeks.....SB will be the best thing since sliced bread.

We are all smarting at present.....and rightfully so.

We can't sack managers when they hit a bd patch. I think we will get better. It's just the the confidence is nowhere to be seen. 

The Preston result has killed our belief. The most suprisingly thing for me is we haven't after all.these games fulfilled our potential. I'll tell you what when we actually hit form (if ever) and start taking our chances we are capable of battering teams.

We can hope...

• Like 1

It hurts more because there was genuine belief and excitement after the transfer dealings and nobody could have believed last night would be so bad - I feel like a balloon floating in the clear blue sky only to have been popped by a giant tit :(

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Do you think the Blackburn and Newcastle fans would agree.....never exactly covered themselves in glory there did they.

Its a selective point Imo

If we get some momentum in the next few weeks.....SB will be the best thing since sliced bread.

We are all smarting at present.....and rightfully so.

Or Gary Monk at Leeds, has he spent millions since he took over?

The very best managers work with what they have, get the best out of it and then develop it, at this point I don't know how good or bad Bruce is in all honesty. It's possible that ring backed so well in the window may well work against him in the short term.

February will go along way to telling us if he a good manager or not.

Edited by mykeyb

12 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

For some reason I thought otherwise. Glad that isn't the case. 

Just to balance that we have lost 6 as well.

I am not suggesting you are doing this but I have seen it suggested that Calderwood is the issue and should be replaced but I am not sure what people are basing that on. Before he came in we had only played a handful of games under Bruce and it was all still very new as he assembled his staff.

Calderwood came with a decent reputation. Had worked alongside Hughton when Newcastle got promoted, had a successful season with him last year at Brighton and a very good start to this one.

During a poor run it is easy to point the finger at all sorts of things but the buck stops with the manager so if Calderwood is crap or not up to the job then regardless it is still on Bruce to identify that and replace him. So far he hasn't so I'd suggest he isn't the issue and the issue lies with the players we have been putting on the pitch and the failure to find a settled side and formation. Hopefully with the recent additions that will now start to change.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Or Gary Monk at Leeds, has he spent millions since he took over?

The very best managers work with what they have, get the best out of it and then develop it, at this point I don't know how good or bad Bruce is in all honesty. It's possible that ring backed so well in the window may well work against him in the short term.

February will go along way to telling us if he a good manager or not.

but haven't Leeds been down here for a while and had chance to bed a few players in prior to Gary Monk

We are playing worse and are easier to beat than when RDM was the manager.

Looking at the stating XI versus Wednesday to yesterday team there are only 2 of the same players- Baker and Hutton.

Bruce has effectively got  a new side for 18 games, 10 points from 6th, and no pre season to go through. 

It is a right old mess. I think he just needs to see a gradual improvement and plan for next season. Because that is going to be massive for us for the future of the club. Shit or bust.

I'm not calling for his head - simply because another change at the top, at this stage would in my view hinder any lingering hopes of reaching the play -off's, do I believe him to be the right man long term? Hell no- I wasn't keen on him from the start, but I have given him my support  and will continue to do so in the forlorn hope that he will turn this ship around.

my biggest fear and I said at the time of his appointment that I don't believe he will cut the mustard in the prem- I always felt this was a quick fix appointment - again in my view he's straight out of the fat Sam school of managers and has not moved forward with the times. We should have gone for a younger more progressive manager with a view to building the club upwards with an identity and enthusiasm ready to take on the prem aka Bournmouth.

This  said I wish him and want him to do well- lets just hope it all gels together starting on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm not calling for his head - simply because another change at the top, at this stage would in my view hinder any lingering hopes of reaching the play -off's, do I believe him to be the right man long term? Hell no- I wasn't keen on him from the start, but I have given him my support  and will continue to do so in the forlorn hope that he will turn this ship around.

my biggest fear and I said at the time of his appointment that I don't believe he will cut the mustard in the prem- I always felt this was a quick fix appointment - again in my view he's straight out of the fat Sam school of managers and has not moved forward with the times. We should have gone for a younger more progressive manager with a view to building the club upwards with an identity and enthusiasm ready to take on the prem aka Bournmouth.

This  said I wish him and want him to do well- lets just hope it all gels together starting on Saturday.

Well, not to piss on your chips Dave, but Eddie is having a little wobble at the moment I think.....and David Moyes has his followers too

They all have a wobble.

Whoever comes in to us, will have their doubters.

No Fan will sign up to Steve Bruce in the Prem right now........Given the rest of the season and he goes on a run with this team performing to expectation, He will be revered.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Well, not to piss on your chips Dave, but Eddie is having a little wobble at the moment I think.....and David Moyes has his followers too

They all have a wobble.

Whoever comes in to us, will have their doubters.

No Fan will sign up to Steve Bruce in the Prem right now........Given the rest of the season and he goes on a run with this team performing to expectation, He will be revered.

Well no he won't be revered by me TRO to be truthful with you for the reasons I mentioned in so much as I don't believe him to be the long term solution - as for Eddie Howe I'm sure most Bournemouth fans will be happy to wobble all the way to 40 points and prem survival - which would again be a massive over achievement - would you not want an identity and feel good factor pulsing through the club - rather than this dour clinging on to coat tails scenario that we have at this moment in time. ? 

• Like 2

Â