Next Villa Manager

Richard

Unfortunately, I think we should think longer term too—at the moment we have such a small chance of going up this season. I say that hoping we still can and that Wagner, Bruce or whoever will do it. 

We've won 4 games in 51 or something—we'd have to win 20-odd of the next 30-odd games. The turnaround would be a miracle on the level of getting Huddersfield up to first without spending any money.

I bloody put a bet on us to win the Championship (14-1) and I am so demoralised. I don't know if I could take it if we had Bruce and kept this shit up. 

• Like 2

Heart Wagner - Head Bruce. 

I think we would have more chance of promotion /playoffs with Bruce. 

Wagner would need to implement style/ changes where as Bruce would be more simplistic imo. 

Id take dull and uninspiring if it got us promoted. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Well you can have a long term plan and continually change manager. A lot of people believe 3 years should be a managers max, something Pep follows.

Watford use short term targets in their long term view. 

The Watford board would hire the likes of Bruce or McCarthy, fund them to get promoted and then sack them immediately.

For me long term is more than 12 months.  Some are saying get Bruce,  he gets us up this year then we change in the summer.  Bonkers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Heart Wagner - Head Bruce. 

I think we would have more chance of promotion /playoffs with Bruce. 

Wagner would need to implement style/ changes where as Bruce would be more simplistic imo. 

Id take dull and uninspiring if it got us promoted. 

Bruce would also need to implement style changes,  both of them would as one of the issues is we do not have a style / tactical approach to the game right now

Just out of interest, I've done a search on this forum for "Wagner". 

The first serious mention of him in connection with the job was on September 11 in the RDM thread.

There was a mention last season in the context of the Championship being a league you need to know your way around since he started with a couple of defeats. Another mention was made last season when a poster said he'd take him here, and a couple of replys were made that maybe the composer would be a better fit.

Now I don't know too much about football, but I suspect that if he was as good as some here seem to think, there would have been far more noise about him from last season and in the summer, especially when we'd been taken over and were looking for a new manager.

The only conclusion I can draw then is that the only reason Wagner is being discussed is because his name has bern linked with us, and Huddersfield are at the top of the table after 11 games.

And to think the Wagenerites want him in as a long term solution! A month ago, it looks like we didn't even know who he was!!

• Like 3

I think we have more a chance of promotion next year with Wagner and more of a chance of promotion this season with Bruce, all be it a lot less chance than we would have next season.

RDM talked about a two year plan for promotion so if that is the case then Wagner is the man.  If DrT goes with Bruce he is gambling more than he would be with Wagner based on the above criteria imo

• Like 1

What about Ralf Rangnick, 58 and currently a Sporting Director after doing several successful jobs in Germany, including a double promotion and vast Bundesliga experience. Speaks English well as he studied at Sussex University. Surely if Dr Xia is as ambitious as he says, these type of candidates should be looked at, not just Bruce et al who we could have got under Lerner.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

What about Ralf Rangnick, 58 and currently a Sporting Director after doing several successful jobs in Germany, including a double promotion and vast Bundesliga experience. Speaks English well as he studied at Sussex University. Surely if Dr Xia is as ambitious as he says, these type of candidates should be looked at, not just Bruce et al who we could have got under Lerner.

I think this would be a more progressive appointment than anyone mentioned thus far

31 minutes ago, Godders said:

Just out of interest, I've done a search on this forum for "Wagner". 

The first serious mention of him in connection with the job was on September 11 in the RDM thread.

There was a mention last season in the context of the Championship being a league you need to know your way around since he started with a couple of defeats. Another mention was made last season when a poster said he'd take him here, and a couple of replys were made that maybe the composer would be a better fit.

Now I don't know too much about football, but I suspect that if he was as good as some here seem to think, there would have been far more noise about him from last season and in the summer, especially when we'd been taken over and were looking for a new manager.

The only conclusion I can draw then is that the only reason Wagner is being discussed is because his name has bern linked with us, and Huddersfield are at the top of the table after 11 games.

And to think the Wagenerites want him in as a long term solution! A month ago, it looks like we didn't even know who he was!!

I know nothing at all about Wagner, but what I've read on here about him suggests he would be an interesting and bold appointment.

I'm not sure that it would fit with the club's frankly unrealistic ambition to be in the top three in the world by a week on Wednesday or whatever it was, though.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

He is joint second favourite for the England job at the moment. I think he would probably bide his time and see what happens there first.