Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Not IMO.

1 -

Apart from the fact he has been here all through RDMs time, and should really have followed him out the door, why on earth should the selection process be influenced by a few wins ?  I cant think of a less sound basis to make such an important appointment.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

2 -

As for 'no hurry' - I would say there is a massive hurry, new guy needs to get in and get his style settled, basically needs to cram a pre-season into however long he gets before a game.

1 - I'm no way in the know, but imagine an apparantly "reputed coach who'd love a crack at managing a club with potential and an owner with money to spend" Waiting for RDM to get the sack because he ****ed it up.

2 - You only have to look at a few of this seasons games to see what was wrong, The new manager just has to get back to doing the basics right especially in defence and the midfield. I'm pretty sure there's not much tweaking to do with Ayew, McScore, Kodjia or Gestede if the rest of our play is stable, they just need to be allowed to "play" there natural game, not shoeing them in to an unbalanced chaos by being played out of position.

3 hours ago, jon_c said:

Bruce's Managerial Record

Played 784. Won 295. Drawn 194. Lost 75. Win % 37.6.

What were the results for the other 220 games?

Edited by AJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KSV said:

Bruce has never had proper owner who has backed him..am I right? 

General k, I thought you left with Randy? 

43 minutes ago, av1 said:

General k, I thought you left with Randy? 

haha being serious though. Seem to remember him at smallish clubs with not much to spend. Be interesting to see how he goes with Xia. 

1 hour ago, KSV said:

haha being serious though. Seem to remember him at smallish clubs with not much to spend. Be interesting to see how he goes with Xia. 

Didn't he spend quite a bit in one summer at hull and then they went down that season? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

If you are to believe social media, betting has been suspended on Steve Bruce with an announcement shortly. 

We'll see.

Don't believe them, Still 12 firms with odds up, They will appear before 10am. 

4/7 is also available!

Edited by Kingman

Wagner seems to be a man of principle, who wants to see a project to its end, and whose motivation extends beyond that of money. He is just the sort of manager Villa need.

That is why it wont be David Wagner.

Yet.

Lets say RDM had stuck it out until the end of the season before getting the boot. Had Huddersfield finished in 17th, would people still be calmouring to get Wagner in? I wouldn't even think he'd be on many people's radar. And, if he was bought in under those circumstances because of his coaching methods, I'm sure there would be more than a few disgruntled fans.

Can't really see myself why Wagner would be a good candidate for us at the moment.

I'm really surprised more hasn't been made about Grayson coming due to his connection with the club and his nice comments about the fans following last weeks fixture. For example Brian Little is on the board, the manager who brought Grayson the first time round as a player, could he bring him here again as manager? Also Ross McCormack played under him at Leeds, got the best of him there, maybe Ross will put a good word for him there.

Edited by NuneatonVilla
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Godders said:

Lets say RDM had stuck it out until the end of the season before getting the boot. Had Huddersfield finished in 17th, would people still be calmouring to get Wagner in?

No, but you could flip that around, 'lets say he gets them promoted, would be all be clamoring to get him in?  Yes we would but the ship will have sailed.  At the moment he is something of an unknown quantity – you are right – if he wasn’t he wouldn’t still be working in the Championship.  For me there are several factors that make him an exciting, if riskier, prospect.  It is more than Huddersfield's current position. His four years at Dortmund, his association with Klopp and similar approach to the game, his attention to detail and emphasis on speed, pressing, attacking football, the way different managers talk about what he has done with Huddersfield in terms of organisation and play, his dealings in the transfer market on a limited budget etc. I just think there are lots of indicators he 'could' be a top manager in the game. I understand the arguments for Bruce – he is definitely the safer pragmatic option – the grinder - but Wagner has me intrigued.  Gut feel is getting him now – before it’s too late - could be the best thing we have done in years.  The problem is I suspect he is a man of principle and I doubt he will walk away from Huddersfield at this stage after investing so much - not for another championship team, even if we are a bigger club, with more money, better facilities, bigger ambitions.  Think will all have to get on the Bruce bus for 1-2 years.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

I'm really surprised more hasn't been made about Grayson coming due to his connection with the club and his nice comments about the fans following last weeks fixture. For example Brian Little is on the board, the manager who brought Grayson the first time round as a player, could he bring him here again as manager? Also Ross McCormack played under him at Leeds, got the best of him there, maybe Ross will put a good word for him there.

Maybe because he has zero promotions and could be seen as a risk. Bruce isnt as much as a gamble