Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 hour ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Make of it what you will but I have seen a photo of Houllier in Birmingham today. Could just be a coincidence, as I really can't see him being in the hat with his dodgy ticker but seems odd.

Not a lot really.

Anyone else watching Last Chance U on Netflix?

Ring Coach Buddy Stevens and give him all the money he wants.

I'd pay good money to see what he'd do to Westwood after seeing player after player waltz through him in midfield.

On a more serious note I really do believe we need a disciplinarian in charge almost as much as a tactical genius. Sick and tired of seeing a bunch of mentally weak fragile little boys out there.

And with my tin hat firmly on that's why I wouldn't have been upset with Warnock.

For what it's worth I think Bruce has got that in him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The Telegraph sting has changed the dynamic regarding managers/coaches appointments.

Imagine appointing "Ivor Badge" only to find he also "had-a-bung"?

Not only that but can you imagine the interest we create sacking/looking for a manager. Not only in the media but also in the "manager/coach circles".

Clarke can Caretake, so Our dreamteam can note who applies, who distances themselves and who they feel we could go for.

No hurry for 2weeks (Some of the squad are away). Who knows who applies?

What if Clarke (coach in waiting) wins a few including the Vermin and the S***? Does he not deserve a crack?

Not IMO.

Apart from the fact he has been here all through RDMs time, and should really have followed him out the door, why on earth should the selection process be influenced by a few wins ?  I cant think of a less sound basis to make such an important appointment.

And I'm not sure its about people 'deserving a crack' at it either ?

As for 'no hurry' - I would say there is a massive hurry, new guy needs to get in and get his style settled, basically needs to cram a pre-season into however long he gets before a game.

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Literally anyone can and does bet. Somebody on here put £500 on us to sign Ravel Morrison based on the word of an 'ITK' this summer. 

Firstly I doubt that very much and secondly small betting isn't really gonna make a bookie slash odds to 1-2.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Firstly I doubt that very much and secondly small betting isn't really gonna make a bookie slash odds to 1-2.

I think sky having their own betting company and reporting Bruce being favourite would influence lots of different bookmakers, would it not?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think sky having their own betting company and reporting Bruce being favourite would influence lots of different bookmakers, would it not?

Yes but not to this extent. I had the same discussion on here about both Sherwood and Garde. Many said the bookies meant nothing on those occasions also. 

On 05/10/2016 at 12:17, Gary Thomas said:

Well this passage (and that last sentence esp) is not a glowing reference is it given our current weaknesses - no control in midfield, unable to dictate play, failing to press home early advantages...sounds very familiar.  Hopefully he has learned a thing or two since it was written in 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

"Arguably one of the principal reasons Bruce is no longer in charge at the Stadium of Light concerns his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game.......if he failed to cut it as a tactician, the 50-year-old did not seem much of a strategist either. Including loans, 30 players were signed – several of whom have subsequently been moved on – during Bruce's two-and-a-half years on Wearside. That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit. Always rather amorphous, if not downright scrappy, Sunderland's high-tempo style lacked creativity, not to mention control, in central midfield. Unable to dictate play, the team frequently failed to press home early advantages.

Ref the bit highlighted and bolded above. 

Since that piece was written he has twice been promoted from the league we are trying to get out of so I would say yes he has learned something.!

On 05/10/2016 at 13:06, 1974Centenary said:

Even though Wagner is currently top of this league we are struggling in?

You could list 500 managers who were top of their league after 11 games. 

You can name very few promoted from The Championship 4 times. 

I think they need to get someone who is used to managing in England and is happy to take Villa on with all the negative baggage of the last half decade of shite. Someone who is a good clear communicator to the players, the media and the fans.There is no point getting someone to build projects as we sack them before this happens. It has to be  a impact appointment or there is no point whatever in sacking RDM. The entire remit would be promotion and then if that happens the board could bring in a different manager for the top flight. I think it all points to Bruce getting it.

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

in the managerial market it does not take much money for odds to be slashed as not that many people have a bet on it because its largely down to guess work

if 3/4 of us from VT went and put £20 each on say, Dean Smith, at Corals (current odds 10/1) the odds will be slashed in half. 

Its a notoriously volatile market, look at Swansea, manager gone new one in. One that was not on anybodies radar.

I would not take any notice of the managerial betting market. look here and you will see some firms still quoting a price on Neil Warnock

Edited by imavillan

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ref the bit highlighted and bolded above. 

Since that piece was written he has twice been promoted from the league we are trying to get out of so I would say yes he has learned something.!

Could someone tell me how many times has he taken a team down?

5 minutes ago, imavillan said:

in the managerial market it does not take much money for odds to be slashed as not that many people have a bet on it because its largely down to guess work

if 3/4 of us from VT went and put £20 each on say, Dean Smith, at Corals (current odds 10/1) the odds will be slashed in half. 

Its a notoriously volatile market, look at Swansea, manager gone new one in. One that was not on anybodies radar.

I would not take any notice of the managerial betting market. look here and you will see some firms still quoting a price on Neil Warnock

Ok fair enough mate we speak about it again when Bruce is confirmed.

18 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Could someone tell me how many times has he taken a team down?

Sorry. Didn't realise we were struggling in the PL with an cheaply assembled team. Agreed he is moderately poor at that and might get us relegated after a couple of years of struggle. Let's get in Pulis to ensure we don't drop out of the PL by the end of the season.