Next Villa Manager

Richard

32 minutes ago, sne said:

I think both the amount of money we spent on transfers, and the fact that many of the players we signed are getting on a bit in age would suggest that we were/are definitely aiming for promotion this season.

Other than Jedinak none of them are over the hill, but neither are they spring chickens. It's not a team build for the future, it's supposed to be good now. 

Jedi 32

McCormack 29

Adomah & Elphick 28

Chester & De Laet 27

Kodija 26

All currently supposed to be in their prime or there about.

Only Gollini and Tish are one's for the future

Crucially those are the positions we really needed experience heads.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm gonna have a bet on Sven-Göran Eriksson today I think.

Current manager of a Chinese club, international experience, wealth of club experience. Worth a punt.

Will he bring Beckham with him??

19 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I hope so Mark, I really do. I guess I still believe it could happen in my heart, even if my mind is telling me not likely.  We need one of those big managerial bounces to kick-start us.  Say we go and beat Wolves and then Blues - the positivism gauge would go through the roof and who knows.

The fact we have 35 games to go is still a hell of a lot of games. Like I said I wouldn’t look at it like we need another 64 points or 19 wins. See it that we have a 10 point gap to bridge and 35 games to do it. Chip away at it. I actually think if we could get to January which is around 12 games from now and be within 6 points of top 6 then we would be in with a great a shot of making the play offs especially as we are likely to have a lot of money to spend relative to other clubs. To be in that position it would mean clawing back 4 points on the top 6 over the next 12 games. With this squad, with the right manager then I see no reason we can’t do that.

At this stage I am not willing to lose that fire in my belly and that belief that we can still achieve something this season. I think it needs fans to believe. Otherwise we will be going to games going through the motions. A new manager gives us the opportunity to reignite this season and as fans get back to what we were doing at the start of this season which for me was being right behind the team thinking we can get out of this division.

• Like 3

Looking at the odds, the bookies only have two runners - Bruce or Wagner.  Imagine Bruce would be straightforward and quick - so the longer it goes on the less likely he is a first choice I think. I am still not sure Wagner will walk away from Huddersfield a quarter of the way through the season, even if this would be a great opportunity for him with Xia's financial backing and ambitions.

20 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Not necessarily no. Like Rowett said yesterday, Wagner's Huddersfield were the best and most drilled side he's ever come up against. I just think he sets up his team very well and they work incredibly hard. No hard science behind that and id like to think he could get us doing that as well. Bruce may well be the answer, may well not. No certainties on how we go after whoever it is we appoint. None.

Encouraging comments on Wagner......no fancy frills, working hard, sets up well

sounds good to me.

Wouldn't it be lovely just to get a manager who knows what he is doing producing a set way of playing that the players and fans can identify with. 

If you look back at recent Villa managers they have chopped and changed systems so much that the fans play spot the ball with every team selection prior to the team being announced.

Villa won't gain any consistency or go on a run of good results until that stops.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

Bruce also has a house in the region....not a major thing but it helps if you can integrate with the environment and understand the culture.

just another brick in the wall.

50 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You start looking too far ahead though and it does look like we have a mountain to climb. You break it down though and say if over the next 10 games we could chip away at that 10 point gap to the play off places and reduce it to say 6 points then we’d have 25 games left to claw back 6 points and a transfer window on the horizon. Sounds doable then.

Exactly this. I'd go even further and say we just need to concentrate on the Wolves game for now and take it forward from there. 

• Like 1

Of corse we can still go up,dont forget that we have been in a winning position for most of the games we have drawn/lost and the GK lost us 4 points early on.All we need to do is carry on as we are EXCEPT to not throw away winning positions and also I am sure our GK will not be making those types of mistakes again...ever.

Just being devils advocate.....would Wagner feel he would have to buy another 13 players at our club in order to get his point over.

What he has done at Huddersfield may not be repeatable here.

We don't really know which part of his actions have made the biggest bearing on his success to date.

as Impressive as it has been and the meteoric improvement he has gained.....too much of a gamble for me.

Huddersfield had far less to lose ( same league position, but not the infrastructure to support)

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

What's the problem everyone has with Bruce? He the most likely out of all the managers mentioned to get us promoted.

Who knows what is right or wrong for the club. We could have Mourinho and lose every game whilst Pearson might win every game. My concern about Bruce is the amount of stick we fans have given him in the past. Will he warm to us? Would the fans turn on him quicker if things aren't going so well, considering the past feelings towards him? I don't think he's right for us purely because of those reasons.