Next Villa Manager

Richard

Just now, alreadyexists said:

I'd not even really heard of Wagner until people suggested him in here. Isn't he just another gamble? It's been so long since we had a manager that had some credentials. I know Huddersfield are doing well, but how much of that is down to him? All genuine questions by the way not having a dig at anyone.

Isn't every manager a gamble?  Not been flippant, but Bruce could easily fail here and given his history it would not take fans long to turn. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gary Thomas said:

Isn't every manager a gamble?  Not been flippant, but Bruce could easily fail here and given his history it would not take fans long to turn. 

You're right Gary, any manager (or player) is a gamble, I didn't phrase my post that well. I suppose I meant, an excessive gamble given our situation/position. To me, Bruce seems like less of a gamble... Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know much about Wagner. 

Like I said, not trying to slag him off or anything, just genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

David Wagners record a Huddersfield:

Won 18, Drew 9, Lost 17 Played 44 Win Ratio of 40.91%

If achieved similar stats as our manager we would be looking at around 59 points.

They were 19th when he took over last year too having only won 3 of 15 games so not like he walked into a great team.

Not really a radical transformation last year but they won enough games to stay up and have been superb this year with his bunch of new additions that cost about the same combined as we spent on gollini

Just now, sidcowans21 said:

Strange that Wagner hasnt ruled himself out though, and no word from Huddersfield.

Good point next few days will be interesting. Surprisingly people would prefer Sherwood over Wagner according to the mail poll. That is complete and utter madness.

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

They were 19th when he took over last year too having only won 3 of 15 games so not like he walked into a great team

True. He joined them in 19th after 15 games and 31 games later they finished the season in 19th.

This season he has done a really impressive job so far but it is such a short spell of good results.

My ignorance though on what he has done behind the scenes and how much relevance I should place on his time managing Borussia Dortmunds B team possibly means like many of us I lack the knowledge to properly judge him.

I am intruiged by him though and one things for sure he gets the job he gets my full backing.

• Like 1

On a serious note if we get Wagner it's great that we are aiming for the best at our level. 2 of last seasons top goalscorers and now trying to lure championships current top manager. I would fully expect him to be backed to raid clubs in January too. 

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why is it strange if he wants the job and they want the compensation?

My answer was in reply to Demitri_C's post, he said he would be very suprised if Wagner took the job. If he wasnt interested, he would surely have ruled himself out by now.

Edited by sidcowans21

I think I'd like Lambert back. Don't think he was given a fair chance & in my opinion despite poor backing  managed to keep AV in the PL. Would like to see what he could do with this squad and good financial backing from DrTX.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcowans21 said:

My answer was in reply to Demetri_C's post, he said he would be very suprised if Wagner took the job. If he wasnt interested, he would surely have ruled himself out by now.

Outside of Benitez and maybe at a push Alex Neil, I can't see any manager in this league turning us down if seriously offered the job. 

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On a serious note if we get Wagner it's great that we are aiming for the best at our level. 2 of last seasons top goalscorers and now trying to lure championships current top manager. I would fully expect him to be sacked in January too. 

Fixed

• Like 2

Money talks. You can tempt many with lots of money. Would be looking at getting the best who says yes.

Forget this 5 year plan, forget championship experience and just get the best manager we can.

I'm sure there are top managers out there who want bragging rights of showing how great they are bringing a team from its knees back to the top.

If it costs 3 million per year wage (I'm guessing that's a huge wage as fat Sam was on it for England ) then so be it.