Next Villa Manager

Richard

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm certainly not advocating Rowett in this post BUT that 9th place needs to be taken in the context of the resources at his disposal, not to mention the ownership he works under.  It's a minor miracle and he clearly has something about him.  I'll admit I've never watched one of his games so I take it anecdotally that he's got a very dour footballing style.

...and a dour team to boot

Might be more adventurous with a better squad. 

He's not for me though, even if it would ruffle a few b'loser feathers

4 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

I'd love Tim back. F8ck it, why not? Lets face it, we're in the championship and at the moment it looks more likely us going down then going back up. Instead of always having huge pressure on us to win a game, we sit back and watch some entertaining football and actually enjoy it for once!

That's why not. IMO. I don't want him to finish this season in the same way that he started last season.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I know what you mean, although I see it as venting.  Just natural frustration coming out that people don't really mean deep down.  I do get what people mean also when they say they've stopped caring, because if you really really allowed yourself to get wound up by every game then you'd be a basket case fit for a mental home.  It's hard to actually enjoy what's on show, so I try to enjoy the sheer spectacle of it all.  I'm currently ... or I was until he was sacked ... fascinated with just how Di Matteo could **** up results with the players at his disposal.  Almost in an Anchorman "I'm not even mad" kind of way.  I suppose everyone has found their own way of getting through the last few years of Villa fandom and through the current season.  Take the vitriol with a pinch of salt, because ultimately whether it looks like it or not, we're all on the same side even when it doesn't always sound like it.

I do get where you're coming from BOF and appreciate we all have our coping mechanisms, but to use the acronym "SOTV" as a Villa fan, on a Villa forum, is beyond the pail. It's utterly ridiculous and that is the antithesis of allowing yourself to be wound up by it. 

Yes we are shit at present, yes it is painful and downright tiring especially as somebody who watches this pile of wank unfold every week. However, we have been lower and may well head there once more. As I said, if he/she genuinely can't cope anymore and doesn't care then go ahead and do something else with your time. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

I know he had a terrible team and was here at a terrible time, but he really was a terrible manager for us.

_88992302_garde_opta_tweet.jpg

Tim Sherwood had a 10% win record that season to, and he had assembled that team. and Eric Black was about the same to. The team was awful, not the manager.

• Like 1

Wouldn't argue with Bruce. It almost has to be him if we want security.

But I also would love for us to have a look at Murat Yakin. Didn't realise he was free at the moment.

Edited by Tomaszk

I suppose we should consider who Wyness would think appropriate, I'm sure he'd have an authoritative input on the matter....along with Steve Round

Apart from Moyes, who else would he have enjoyed working with?

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

Genuine question, did he play that way at Burton? I just wonder whether he is naturally defensive or is he just adopting a cautious style to get the best out of a pretty poor set of players at SHA?

I don't know about his time at Burton, would be interested to hear if anyone saw much of them under him. We'd need evidence of some attacking football if he was to be a serious candidate here, coming in from Blues playing dour football would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm reluctantly inclined to want someone like Bruce, a steady hand to guide the team to safety, and make a promotion push.19th place in October is shocking given our summer spend, can it get any worse?

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I do get where you're coming from BOF and appreciate we all have our coping mechanisms, but to use the acronym "SOTV" as a Villa fan, on a Villa forum, is beyond the pail. It's utterly ridiculous and that is the antithesis of allowing yourself to be wound up by it. 

Yes we are shit at present, yes it is painful and downright tiring especially as somebody who watches this pile of wank unfold every week. However, we have been lower and may well head there once more. As I said, if he/she genuinely can't cope anymore and doesn't care then go ahead and do something else with your time. 

I agree that the particular acronym which I will not write was going too far. But then as I say, I leave people at it and I try not to let it phase me.  I suppose that's one of MY mechanisms :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Tim Sherwood had a 10% win record that season to, and he had assembled that team. and Eric Black was about the same to. The team was awful, not the manager.

He didn't assemble that team though, Riley did. I'd definitely take Sherwood back. His record was miles above what anyone else has achieved recently. 

I think i would be happy with any of:

Bruce 

Rowett 

Smith

I think Bruce is probably the more pragmatic choice, but (and i know some will say this is irrelevant) i really do like the idea of an up and coming Villa fan at the helm. 

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

If we can't find a better manager than Sherwood then we might as well pack up and call it quits.

well in fairness we havent managed to so far!

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I have a new tactic for being a villa fan, I've just stopped caring.

Don't care who the new manager is, don't care what our last result was, don't care who we're playing next and don't care where we are in the league.

I don't care.

Thank you Aston Villa for ruining my love of football.

SOTV

This is kind of where I am but I've still got my optimism. 

I don't really care who the manager is, the results are past caring as is the league position. But I still strangely look forward to our next game. 

I always think maybe now we'll click. It all ends in disaster and I just rinse and repeat. 

I still love Villa and I still love football.

It's a form of madness no doubt but that's what these last few years have done to me.

Edited by villaglint