Next Villa Manager

Richard

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Woy got the sack from Liverpool and England, there's a reason for that too.

So has pretty much every other manager who has managed them.  Are they all terrible managers?

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

How did Bruce do at LIverpool or England.....oh right yeah ...never even got close.  There is a reason for that you know!

Neither has Sean Dyche, but that doesn't stop people wanting him. Managing England shouldn't be something that makes you a good manager, nor a bad one if you have never managed them. Remember that Steve McLaren has managed England.

I really hope we don't just pick from out of work candidates. 

Saying that, I really don't get what the issues people have with Bruce are? Is it just because he is fat and an ex-nose? Because while he hasn't won't the PL or CL as a manager, he's actually really rather good at his job and in our current state we would be insane to turn our noses up at him imo. Same with McCarthy.

Im not saying they are my top picks but they can't be any worse than the last 4 or 5 guys we've had and I'd be more confident with either of them in place of Sherwood or RDM.

What we really need - and Bruce/McCarthy don't really fit this criteria - is a progressive manager that has a modern adaptive approach to the game, rigorous training regimes and who wants a team of focused disciplined athletes instead of a squad of bantz lads who play footie.

The scary bit is that would someone with that approach to modern football even want to come to us? 

Some tough times ahead for us and until we are back in the PL we won't get anyone like that hence why we need someone like Bruce to hopefully get us up either this year or next and give us that chance to get someone more modern.

There are no guarantees though, we as a fan base need to calm down because say Bruce does come, does everything he needs to but by bad luck we just miss out on promotion? Will we call for his head and start another period of uncertainty or instability? We need to prepare for the fact that we could very well be in the Championship again next season and not throw our toys out the pram if results aren't going our way, as long as we see progression in performances/standards then we should be happy and more importantly, more patient.

Over to you Dr X.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

I really hope we don't just pick from out of work candidates. 

Saying that, I really don't get what the issues people have with Bruce are? Is it just because he is fat and an ex-nose? Because while he hasn't won't the PL or CL as a manager, he's actually really rather good at his job and in our current state we would be insane to turn our noses up at him imo. Same with McCarthy.

Im not saying they are my top picks but they can't be any worse than the last 4 or 5 guys we've had and I'd be more confident with either of them in place of Sherwood or RDM.

What we really need - and Bruce/McCarthy don't really fit this criteria - is a progressive manager that has a modern adaptive approach to the game, rigorous training regimes and who wants a team of focused disciplined athletes instead of a squad of bantz lads who play footie.

The scary bit is that would someone with that approach to modern football even want to come to us? 

Some tough times ahead for us and until we are back in the PL we won't get anyone like that hence why we need someone like Bruce to hopefully get us up either this year or next and give us that chance to get someone more modern. There is no guarantees though, we as a fan base need to calm down because say Bruce does come, does everything he needs to but by bad luck we just miss out on promotion? Will we call for his head and start another period of uncertainty or instability? We need to prepare for the fact that we could very well be in the Championship again next season and not throw our toys out the pram if results aren't going our way, as long as we see progression in performances/standards then we should be happy and more importantly, more patient.

Over to you Dr X.

Anyone who comes in and moves us in to top half will have done a good job IMO. 

A point I made in another thread is that Villa should not be fixated on a manager with Championship experience but just appoint the best one available.

Who is that? Well you'd have to say Big Sam but is he going to be embroiled in a battle with the sweet F.A and would the Villa players respect him after what has just happened?

Seen Rowett being mentioned but would he leave an improving Blues?

I guess it would be Bruce for me not because he has Championship and promotional experience but his teams are always organised, generally play good football, no external baggage and no compensation needed.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well 6th place doesn't mean promotion. Top two are promotion but finishing 4th-6th is only a 1 in 4 chance (in fact being promoted from 6th probably happens less than that).

I would not count on going up via the lottery of the playoffs. 

I didnt say 6th place did mean promotion, but it gives us a chance. I was responding to someone who said thoughts of getting promoted this season are delusional.

25 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Not sure about mentally, but Glen Hoddle would get us right tactically.

What is the fascination with Glenn Hoddle?? He hasn't managed for 10 years and the last time he did he was crap.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

What is the fascination with Glenn Hoddle?? He hasn't managed for 10 years and the last time he did he was crap.

Its not a fascination, im just putting the name out there.  My fascination at the moment is with McCarthy or Warnock.  Someone with bags of experience, have got teams promoted and who will kick the living day lights out of the likes of Grealish if they put in performances like he did against Preston and Barnsley.

Edited by HeyAnty

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly not that opposed to the idea, if he can get his head straight. A big if, but I fear he's permanently scarred. Scars that are more likely to reopen at the club where he got them in the first place.

I think it would be a bad move for him but I must say the more managers come and go the more he looks like a genius!

• Like 1