PieFacE

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Other teams like Chelsea, Man City, Spurs and Liverpool have left them behind though. Maybe top 4 Arsenal but Title I think is beyond them

Ordinarily I'd agree, and I'm not shy in sticking the knife in to Wenger, but the previous 2 champions had no European football, so the benefits are massive.  And we remember who one of those champions was too...  In terms of betting value, it's decent odds on Arsenal given their circumstances.

Lacazette deal done.  £52.7m according to Grauniad.  Looking forward to seeing him.  I've liked what I've seen up to now and I can't understand why the likes of Liverpool didn't seem to be interested.

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ordinarily I'd agree, and I'm not shy in sticking the knife in to Wenger, but the previous 2 champions had no European football, so the benefits are massive.  And we remember who one of those champions was too...  In terms of betting value, it's decent odds on Arsenal given their circumstances.

True but maybe the common denominator there was Kante and not the fact that both teams had no European football. Have Arsenal addressed that position? Liverpool are certainly trying to. 

A long time to go in this window but right now I'll be laying against Arsenal for the title again this season.

Ive no idea if this chap they've signed is any good or not, I don't watch enough CL to hold a view but I do know he in no way addresses their various weaknesses.

If as expected Sanchez moves on I'd argue they've gone backwards not forwards but that remains to be seen.

I get the logic re no CL football, but really have Arsenal improved so much as to be considered title contenders?

I know Chelsea and Leicester didn't have CL football but I think both are one off's in very different ways.

Arsenal will still lose too many games, they'll still go missing for a period of the season. They'll still be weak at the back and Wenger's tactics will still be found wanting in the games that really matter.

This signing is just the same as those that went before as I think will be the result.

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

A long time to go in this window but right now I'll be laying against Arsenal for the title again this season.

Ive no idea if this chap they've signed is any good or not, I don't watch enough CL to hold a view but I do know he in no way addresses their various weaknesses.

If as expected Sanchez moves on I'd argue they've gone backwards not forwards but that remains to be seen.

I get the logic re no CL football, but really have Arsenal improved so much as to be considered title contenders?

I know Chelsea and Leicester didn't have CL football but I think both are one off's in very different ways.

Arsenal will still lose too many games, they'll still go missing for a period of the season. They'll still be weak at the back and Wenger's tactics will still be found wanting in the games that really matter.

This signing is just the same as those that went before as I think will be the result.

If Sanchez goes I cant see them even getting top 4 

Edited by PaulC

23 hours ago, PaulC said:

The money Sanchez and Ozil are demanding to stay at Arsenal is ridiculous. It makes me hate football. 

The thing is if Arsenal don't pay them, Arsenal can guarantee any chance at top 4 gone which in turn would make them lose even more money since Champs league is huge money maker. 

Way it's shaping up now winning the europa league will probably be easier than finishing top 4 given the respective standards.

Can see Arsenal going all out for that after xmas unless Bayern Munich drop into the competition of course!

Could be famous last words but I do not think Lacazette will do particularly well. He's a Jermaine Defoe-esque, sharp finisher who plays of the last man. But his goalscoring record whilst obviously very good, is largely down to being at one of the better teams in a really poor league where defences are shit. 

A £50m striker should be hitting what 25-30 league goals? I reckon he'll get half that. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Way it's shaping up now winning the europa league will probably be easier than finishing top 4 given the respective standards.

Can see Arsenal going all out for that after xmas unless Bayern Munich drop into the competition of course!

A very interesting point Chris. Its easier to win the Europa league than finish top 4 in the Premier League imo. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think he'll wheel out his league cup squad for it, Ospina,  iwobi, holding etc

I think pre xmas he'll do that.

Man. United last season were like that, group stages it was Mourinho whining about wanting to be in the champions league. They even lost 2 games in the groups.

I think once you hit the knock outs you have to reassess. If Arsenal are well adrift of top 4 their priority has to win it so they need to go full strength like Man. United did from February ownwards.

On 7/6/2017 at 21:03, PaulC said:

The money Sanchez and Ozil are demanding to stay at Arsenal is ridiculous. It makes me hate football. 

It's not ridiculous though, it's just the going rate for top class footballers, as a side note I don't think osil is top class. Players just want the best money they can get and when lukaku is going for £90m then that wage money is quite alot. I don't understand why people get upset, it's just capitalism at work. If the premier league sign a 5 billion dollar deal, then the players should get their share. 

Well I don't think Sanchez is a top level player he's the level below. Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, lewandowski Neymar, and Bale I think are better than him.

Anyway hes probably asking that because he wants to join Man City

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 11:05, Dr_Pangloss said:

Could be famous last words but I do not think Lacazette will do particularly well. He's a Jermaine Defoe-esque, sharp finisher who plays of the last man. But his goalscoring record whilst obviously very good, is largely down to being at one of the better teams in a really poor league where defences are shit. 

A £50m striker should be hitting what 25-30 league goals? I reckon he'll get half that. 

The French league is actually notoriously hard to score in.

Cavani, Zlatan & Lacazette have had great seasons in the last few years.

But other than that it is very rare that someone scores more than 20 goals in a 38 game season.

It's a rough and defensively strong league. And the Lyon that Lacazette has scored for has gone thought a re-build after paying for their new stadium and is not the Lyon of old where Aulas spunked money at them and they excelled in the CL every season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sne said:

The French league is actually notoriously hard to score in.

Cavani, Zlatan & Lacazette have had great seasons in the last few years.

But other than that it is very rare that someone scores more than 20 goals in a 38 game season.

It's a rough and defensively strong league. And the Lyon that Lacazette has scored for has gone thought a re-build after paying for their new stadium and is not the Lyon of old where Aulas spunked money at them and they excelled in the CL every season.

Bafetimbi Gomis got 20 last year and a half arsed Balotelli had a better than 1 in 2 strike rate. I don't watch the league but I suspect it isn't that tough.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Bafetimbi Gomis got 20 last year and a half arsed Balotelli had a better than 1 in 2 strike rate. I don't watch the league but I suspect it isn't that tough.

Players having the odd good goalscoring season happens in every league. Grant Holt had 15 in the PL not long ago.

Balotelli is a rather good player on the days he can be bothered, and 4 of his goals were pens.

I suggest watching it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Players having the odd good goalscoring season happens in every league. Grant Holt had 15 in the PL not long ago.

Balotelli is a rather good player on the days he can be bothered, and 4 of his goals were pens.

I suggest watching it.

Just checked the stats compared to other leagues. You are right the French league has a lower goals per game ratio over the last 5 years than the other top European leagues and when you take into account PSG and last season Monaco normally get over 100 goals a season then that does lower it even further. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 16:55, BOF said:

it's decent odds on Arsenal given their circumstances.

It would be if they could keep Sanchez and lacazette, but they will lose Sanchez which means they are back to square one. There's no sense of progress, more of an appetite to stand still which leads to fans/players not aiming for the best or accepting when the team fall short.

If you're an Arsenal player you can live the London life and accept the europa league on a Thursday, who cares. You're getting paid anyway.

• Like 1

Â