The Championship thread

TrentVilla

• 2 weeks later...

6th placed team, currently Bristol are 9 points ahead of us with 2 games in hand.

7th placed Derby are 7 points ahead, also with 2 games in hand.

Safe to say we are not reaching the play off this season so a bit pointless to use that thread for the remainder of the season.

As it’s over for us, do we have any preferences for who we’d like to go up?

Immediately I’m thinking Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United as overall they’ve been the best three and will be out of the way for us next season.

However, I can easily imagine if Leeds fail to go up this year, Bielsa will most likely explode meaning Leeds won’t be a impressive next season.

norwich to see what farke does but i would expect him to tell a story we've all seen before

bristol because they can play some good stuff

sheffield utd would be a great achievement

and then not leeds because i cant stand them and want to see them crash and burn, not baggies because even taking the rivalry out of it i dont see what they offer the league, another team content to finish 14th for 10 seasons running, derby the media will wank themselves silly over frank, boro because pulis is a dick, forest because MON is a dick and blues is obvious

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

However, I can easily imagine if Leeds fail to go up this year, Bielsa will most likely explode meaning Leeds won’t be a impressive next season.

Think you are right. Bielsa will not be at Leeds should they fail to go up, and they will not find another manager at his level.

But on the other hand I kinda want the bigger clubs to be in the PL as I'm sick of seeing nothing clubs like Brighton, Cardiff, Huddersfield and what not.

Don't get me wrong, what they've done is really impressive and fair dues to them. But as a neutral I much rather watch Leeds vs Spurs than Bournemouth vs Bristol City.

Bigger and better stadiums, more fans, more history, bigger morons....

How I'm I supposed to have an opinion on Huddersfield? :D 

Edited by sne

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

bristol because they can play some good stuff

See, I want to say “yeah ok, Bristol City would be ok by me.” I don’t mind that Bristol City supporter who posts on here either.

However, they made such a big song and dance about Joe Bryan choosing Fulham over us, sending out congratulatory tweets when selling a player...imagine what they’d be like if they won the play offs. We’ll have a season of Lee Johnson trekking across Europe in search of the favourite wines for each of the managers.

I’d rather Lampard did it with Derby to be honest. Mainly because it’s the least distasteful of the remaining options.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

As it’s over for us, do we have any preferences for who we’d like to go up?

Immediately I’m thinking Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United as overall they’ve been the best three and will be out of the way for us next season.

I don't really like seeing yo yo teams going up tbh. Always feels like a wasted promotion when a Reading, Hull or Boro go up. As good as Norwich have played they've been in premier league very recently, went down in 2014, came straight back up and relegated in 2016.

Always prefer to see teams who haven't been in top division for ages getting a shot so would actually prefer to see Leeds going up ahead of Norwich.

In an ideal world Leeds and Sheffield United top 2. Think those two would be decent additions to premier league and neither made an appearence in it since 2007. Bristol City winning the play offs (when did they last play in the top division?)

Boro and West Brom to stay down as they had chance to build in premier league and couldn't do anything. Will make next season tougher for us but always going to be 4-5 decent teams in championship.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Think you are right. Bielsa will not be at Leeds should they fail to go up, and they will not find another manager at his level.

But on the other hand I kinda want the bigger clubs to be in the PL as I'm sick of seeing nothing clubs like Brighton, Cardiff, Huddersfield and what not.

Don't get me wrong, what they've done is really impressive and fair dues to them. But as a neutral I much rather watch Leeds vs Spurs than Bournemouth vs Bristol City.

not having a go at you but I hate this attitude and it actually a problem Villa fans have that big clubs have some divine right to be in a league BUT Leeds are not really a team to even contest that. 24 teams have spent longer in top flight than Leeds including Burnley, blues, Sheffield United and Bolton

Actually 11 Championship clubs have spent more seasons in top flight than Leeds and one League 1 team

1 hour ago, sne said:

Can see what you're saying but flip side is Watford and Bournemouth both went up in 2015 (neither has as good a history as Huddersfield) and both have established themselves in premier league playing good football.

It's tough to say who can do well and not....I thought Fulham would be comfortable mid table given their run last season and Cardiff would be as good as down by now and the opposite has happened for both.

Ideally always like to see a club who hasn't played top flight football for 10 years + make it. Say the play off final the other year Hull v Sheff Weds, was desperate for Sheffield Wednesday to win that. Hull predictably came up, offered little due to their ownership and came straight back down.

When we talk of long suffering clubs Preston North End are right up there, last played top flight football in the mid 1960s!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not having a go at you but I hate this attitude and it actually a problem Villa fans have that big clubs have some divine right to be in a league BUT Leeds are not really a team to even contest that. 24 teams have spent longer in top flight than Leeds including Burnley, blues, Sheffield United and Bolton

Actually 11 Championship clubs have spent more seasons in top flight than Leeds and one League 1 team

well it's just my preferences so I have no problem with people disagreeing with them. :D 

Have a bunch of friends who are Leeds fans, never met someone who is a Burnley fan or Birmingham City fan for that matter.

It's nothing to do with entitlement for me.

I get why people might enjoy other things like some plucky underdog or whatever. I'm fine with that.

Edited by sne

out of all the teams in the championship leeds are definitely the most interesting one if they get promoted, not even close IMO, including us, they would become more interesting than 65% of the league, including watford, everton, bournemouth, newcastle etc they might play good football but does anyone seriously give a **** what bournemouth do all summer?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Can see what you're saying but flip side is Watford and Bournemouth both went up in 2015 (neither has as good a history as Huddersfield) and both have established themselves in premier league playing good football.

It's tough to say who can do well and not....I thought Fulham would be comfortable mid table given their run last season and Cardiff would be as good as down by now and the opposite has happened for both.

Ideally always like to see a club who hasn't played top flight football for 10 years + make it. Say the play off final the other year Hull v Sheff Weds, was desperate for Sheffield Wednesday to win that. Hull predictably came up, offered little due to their ownership and came straight back down.

When we talk of long suffering clubs Preston North End are right up there, last played top flight football in the mid 1960s!

I also thought that Fulham would adapt to the Premier League fairly quickly and finish 10 to 14th but they could not adapt defensively. I think Leeds & Norwich can make it due to the quality of their coaching and the fact that they can play more than one style.

Watford & Bournemouth fully deserve to be there based on performance. 

Â