The Championship thread

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

What does it matter if I've seen him once, twice or ten times on TV or in person? I've seen enough to know he's got a lot of potential which is all that matters.

If your posts weren't so derogatory maybe I'd offer you a better answer.

How is 

'seen him play much mate' or even the other post derogatory? In fact, compared to others, I've been fairly respectful and withdrawn to you of late. 

I know I wanted to say a lot more but haven't. This smacks of excuse. The fact you didn't originally reply (and if you ignored it considering how nicely I asked then that's very disrespectful), then won't give me an answer suggests to me you've seen very little of the player, not enough to form a basis to see 'lots of potential' anyway.

And Paul Heckingbottom, the man who has bought 4 players for Barnsley.

one of which spent half the season out on loan last year? Or the other one who played 7 times? Or the other one who scored 7 in 42 (prolific isn't it). Or the other one who signed in January and scored 1 and 2 assists in 26 games? Not exactly made a difference has it.

the free transfers (barring yiadom who was clearly a good signing) played about 20 games between 4 of them. The loan signing (barring Ryan Kent from Liverpool who managed 3 assists and 3 goals in over 40 games, wow!!!) were very hit and miss. 2 good signings in over 10?

If anything, I'd say the players he already had there (bearing in mind he's been there a year) were making the difference and most will probably leave (hourihane, flint, yiadom, Watkins, scowen, Marc Roberts all linked with moves away/gone/out of contract) 

I'd put my neck on the line and say Barnsley will struggle next season and what Heckingbottom has 'built' could possibly look really poor!

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Sessegnon has signed a contract with Flum.  Shit anyway.  Was kinda hoping he'd move up and neatly out of our way :)

Good decision for me.

The kid has possibly 20 years left in the game, there is no need to rush and join a big club for the sake of it like Patrick Roberts did and then just get loaned out to a level even worse than Fulham (SPL is not as strong as the championship imo).

Sessegnon annoyingly made the right decision for his career. Fulham is the best place for him to be to focus on his football which is a pain because he is pretty good and our defense struggled against him. 

TBF on the lad I was being tongue in cheek and a little Villa-centric. I completely agree he has done the right thing for himself, all things being equal.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Could some twitter fellow do me a favour?

#YourOdds to William Hill and request odds on best championship defence being ours?

Thanks in advance, I'm not on twitter

Done. I'll let you know what I get back.

• Thanks 1

Just gone back through this thread and it's been dorment for a couple of weeks. 

Derby have lost Hughes and Ince and brought in Huddlestone. Making them slightly weaker to me. No doubt they'll be around the top 6 but can't see them running away with it. 

Boro have bought expensively with Assombalonga and Braithwaite coming in, and they've kept together the core of the squad that got them up originally. Plus they've added that dynamite winger...

Sunderland and Hull both in disarray so can't see them challenging. 

Leeds and Wednesday will be in and around top 6

Fulham under Jokanovic are tasty, so will be in the mix. 

Plenty of competition, but nothing I am overly worried about. We should fear none of these with the squad we have assembled. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Just gone back through this thread and it's been dorment for a couple of weeks. 

Derby have lost Hughes and Ince and brought in Huddlestone. Making them slightly weaker to me. No doubt they'll be around the top 6 but can't see them running away with it. 

Boro have bought expensively with Assombalonga and Braithwaite coming in, and they've kept together the core of the squad that got them up originally. Plus they've added that dynamite winger...

Sunderland and Hull both in disarray so can't see them challenging. 

Leeds and Wednesday will be in and around top 6

Fulham under Jokanovic are tasty, so will be in the mix. 

Plenty of competition, but nothing I am overly worried about. We should fear none of these with the squad we have assembled. 

I think a few will leave boro tbh. Cant see adama staying on those wages. 

I think blose wilk be up there too unfortunately and you cabt rule out wolves either

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think a few will leave boro tbh. Cant see adama staying on those wages. 

I think blose wilk be up there too unfortunately and you cabt rule out wolves either

I can see another club taking a risk with Adama with his potential. 

Yeah, can't rule out Blues or Wolves. Wolves have some quality players, but will it click with the new manager. 

Can't see Reading challenging again, but no doubt there'll be a surprise package or two. 

29 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I can see another club taking a risk with Adama with his potential. 

Yeah, can't rule out Blues or Wolves. Wolves have some quality players, but will it click with the new manager. 

Can't see Reading challenging again, but no doubt there'll be a surprise package or two. 

i think if we can get our arse in gear, will between us, derby, boro, wednesday and wolves for top 5 

So a young Middlesbrough defender is the latest footballer to be diagnosed with leukaemia.  Always an awful illness, of course, but seems particularly unfair on an 18 year old :(

Middlesbrough academy player Anthony Renton has been diagnosed with leukaemia.

The 18-year-old defender, who signed his first professional deal at the Riverside in April 2017, has been admitted to the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle for treatment.

(Link:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40705937)

On 23/06/2017 at 12:29, One For The Road said:

1. Middlesbrough

2. Reading

3. Derby

4. Fulham

5. Leeds

6. Sheffield Weds

Having seen how the window has panned out over the last month I think I would replace Derby with Wolves. Other than that I reckon this will be roughly how it finishes.

Edited by One For The Road

4 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Having seen how the window has panned out over the last month I think I would replace Derby with Wolves. Other than that I reckon this will be roughly how it finishes.

The thing with Wolves is they have signed 10 players!! How the hell are they are going to mould straight up? We know from personal experience it dont work no matter how good the players as indivduals are. It takes time

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing with Wolves is they have signed 10 players!! How the hell are they are going to mould straight up? We know from personal experience it dont work no matter how good the players as indivduals are. It takes time

That depends on the players. Personally I think the players they have signed are better than the ones that we brought in last year. I also don't think they will go straight up. I think they will make the play-offs. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

On 20/07/2017 at 01:21, villan-scott said:

Can't see Reading challenging again

As one of my mates said the other day, Reading are a side who might look ordinary when we play them but look at the table a few weeks down the line and they'll have quietly put a run of 8 wins together. I think they'll be up there.

I'd say the top 8 will be us, Boro, Wednesday, Leeds, Reading, Fulham, Hull and Wolves. In any order but we should be finishing top2 given our squad. Need to avoid disastrous runs like last January. If Kodjia stays fit I think we'll be fine, we won't concede many.

• Like 1

wolves buying some quality players and using unusual tactics (3-4-3 formation) if they can get the squad well drilled and their new fitness coach keeps them up to scratch they'll win it

i dont think they will have that fitness though, should be able to stretch them with good wide play

Â