The Championship thread

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Think they'll be mid table at best personally.

Mid table at best? That doesn't bode well for us then as I expect them to be at least 3 or 4 places above us come May. We both had poor seasons last year but I think they have a better squad than we do and definitely a better manager.

Let's see what happens but I have them as finishing around 3rd or 4th and us around 7th or 8th. 

Edited by One For The Road

8 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Mid table at best? That doesn't bode well for us then as I expect them to be at least 3 or 4 places above us come May. We both had poor seasons last year but I think they have a better squad than we do and definitely a better manager.

Let's see what happens but I have them as finishing around 3rd or 4th and us around 7th or 8th. 

Better manager? Based on what exactly? He has no experience in english football. He could do great but look at some examples ramos, pepe mel, and own very own remi garde all flopped in emglish football despite having great reputations abroad. I think despite bruces faults i think ill stick with him as he has the cv to back it up at this level. Furthermore i think bruce sees where we were a mess last season and addressed this.

Wolves arguably have the better individual players, however that doesnt mean they have the best TEAM

Have to say I love the approach Wolves have taken, although the agent connection is of course shady as ...

They're doing things the way I hoped we would when we got a new owner.

Nothing to say it's the right way, a completely different gamble than our's that might not work at all. But I hope it does.

Obviously not at our expense.

Either way I'm sure they will make the money back on the players they've signed, unlike us.

But of course the big winner will be Jorge Mendes.

• Like 1

Still a fair chunk of the window open so it could all change with a few teams yet, especially Sunderland and Hull who have a bit of cash. Farke at Norwich has kinda slipped under the radar so far and I reckon they'll have a bit to spend. It will be interesting to me to see how much these 3 have to spend.

Wolves remind me a bit of us 2 years ago. Lots of new players from abroad with promise. Only difference being Costa looked like one of the best players in this league last year I suppose. And they got Ruddy. It depends how quickly it all clicks for them imo. I doubt it will be straight away. Surprised people are totally discounting Sunderland from the play off mix. I can see them being in the hard to beat category of teams along with Reading, despite their issues. Middlesboro look well set although they've spent a lot over the last couple of years.  I think most people think Sheff Weds and Fulham can easily pick up where they left off and they've both added good players to their squads (Piazon/Boyd etc). I'd be fairly surprised if the top 5 wasn't (in some order) Villa, Boro, Reading, Fulham and Sheff Weds.

Can't really see Derby or Leeds doing much better than last year if I'm honest.

Looking at the various squads at the moment I think Boro and us should be pretty confident heading into the season.

33 minutes ago, sne said:

Have to say I love the approach Wolves have taken, although the agent connection is of course shady as ...

They're doing things the way I hoped we would when we got a new owner.

Nothing to say it's the right way, a completely different gamble than our's that might not work at all. But I hope it does.

Obviously not at our expense.

Either way I'm sure they will make the money back on the players they've signed, unlike us.

But of course the big winner will be Jorge Mendes.

I dont see how Wolves are affording all these players though. They have no parachute payments. I think they are in serious trouble of falling foul to FFA

I am happy with the approach we have taken this summer. We have spent less than 5m in transfer fees this summer 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I dont see how Wolves are affording all these players though. They have no parachute payments. I think they are in serious trouble of falling foul to FFA

I am happy with the approach we have taken this summer. We have spent less than 5m in transfer fees this summer 

But we spent what was it £70 m+ last season  mostly on players with negative re-sale value and got 13th for it.

So we are in even bigger trouble with FFA.

The approach we've taken this summer is out of necessity IMO.

34 minutes ago, sne said:

But we spent what was it £70 m+ last season  mostly on players with negative re-sale value and got 13th for it.

So we are in even bigger trouble with FFA.

The approach we've taken this summer is out of necessity IMO.

But teh difference is we had the parachute payments so we could afford to do it how can wolves? 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

But teh difference is we had the parachute payments so we could afford to do it how can wolves? 

We can't thou.

The parachute money (was it about £50 m last season?) covered about 60% of our wages and nothing more, the rest came from Xia's pockets.

Just like Wolves money comes from their owners pockets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

We can't thou.

The parachute money (was it about £50 m last season?) covered about 60% of our wages and nothing more, the rest came from Xia's pockets.

Just like Wolves money comes from their owners pockets.

But then my question is we are going to get done how are Wolves not? they have been in this league longer than us

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But then my question is we are going to get done how are Wolves not? they have been in this league longer than us

Nothing saying they won't, although they've spent a whole lot less than us. 

They are making a different gamble than us, but will need promotion as well soon. 

Think their new assets are easier to sell than ours thou. If the need arises. 

Would be nice if theswissramble did a new article about us (and them)

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Better manager? Based on what exactly? He has no experience in english football. He could do great but look at some examples ramos, pepe mel, and own very own remi garde all flopped in emglish football despite having great reputations abroad. I think despite bruces faults i think ill stick with him as he has the cv to back it up at this level. Furthermore i think bruce sees where we were a mess last season and addressed this.

Wolves arguably have the better individual players, however that doesnt mean they have the best TEAM

Wagner, Jokanovic, Stam have no experience of English football and done fine jobs. this experience thing is a bit of a BS excuse to hire journeymen English managers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

My outsiders for top 6 would be Forest actually.

Excellent manager in Warburton and they've made some decent signings like Darryl Murphy and Dawrika.

New owners though who sound as dodgy as Al-Fawrz though!

No chance.

On 26/07/2017 at 20:17, TrentVilla said:

No chance.

You're too close to be objective ;)

Although you were bang on last season.

Just intrigued who Trent thinks will have a good season and be top 6 as so far he seems to have about 20 clubs stuck in mid table or lower. :lol:

Us, Derby, Sunderland, Hull, Forest, SHA, Wolves then you add in the likes of Burton, Bolton, Millwall, QPR and Ipswich where staying up would be a good season.

Â