The Championship thread

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

absolutely no idea why we are favorites when we finished 13th

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If bruce can get these guys playing, scoring goals (which they are capable of doing) i think we could really be a menace in this league 

You've answered your own question.  The bookie has to be wary of the best case scenario.  IF we click then we're the biggest threat in the league.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats promotion odds? might stick a tenner on boro 10/1 is good odds 

I can only get their outright odds at the moment.

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

You've answered your own question.  The bookie has to be wary of the best case scenario.  IF we click then we're the biggest threat in the league.

:crylaugh:Its so true after reading that 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Now that we know the line-up, here are BetVictor's current odds for next season's Championship.

6/1 - Aston Villa
8/1 - Norwich
10/1 - Middlesbrough
10/1 - Sheffield Wednesday
10/1 - Fulham
12/1 - Derby County
14/1 - Sunderland
16/1 - Hull City
16/1 - Wolves
16/1 - Leeds United
16/1 - Reading
20/1 - Brentford
25/1 - Sheffield United
25/1 - Notts Forest
25/1 - Cardiff City
25/1 - Bristol City
40/1 - Preston North End
40/1 - sha
50/1 - QPR
66/1 - Millwall
66/1 - Barnsley
66/1 - Ipswich
100/1 - Bolton Wanderers
100/1 - Burton Albion

I stuck a quid on Bolton for the simple reason that being a promoted side they could do well and it's not beyond possibility to go up twice, and they seem over-priced for a biggish side.

Why are Sheffield United so high? Did they storm League One?

On 5/29/2017 at 18:12, VillaChris said:

I like seeing new teams in the top flight anyway. Huddersfield haven't played in the top division for 45 years, Reading played prem 3 times in last 10 years and have brought very little to the league. Same reasons why I wanted Sheff Weds to beat Hull in last seasons game.

in fairness they brought NIcky Shorey and Steve Sidwell to our attention ;) 

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They won it by nearly 15 points plus back to back promotions seem more common these days so bookies probably dont want to get stung 

40 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They got 100pts and won the league by 14pts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, striker said:

Thought he was bang average yesterday. Reminded me so much of another midfielder who Villa sold to Burnley.

Would much rather have Fulham's Tom Cairney.

The game itself was turgid with a total lack of quality on show. How Villa didn't beat these two teams to the playoffs is beyond me.

Didn't see the final so I can't comment on his game, but he offers a lot more going forward than AW usually.

Cardiff are surely good each way odds there, we know Warnock's record at this level and they had a strong second half of the season. They'll easily be top 6 contenders.

I know a few on this forum don't rate Rowett but look at their squad. Derby will be automatic contenders although they have an Arsenal like tendency to bottle things at crucial stages of the season.

Wouldn't touch any of the relegated teams, don't even know who'll manage any of them yet so should be an advantage for us that.

22 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

as of now those odds are like FM.

All conjecture of what should be without even considering what a f***up we are.

You should contact them straight away and let them know their error.  Don't keep that stuff bottled up.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

You should contact them straight away and let them know their error.  Don't keep that stuff bottled up.

but do you think they'd listen to reasoning?

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

but do you think they'd listen to reasoning?

No I think the bookie knows what he's talking about.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

No I think the bookie knows what he's talking about.

regarding setting odds for people to give them a pool of money yes.

They win from losing bets not neccessarily being of knowledge

they give odds only for the wedge to get thinner

31 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

regarding setting odds for people to give them a pool of money yes.

They win from losing bets not neccessarily being of knowledge

they give odds only for the wedge to get thinner

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Think Bolton have run into money trouble again. Mid table would be a very good season for them.

I think the basic reasoning for us being favourites is probably law of averages....e.g. a club of our size will eventually get out of this division like Sheffield eventually did from league one and Pompey from league 2. So Bookies won't want to price us up and then see it all click and us romp home with 100 points from a 20-1 shot or something.

That and neutral punters who wouldn't be analysing to death like we do on here will look at SB and his 4 promotions, a good squad of championship players and our general history of being a top flight team for the last 30 years and think yeah Villa will go back up this season and lump on.

So those two factors meet and you get us as favourites. Same criteria they'd have used for Newcastle last season.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think Barnsley will be o.k. They score goals, Heckinbottom showed he was a capable manager at this level and they have a great record of signing players from lower down the leagues and turning them into saleable assets.

Sorry to be quoting you cross-threads.  Just wanted to bring the discussion into a more appropriate thread.  I'd say they're basing those odds on the fact that over the last half of last season - a full 23 games - Barnsley were 22nd in the league, and one of the sides below them was Rotherham who are now gone.  The other being our dear neighbours.  So if that form were to continue ... Barnsley would be doomed.

Â