The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Tough to see Reading making top 6 next year. Stam got the most out of this group and it's such a tough game to recover mentally from even after a few months. That said Reading actually won the league the season after losing their last PO final!

• Like 1

I think this was the better result for us. I can see someone picking up Stam at some point, and there's not much to this Reading side. The fact they finished 3rd and got to the final was a brilliant achievement. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would still prefer Huddersfield to do it today, Reading is a nothing club in the premier league (same with Hull).

I hate comments like this.

Why are Reading a nothing club? Why are Hull a nothing club? Why are Huddersfield any better?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I hate comments like this.

Why are Reading a nothing club? Why are Hull a nothing club? Why are Huddersfield any better?

I've been to the Madjeski to watch Reading play Walsall and for a start I hate stadium miles out of the town centre, it took 15 minutes to get there on the bus from the station ffs. You can walk to HUddersfield's one from the station in about 10 minutes.

Reading as a place is only 30 minutes from London so gets plenty of overspill and lots of Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal fans there. I didn't really get a football feel when I was there, just fans with happy clapper hands and their end behind the goal was practically empty as all their fans preferred to congregate in the corner by the Walsall fans and goad them for some reason.

It's good to see Yorkshire finally get a prem team again, staggering they haven't had one for 10 years.

I like seeing new teams in the top flight anyway. Huddersfield haven't played in the top division for 45 years, Reading played prem 3 times in last 10 years and have brought very little to the league. Same reasons why I wanted Sheff Weds to beat Hull in last seasons game.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Reading played prem 3 times in last 10 years and have brought very little to the league. Same reasons why I wanted Sheff Weds to beat Hull in last seasons game.

I don't even understand what "bringing to the league" is. I imagine you consider us to be in the same bracket?

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bonkers. 

just a bit of fun, it's not keeping me up at night. I would laugh at the above scenario should it happen though, as a result of their no show against SHA.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't even understand what "bringing to the league" is. I imagine you consider us to be in the same bracket?

What did they bring to the league last time they went up, 11/12? They went straight back down. Same as Hull. I've said I dislike the same clubs coming up to the prem and then going down straight away, Watford and Palace used to be like this aswell but at least have stabilised. 

Give new teams or teams in the wilderness for a long time a chance, PNE, Leeds, Forest and Sheff Weds all in this criteria. Hopefully we won't be down in this league for long enough to be bracketed with those teams.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

What did they bring to the league last time they went up, 11/12? They went straight back down. Same as Hull. I've said I dislike the same clubs coming up to the prem and then going down straight away, Watford and Palace used to be like this aswell but at least have stabilised. 

Give new teams or teams in the wilderness for a long time a chance, PNE, Leeds, Forest and Sheff Weds all in this criteria. Hopefully we won't be down in this league for long enough to be bracketed with those teams.

How many of the players and management team are the same? Is it even the same owners?

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

It's not really their responsibility to 'bring something' to the league though is it? kinda out of their hands.

Bringing something to the league....

Playing fantastic football like Blackpool did in 10/11 being involved in many memorable games home and away.

Stoke city 08/09. Loudest fans in the country that year producing brilliant atmosphere at the Brit. Also produced the amusing sight of half their goals being assisted by a bloke throwing the ball 40 yards which won't happen again for a long while.

Leicester City 13/14. Produced probably the best story seen in British football for decades.

Bournemouth 14/15- Great football and top half finish with more improvement likely.

Southampton 11/12- 4 top half seasons in five years since coming back and a good supply of english internationals.

A few examples in recent seasons of teams who came up and offered something.

In fairness I don't mind Hull that much but it was clear with the situation of the club last summer they weren't going to offer much in the league this season and so it proved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Bringing something to the league....

Playing fantastic football like Blackpool did in 10/11 being involved in many memorable games home and away.

Stoke city 08/09. Loudest fans in the country that year producing brilliant atmosphere at the Brit. Also produced the amusing sight of half their goals being assisted by a bloke throwing the ball 40 yards which won't happen again for a long while.

Leicester City 13/14. Produced probably the best story seen in British football for decades.

Bournemouth 14/15- Great football and top half finish with more improvement likely.

Southampton 11/12- 4 top half seasons in five years since coming back and a good supply of english internationals.

A few examples in recent seasons of teams who came up and offered something.

In fairness I don't mind Hull that much but it was clear with the situation of the club last summer they weren't going to offer much in the league this season and so it proved.

yeah, that's my point. the team is totally different so how do you know what they're going to bring?

the fact that the fans are the same means nothing, as they have no effect on whether the football is good or not.

We'll go round in circles but Reading is just a team that I have a irrational dislike for them.

It's like when Wigan were in the prem and you used to get constant whining on these forums of what did they bring to the league with their half empty stadium and league of nations squad. Didn't mind them as it happens, they found time to win a FA cup.

Â