UKIP/Reform NF Ltd and their non-racist well informed supporters

chrisp65

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

This is the thing see, there are many people on the right, who believe Corbyn would introduce full Communism by Friday, if he could. In actual fact most of what Labour based their manifesto on, isn't that radical. It just shows how far neo liberalism dragged politics and the Labour party to the centre right.

tbf if Corbyn wins we'd all be on a 4 day week so if he hasn't done it by Thursday , it will have to wait until Monday :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf if Corbyn wins we'd all be on a 4 day week so if he hasn't done it by Thursday , it will have to wait until Monday :)

We should be on a 4 day week. There's not enough work to go around. And it'll only get worse with more automation. 

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Oh of course there's a lot in the middle and also crossovers but there is definitely a divide. I accept what you're saying though.

Age-01.png

Age%20predictor-01.png

and just because it's on the site (eek, don't shoot the messenger) it seems the more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to vote Labour (if assuming education level roughly correlates with intelligence)

Education-01.png

so according to that graph 3%, at18 will vote Tory and 0% at 80 will vote Labour

Even their own figures would proclaim that to be nonsense 

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

so according to that graph 3%, at18 will vote Tory and 0% at 80 will vote Labour

Even their own figures would proclaim that to be nonsense 

I believe it's smoothed. The graph above gives more accurate figures.

Labour / Tory crossover occurs at 47. 

Why is that then? Definite trend of turning conservative the older you get. Interesting. 

In an ageing population surely this is only going to be a good thing for the tories?

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

We should be on a 4 day week. There's not enough work to go around. And it'll only get worse with more automation. 

I wish a robot would do some of my work! Up to my bastard eyes in it! :D

Edited by Xela

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why is that then? Definite trend of turning conservative the older you get. Interesting. 

In an ageing population surely this is only going to be a good thing for the tories?

Who knew you were old before your time? ;):D

58 minutes ago, Xela said:

The crossover is a snapshot now. It's just as likely that the crossover point will move up 1 year every year.

45 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Who knew you were old before your time? ;):D

Must have been those formative years in the Bullingdon Club

7b37a2d28eb009c4bbb585cad46d875f.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm 43 now so potentially by the next election I'd have lost my social conscience and become an I'm alright Jack merchant. If that happens I'd hope euthanasia will have been legalised by then and I can be put out of my misery.

The fact that younger people are way more likely to vote Labour though does highlight why the Tories aren't at all keen on reducing the voting age to 16.

• Like 1

Well, I was a Labour voter for about 20 years or more but hit my 40's and stopped voting for them.

They'd moved to the right so I started looking for other lefties to vote for.

So the graphics are sort of half correct for me.

• Like 1

This idea that 'people become more conservative as they get older' is not uncontroversial in political science. People born in different generations change opinions in different ways and at different rates, and the direction is not always to the right. Some evidence in America suggests that people become 'imprinted' with political beliefs early, and then tend to maintain them throughout their lives. Obviously this is a generational effect, so there will be millions of opposing examples, but different cohorts tend to be pretty consistent in how they vote:

Generations1.jpg

I'm not aware of any similar research in the UK, but I'd be interested to see it. 

One big difference between young people and older people in the UK is the rate of home ownership, and that does seem to make a very large difference in the way people vote:

graph2-540x328.jpg

(from Shelter: http://blog.shelter.org.uk/2017/06/housing-and-the-2017-election-what-the-numbers-say/)

Essentially, I'm not convinced that 'being old' makes people become Conservative, in a way that can be disentangled from 'becoming a homeowner', 'becoming a shareholder', 'becoming wealthier', or whatever else. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

There is absolutely no evidence in those figures for that. Imagine in five years time the figures show the crossover point is 52? It as much supports the idea that different generations vote in different ways. Does anyone have the figures from 7 years ago? How close is the crossover point to 40?

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm 43 now so potentially by the next election I'd have lost my social conscience and become an I'm alright Jack merchant. If that happens I'd hope euthanasia will have been legalised by then and I can be put out of my misery.

The fact that younger people are way more likely to vote Labour though does highlight why the Tories aren't at all keen on reducing the voting age to 16.

I noticed Momentum have it even lower at 14 to be a member , brainwash them even earlier hey :)

Hope you don't mind me asking but you use the social conscience line a lot , do you genuinely believe it ? Do you think everything is really that black and white and people's  actions come down to where they put an X every few years ....

Â