Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Up until 5 years ago it was easy to get a season ticket, members of my family got one in the summer the season we got promoted by just speaking to the Villa and had many options to where there was available seating.  

I get that we are doing well and football is immensely popular at the moment but I’m yet to be convinced that we have either 30,000 genuine season ticket waiting list people who would snap up a ticket if it was available now, maybe 10,000 tops or if they would be general sale that we would sell anywhere near 60k in the lower class premier league games especially midweek games.

if it is genuine then the club would build a new stadium or make the stadium redevelopment plans grander but given they haven’t at the moment, they may be thinking the same as me.  If in the summer they lay out grand plans then I will believe it but as of today I’m not convinced the consistent demand is there.

Based on what happened last week I'd say an awful lot on that waiting list are members, so the actual NEW fan number is probably a lot lot lower.

When I last had one (McLeish), at the end of that season I didn't renew and they were literally begging me to have one, was offered discounts and allsorts. I only declined because I had other priorities, not because we were shit... I don't think 30k is accurate

Edited by Talldarkandransome
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

They are a very good set of fans but it’s a one club city with very few teams around them. Also when they first got relegated out of the premier league a few years back they had regular crowds of less than 40k in a 52k ground. They were giving away  10k free tickets not so long ago to try and fill the ground in the prem . Demand up there for a good team does out do us though but we are apples and oranges in terms of the type of areas we are situated in. We leak more fans to other clubs because there more teams around us and the ethnic make up is far different to Newcastle which also adds to it. 

For an outsider looking in its hard to explain how much of an island Newcastle is compared to us

For us lot who went to school with man utd and liverpool fans let alone baggies and wolves (Kidderminster 15 miles south of brum maybe 1 or 3 blue noses in a thousand kids) it's a no brainer what our problems are

The demographic of the city is also key, the roots aren't as deep for too many people in our catchment area 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Based on what happened last week I'd say an awful lot on that waiting list are members, so the actual NEW fan number is probably a lot lot lower

What do you mean, what happened last week?

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For an outsider looking in its hard to explain how much of an island Newcastle is compared to us

For us lot who went to school with man utd and liverpool fans let alone baggies and wolves (Kidderminster 15 miles south of brum maybe 1 or 3 blue noses in a thousand kids) it's a no brainer what our problems are

The demographic of the city is also key, the roots aren't as deep for too many people in our catchment area 

Which is why we really could do with a ground where we can offer 5-8,000 tickets for free or at major discount to school kids, so they grow up Villa fans rather than Man Utd/Liverpool fans. 

They will also come with an adult and spend money on the ground and shop. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

They are a very good set of fans but it’s a one club city with very few teams around them. Also when they first got relegated out of the premier league a few years back they had regular crowds of less than 40k in a 52k ground. They were giving away  10k free tickets not so long ago to try and fill the ground in the prem . Demand up there for a good team does out do us though but we are apples and oranges in terms of the type of areas we are situated in. We leak more fans to other clubs because there more teams around us and the ethnic make up is far different to Newcastle which also adds to it. 

It's population is 1/3 of birmingham's alone, add the rest of the West Midlands,  Shropshire,  Worcestershire to our catchment area and we have a huge catchment area. You can also add the HS2 route into London for the tourist fan. Newcastle have some great fans, there's no potential for growth, we have a huge potential in the premier league to become a leader.

58 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Even if only 10,000 of our 35k+ waiting list actually took up the option of a season tickets, that takes our current attendance from 42k to 52k.

So you dont think that any of those 10k are currently buying match tickets? They are all just waiting?

I don't think that's the case and so you are counting people twice.

FWIW I dont think we have anything like 30k active waiting list people who would purchase a season ticket given the chance.

I think a 50k stadoum would be filled for most games. Any bigger and I doubt it would be full for the majority of games.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Well if you are right,  and i dont think you are,  mwe have hit our ceiling. As for the club thinking like that......have you seen our new shareholders and the type of expertise they have brought on board? I don't think they are here to add 3000 seats to an ageing stadium. 

Who knows.  As I said if they release new plans then I’ll believe it but I’m not there at the moment.  The club have said they aren’t moving away to a new stadium and we are restricted how much more we can increase the current ground by and the current proposal has been put on hold which also adds weight to my view.  If we could get 60k+ plus then the club wouldn’t have given up so easily the comment that we will not move from the site.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Who knows.  As I said if they release new plans then I’ll believe it but I’m not there at the moment.  The club have said they aren’t moving away to a new stadium and we are restricted how much more we can increase the current ground by and the current proposal has been put on hold which also adds weight to my view.  If we could get 60k+ plus then the club wouldn’t have given up so easily the comment that we will not move from the site.

The club said no plans at that time , since then we have new shareholders,  believe, I do. It will change the club though from being a niche PL also ran into a club fighting on and off the pitch to compete. Some existing fans will not like it though, some people don't  like change, even if its for the club to get back to where it belongs.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Even if only 10,000 of our 35k+ waiting list actually took up the option of a season tickets, that takes our current attendance from 42k to 52k. Add in 2k extra hospitality and 1k extra away fans capacity, then we would already be averaging 55k for a rubbish category B game. 

Then we’d have lots of casual fans who would buy the extra 5k tickets that would be on general sale, even if that was only for the big 6 games, Wolves game and 4 CL games, that’s 50% of our games selling out a 60k stadium. 

The smaller games probably only attract an extra 2k casual fans and so attendance averages 57k for those games. 

You’re assuming the 10k are new fans and not the current people who get single tickets.  We have 33k season tickets, plus 10k new season tickets, then let’s say 7k for casual and corporate fans get 50k probably more like it.  Big games would fill 60k, but smaller games might not hit 50k.

As I say the club will have a better understanding whether demand is really there you’d hope but 40k+ has been our crowd size for so decades, to think we have 60k consistently seems a big call imo.

7 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Are we married or summat

The demand at the members criteria level, sold out rapidly with the help of the appalling app

Mate, I'm sure its just the surprise warm weather cooking my brain or something but you've totally lost me. For what its worth, I understand my Mrs perfectly.
The app is shite, gotcha. Agreed. I don't know how you're linking that to what we're talking about but OK.

42 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

And while a 50k+ stadium would be great, I just don't think we'd fill it enough to justify the cost.... not yet anyway

I think we would. As long as we are around the top 6 in the prem. We would definitely have a further 15k season ticket holders of that 30k waiting list who would take up the offer, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Mate, I'm sure its just the surprise warm weather cooking my brain or something but you've totally lost me. For what its worth, I understand my Mrs perfectly.
The app is shite, gotcha. Agreed. I don't know how you're linking that to what we're talking about but OK.

I meant no offence

The numbers of NEW fans on the waiting list, I think most of them are members, who go to some games already. So I think a 50k ish capacity would be ok, anything bigger and I just don't think we'd fill it often enough.

I think a huge chunk of the waiting list are family members or friends of existing season ticket holders. It's not like it's new fans who might need convincing. There's a huge backlog of fans who would have naturally become season ticket holders irrespective or what league or how well we are doing. 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

They will wait until the season is over. There not going to take anything away from our on pitch success, after that my guess is the flood gates Will open.

That's interesting, is that a widely held view on the stadium, that we're waiting for a big summer announcement?

I think we'll have a piece on the new hospitality areas once they're underway or shortly before they complete, hopefully if it's done this summer we'll have a bit about the warehouse and we'll undoubtedly have something on the shop relaunch - but I'm not expecting the 'big reveal' on future plans any time imminently, or indeed for a couple of year most likely.

I hope you're right.

• Like 1

Hasn’t it already come out that all we are changing is converting an existing area into an area where they can charge fans more money to watch the game? Howcome all the structural changes and new stadium talk is still going on? We’re going to be the last side in the country to get a new ground. 

• Like 1

I think in terms of demand it's easy to overlook the demand that the league itself creates - more and more I'm seeing fans at Villa Park that are there to watch a Premier League game rather than just see Villa - fans from abroad as part of their holiday, fans who've come to see one of their nations players, fans who have picked Villa as their team and happen to be visiting the UK, people from all over the UK.

Our demand used to be based entirely on how many people in and around Birmingham support Villa - that's not what the Premier league is anymore - there are thousands of people in the UK who will add 'see a Premier league' game to their holiday or their birthday list - and they'll go to whoever is convenient - they don't necessarily 'only come to see the Villa'.

• Like 1

Â