Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

How many seats are we losing by having no North stand for 2yrs and how many season ticket holders are there currently? 

Assuming the North stand season tickets will be relocated in rest of stadium for 2yrs and it’ll basically be impossible for anyone else to go. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villaglint said:

How many seats are we losing by having no North stand for 2yrs and how many season ticket holders are there currently? 

Assuming the North stand season tickets will be relocated in rest of stadium for 2yrs and it’ll basically be impossible for anyone else to go. 

I really hope the board don't use this as a chance to hike the prices again, knowing that they'll still sell out.😡

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What sites would we be looking at?

NEC is obvious area with the transport links and potential parking but apparently not enough land for 60k stadium around there. And it would all feel a bit West Ham going to soulless bowl miles from where our heritage is.

Smithfield site the other side of the Bullring is huge but I assume that's been snapped up.

People talked about the Alex stadium but there's no way you could get that up to 60k surely. It's even more wedged in than VP is with one station compared to the three VP has.

I suppose Aston Park would be a non-starter...

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Access to the lower north is on Witton lane so perhaps people could still get to that even when all of the area behind the North is  closed off. But as people have said if they need to take up cables etc then it will all have to be closed off.

The problem is the hump.

If you take a walk down Witton Lane from the Holte End, you pass a big gate in the corner of Holte and Doug Ellis - that leads straight out onto the pitch - so the road at that point is pretty much at pitch level - the road then runs flat alongside the Doug Ellis Stand until you get to the gates of the North Stand car park - if you then look at the North Stand, the bottom of it, where the doors and entrances are, is up a big ramp or a flight of stairs - it's about ten or fifteen feet about pitch level - they'll need to level that off before they can do anything. The pitch level is actually pretty much the level of the car park - there's going to be a lot earthwork to level everything out before they can start to build.

Demolition schedules might be a bit confusing as they'll also be demolishing the building with the shop in it and they might start that one early.

I've not seen a stand of this sort, one that's suspended under a goalpost style steel frame, demolished before - I wonder how they'll do it - does the frame have to go last? Do you strip the roof off first? I'm not quite sure how they'll go about it.

It was simpler with something like the old Trinity Road Stand because it was just a plain brick building with a supported roof - they just started at one end, but how they approach this one will be fascinating.

Incidentally, where has the £100m figure come from?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

It was tried out in 1982 against Besiktas. ;)

Villa fans try to catch a glimpse of the action.

“The scenes across the way were familiar enough. A win is a win, even if you haven’t seen it.”

I dread to think how many times I watched the BBC official history video as a child! 😆

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John said:

I think we need to have a really good bidding process in place this time. We need to have regard to cost and to the time each bidder gives for completion. The winning bidder needs to appreciate they are not expected to keep coming back for more money or try to extend the agreed completion date for the work, could doing that not lead to time penalties? We need to try to avoid the ever increasing costs that HS2 have suffered from and to try to ensure that we won't face the delays that seem common place with major works at the moment (such as the proposed Athletes Village at Perry Barr on the site of the Birmingham City University's North Campus that was nowhere near ready for the Commonwealth Games). 18 - 24 months seems a long time to not have one side of the stadium in use, as it is.  

I think a big issue for the potential of starting this summer was availability for the right type of contractor as much as cost.

• Like 2

Maybe the club can look at Barca for a way to get some extra money in to fund the renovation 🙄

Barça will sell diamonds made from the Camp Nou grass!

FC Barcelona will shortly launch a line of jewelry based on the use of diamonds with the incentive that it will be made with the grass from the last game that was played at the Camp Nou, against Mallorca , before the stadium closed to proceed to its remodeling. It is a collection of exclusive jewels in which this charred grass will be used , which has a sentimental value since it is the last one that was used in the Camp Nou before undertaking its final reform by the Limak company . 

A limited edition of 57 of these diamonds will be one carat and a total of 1,957 jewels will be made. The carat price is estimated at around 15,000 euros .The business forecast is that about 30 million euros a year can be earned in this concept, which would be shared between the club and the company in a proportion that has not been disclosed. These precious stones with so much culé symbology are expected to be in high demand, especially from investors from the Arab world and China.

Spoiler

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20230709/1002035501/barca-pondra-venta-coleccion-diamantes.html

Edited by sne

On 07/07/2023 at 17:30, OutByEaster? said:

I've not seen a stand of this sort, one that's suspended under a goalpost style steel frame, demolished before - I wonder how they'll do it - does the frame have to go last? Do you strip the roof off first? I'm not quite sure how they'll go about it.

This is how spurs demolished white hart lane so guess it will be the same process… 

IMG_7967.jpeg

IMG_7964.jpeg

IMG_7965.webp

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, thabucks said:

This is how spurs demolished white hart lane so guess it will be the same process… 

IMG_7967.jpeg

IMG_7964.jpeg

IMG_7965.webp

I know it will only be temporary, and it will look great in the end, but it will break my heart to see Villa Park looking in that state!

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I know it will only be temporary, and it will look great in the end, but it will break my heart to see Villa Park looking in that state!

Don’t ever google pics of the demolition of the trinity then 😢

• Sad 1

I see the Aussies are skint and have cancelled their bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

Being as we didn't benefit out of CWG2022, how about we ask them to fund our North Stand rebuild if Brum goes for it again. Ala, Citeh & WHU? 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66229574

Edited by Lochheads twin
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Not sure I’ll be around d to see it but According to AI Villa Park will look like this in a 100 years time …

IMG_9641.webp

Not so sure myself. I think it will depend on whether we're still waiting on Birmingham Council for the Station upgrades.

Through curiosity, does it have AI images of Witton Station in 2123?

Sidenote: I will look forward to seeing Thailikee Walbake if he's that good he's earned a stand named after him!

Edited by Caravella82
  • Haha 2

Â