England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Frustrating. 

I think this England team has a lot of potential. I hope we draw Portugal, I'd like to see them against a team who come to win the game. 

My thoughts too. If we've seen anything this tournament its that the 'smaller' nations when they've got everyone behind the ball are extremely tough to score against no matter the difference in individual quality. Think Roy messed up bringing Rashford over Andy Carroll, who would seem to be perfect weapon against sides who want to sit deep and pack the penalty area, rather than fast strikers who want to play on the shoulder and run into space, when there isn't any and when we already have two players of this ilk.

• Like 1

Am optimist would say we played well in all 3 games and look slick going forward

A pessimist would say we failed to beat 2 very poor teams in Russia and Slovakia and only scraped a last min win against Wales

Yeah we looked decent but so we should. We're the strongest team in the group by far. I think as soon as we play a decent team we are out.I think Portugal would beat us (I can just see Ronaldo scoring)

Henderson had the touch of a rapist tonight.

Wilshire looked unfit (now there is a surprise)

Plus why are our set pieces so shit? Can't any word removed deliver a dangerous ball?

• Like 1

right my thoughts

LOL wilshire after all the praise i given him in the past....but he clearly played different role than what rooney did in the past 2 games and was happy for him to be subbed off...but then.. LOL rooney..just as bad and maybe worse. Such a bad game from rooney and clearly showed his faults and OTT praise he had (him having the ball in previous games != good no matter what, )

If kane deserves to be dropped than so does vardy (thinking as public POV)...midfield has been broken with rooney in squad and with others which has both stopped the supply to a 1 man striker. Still think kane is #1

But then i also think theres a bit of a OTT thinking...we have played pretty much vs 10 men in 3 games in row. It isnt that bad. It wasnt bad vs russia.

Oh and sturridge should not play wide. hes awesome as a CF...but anywhere else is pointless.

Edited by gharperr

Wales have scored 5 goals compared to our 1 (against the other 2) Stop with the excuses about teams sitting back bacause Wales managed it. We're just don't have that cutting edge, infact, we're boring.

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Henderson had the touch of a rapist tonight.

Wilshire looked unfit (now there is a surprise)

Plus why are our set pieces so shit? Can't any word removed deliver a dangerous ball?

ive met a few rapists in my time and they defiently wouldnt like you comparing hendersons touch to them

It's worrying that Roy is still experimenting this far into a tournament. 

The lack of conviction in taking chances, the unwillingness to try and take the defence on and attempt to get past them instead of pot shots, stab shots and Hail Marys from the edge of the area.

Smalling is useless, a liability. As is Henderson & Wilshere.

Roys substitutes & tactics are so hit & miss, inspired at half time against Wales but taking off Lallana instead of Henderson, playing Vardy as a lone striker, playing players out of position or tactics that don't suit the team playing, leaving out Rooney, Walker etc... in an important match.

Why not start with the team that finished against and best Wales? Keep that momentum going instead of breaking them up and starting a team that has to re-gel instantly?

The defence WILL get caught out against stronger more adventurous teams.

The lack of conviction in front of goal is worrying, we won't make it past the next round if things (Roy) do not adapt properly and correctly instead of just throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks.

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

Wales have scored 5 goals compared to our 1 (against the other 2)  Stop with the excuses about teams sitting back

u can think a little bit more indepth about this surely...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

Wales have scored 5 goals compared to our 1 (against the other 2) Stop with the excuses about teams sitting back bacause Wales managed it. We're just don't have that cutting edge, infact, we're boring.

Indeed.

We should have won this group with 9 points noting the overall quality of our opposition (no disrespect to Wales who have done fantastically well)

If we can't put Russia or Slovakia to bed, what chance do we have against say a better team like Portugal? A team that actually goes forward

3 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Who sat back against Wales? Neither of them did. Slovakia were playing very attacking and only not in front due to a great goal line clearance before the Bale freekick and Russia needed the win. The comparison doesn't work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Like watching villa in lamberts last season, all passing with no movement, then create a chance through a long ball and then going back to passing with no movement

Not at all. 

England picked their spots and came up against a towering centre half performance and, again, couldn't find their range in front of goal. 

I don't remember a Lambert side ever having 29 shots, against anyone. Ever.

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Indeed.

We should have won this group with 9 points noting the overall quality of our opposition (no disrespect to Wales who have done fantastically well)

If we can't put Russia or Slovakia to bed, what chance do we have against say a better team like Portugal? A team that actually goes forward

A much better chance.

A dire performance all round - some calamitous defending that could've proven costly, too many tippy tappy passes that lost us possession, Sturridge thinking he was Gods gift to dribbling and Vardy missing, what should've been for him an easy chance and then went missing for the remainder of the game.

Woy made too many changes, certainly, rest one or two but not six at once - we lost all cohesion and impetus from the last match and have paid the price.

The changes and subsequent result will undoubtedly affect the team.

I've never had much faith in Woy, nothing against the bloke but he still (after all the years) doesn't have a preferred (or successful) formation and never knows his best XI.

We're so predictable at the moment and opponents don't mind us having the ball as they know a solid back line (or two) will nullify our attack time and time again.

My prediction - out on penalties next Monday after another stifled performance.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Indeed.

Precisely. Thus leaving some space rather attempting to play through a team with 11 men behind the ball and 8 in the box at all times.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

A much better chance.

I disagree. We'll get torn to pieces as our defence is poor. We might score but we'll concede plenty IMO

We'll see I guess. 

• Like 1