Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Pearson also pulled off a miracle and kept them up

10 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Or he should never have had a team that good anywhere near the bottom 3 to start with.

This is the Pearson argument summed up perfectly right here. 

You either think he did a good job, because he kept that Leicester side up.

Or you think you think he did a bad job because he had that Leicester side battling at the bottom of the league all season.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Or you think you think he did a bad job because he had that Leicester side battling at the bottom of the league all season.

Are they over-achieving though or benefiting that everyone else is so poor? only one way to know and that will be next season

Hey Steve

Fergie, and certainly Saunders, were rough characters BEFORE they were successful.

So even if I agreed your distinction (I.e.you can be a #* but only if you've achieved) was reasonable, which I don't, as you know, you would have to accept that those guys (and many others) were appointed in spite of, or because of, their characters, and THEN got rewards.  Therefore it follows that ......

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Hey Steve

Fergie, and certainly Saunders, were rough characters BEFORE they were successful.

So even if I agreed your distinction (I.e.you can be a #* but only if you've achieved) was reasonable, which I don't, as you know, you would have to accept that those guys (and many others) were appointed in spite of, or because of, their characters, and THEN got rewards.  Therefore it follows that ......

I don't really understand your point here.

Do you have one?

19 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

Isn't the most important thing about Pearson that he got them promoted which is all we should give a shit about at the moment, getting out the championship

Well if that's all that matters we may as well go for Neil Warnock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roadoftrinity said:

Isn't the most important thing about Pearson that he got them promoted which is all we should give a shit about at the moment, getting out the championship

I hear that Paul Lambert got back-to-back promotions from League One to the Premier League, and then kept Norwich up.

He sounds like a better fit than Pearson to me...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I hear that Paul Lambert got back-to-back promotions from League One to the Premier League, and then kept Norwich up.

He sounds like a better fit than Pearson to me...

But has failed as his last two jobs, one been Villa and played some of worse football I'd seen at Villa Park (until this season) so seems a bizarre suggestion unless you were trying unsuccessfully to be amusing 

• Like 1

Just now, roadoftrinity said:

It's an idea isn't it but Warnock is to old and I find him a massive clearing in the woods 

No, it isn't an idea. Which was my point.

He'd be a crap appointment.

But the point is he's got promoted from the Championship before, yet would still be a crap appointment. So just having a promotion on your CV isn't the be all and end all.

Jose Mourinho has never been promoted from the Championship, but I wouldn't be turning him away if he came knocking down at VP

Just now, roadoftrinity said:

But has failed as his last two jobs, one been Villa and played some of worse football I'd seen at Villa Park (until this season) so seems a bizarre suggestion unless you were trying unsuccessfully to be amusing 

Agreed.  Wasn't Nigel Pearson sacked too?  Another failure?

4 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

Again, this is the point bobzy and I are making.

1 hour ago, roadoftrinity said:

This post isn't always true. That's our point.

Pearson gets a lot of credit for rebuilding Leicester OFF the pitch just as much as on it. That for me is something we need badly. Somehow we have let the senior players run the show and it's got into all involved in the 1st team squad. That is a massive reason to give him the chance to sort it out. He has lower league success. He has built teams with little finances. I don't care if he punches Gregg Evans in the face on a weekly basis after the press conferences just as long as he sorts the club out. I still don't think he's nailed on especially if we are bought out. If we are that could open the door to the likes of Moyes and Dyche but I'd still put Pearson in my top 3 for now. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Agreed.  Wasn't Nigel Pearson sacked too?  Another failure?

He wasn't sacked because he failed. He succeeded in keeping them up, which has enabled them to go on and being massively successful this season. 

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He wasn't sacked because he failed. He succeeded in keeping them up, which has enabled them to go on and being massively successful this season. 

Are people deliberately missing bobzy's point? :D

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, jon_c said:

Guessing Chelsea have a shit squad....

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I must be. It's not deliberate though. 

I took his point to be that getting sacked didn't automatically make a manager a failure. He was being sarcastic.