Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Rangers beat Celtic last month, have a really good manager and signing players like Joey Barton who are too good for that league

It's almost like having the chance at a trophy is a good thing or something?!?£!£?

Just did abit of research as have no idea who RDM would work with as in his background staff and I found this

Roberto Di Matteo unveiled as Schalke boss with former Chelsea manager back in the dugout two years after Blues dismissal

Roberto di Matteo names Attilio Lombardo as assistant at Schalke

Di Matteo learned Dutch mentality from ex-Blues boss Ruud Gullit

By DAN RIPLEY FOR MAILONLINE 

PUBLISHED: 14:20, 8 October 2014 | UPDATED: 17:54, 8 October 2014

Roberto Di Matteo has been unveiled as the manager of Schalke after appearing at a Veltins Arena press conference.

The Bundesliga strugglers named the former Chelsea boss as their new manager on Tuesday having sacked Jens Keller following a torrid start to the season.

The Italian, who won the Champions League as boss with the Blues in 2012, has been without a club since being sacked by the Premier League club in November of the same year. 

Di Matteo stands before a poster with a slogan that translates as '1000 friends, countless mates'

Roberto Di Matteo: Schalke have such fantastic support base

Having won the Champions League with Chelsea, Di Matteo will hope to lift more cups with Schalke

Roberto Di Matteo claps his hands at the Veltins Arena as he prepares to take charge of Schalke 

Speaking on his appointment, Di Matteo confirmed that former Crystal Palace player and Italy team-mate Attilio Lombardo will be among his assistants as he targets a Champions League finish for his new side.

Lombardo is joined by goalkeeper coach Massimo Battara, with the duo formerly part of Roberto Mancini's back room staff at Manchester City.

'Attilio Lombardo is new assistant coach alongside Sven Pretty,' Di Matteo said. 'He brings a wealth of international experience as a player and as a coach. 

'For the goalkeeper training Massimo Battara will be responsible. He also has a lot of experience in different leagues, as Lombardo was active in Italy and England.

'Both speak no German, but it will learn very quickly. Until then, the communication in English will work, because I do not see any problems.

Attilio Lombardo (right) and Massimo Battara left Man City following the sacking of Roberto Mancini last year

'We want to qualify again for the Champions League. This objective of the association is released before the season, and that's my claim.'

Di Matteo also admitted he was looking forward to the challenge of turning around the German club, while pointing to former Chelsea boss Ruud Gullit as one of his managerial influences.

'At Chelsea I worked with Ruud Gullit. From him I learned the Dutch mentality. I think you take from each coach, under which you have played something with.

'I have watched intensely the performances of Schalke. We have a good team, a team with a lot of potential going forward. But defensively it is a problem, which is certainly also due to some players that were injured or still are. We need time and patience to improve. In football there are no miracles.

Italian Roberto Di Matteo has his first job since leaving Chelsea in November 2012

Di Matteo was being paid £130,000-a-week in compensation until June 2014 by Chelsea

'Which system I choose is always dependent on the players that are available. I want to let my team act flexibly. Recently I have set up both in the 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. The defence, and by that I mean not just the back four must be stable.

'It is important that the balance between defensive and offensive is right. Individually, each player must make a contribution so that the team is successful. The team as a whole one. My goal is to get from each player the maximum.

'I am a trainer who communicates a lot with his players. Since I was for many years a professional, I know how players tick, what motivates them, how to deal with them. Each individual has a different mentality.

I love working with young players. Especially, of course, when they come from the club's youth system. If a player is talented, I am the first giving him a chance to prove themselves.

Di Matteo refused to comment on the Champions League group stage meeting with former club Chelsea later in the year, saying he preferred to take each match game-by-game.

Di Matteo's Chelsea lost 3-0 at Juventus in November 2012, and the following day he was sacked

Di Matteo, who was replaced at Stamford Bridge by Rafa Benitez, was still being paid £130,000-a-week by the Blues until June 2014, but has signed a three-year deal with the Royal Blues in Germany.

The 44-year-old's new side face Chelsea in the Champions League group stage in Gelsenkirchen on November 25. 

The Bundesliga club announced Keller's dismissal on Twitter on Tuesday after a disappointing start to the season that has seen Schalke pick up only eight points in seven league games.

The team lost 2-1 to Hoffenheim on Saturday and has also been knocked out of the German Cup by third-division Dynamo Dresden.

Keller was appointed Schalke's coach in December 2012 but faced constant speculation over his position.

Di Matteo to Villa?

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

because that was my point :rolleyes:

What was your point?

You said that Joey Barton is "too good for that league" and that "Villa pay more money than Celtic" - so I can only assume that, in general, you don't think players/managers should go to the Scottish Premiership.

Unless it's OK if it's Rangers?  In which case - lol.

I wouldn't mind RDM as manager. He seems a nice man and doesn't talk shite (like Martinez) and isn't a clearing in the woods (like Bruce or Pearson). Also he kind of looks a bit chinese and I'm all over everything chinese at the moment.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Whereas here's Aston Villa's last 10 years:

15/16: Didn't qualify

14/15: Didn't qualify

13/14: Didn't qualify

12/13: Didn't qualify

11/12: Didn't qualify

10/11: Didn't qualify

09/10: Didn't qualify

08/09: Didn't qualify

07/08: Didn't qualify

06/07: Didn't qualify

Reading that, I can't help but think of this-

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What was your point?

You said that Joey Barton is "too good for that league" and that "Villa pay more money than Celtic" - so I can only assume that, in general, you don't think players/managers should go to the Scottish Premiership.

Unless it's OK if it's Rangers?  In which case - lol.

it was why would Celtic hire Lambert when biggest league challenge in years which you had seemed to skip

I would have thought that Pearson's odds may have lengthened given his controversy at Leicester with his son.  I know it is unfair to tarnish him with the actions of his son, but if you are looking to make Villa the biggest club in China it will surely have an impact on his suitability?

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

it was why would Celtic hire Lambert when biggest league challenge in years which you had seemed to skip

Ah right.

I think whoever Celtic hire, they'll do well.

17 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Di Matteo hardly hangs around long enough to fall out or make demands. Only 2 complete seasons in all his managerial career? If RDM didn't win the CL would he even get linked with jobs? My biggest concern is he hasn't a record of building teams. I've no idea what his style is or how he gets players performing but we need a manager that can whip this lot into shape. 

I was meant that might be a factor behind his appointment and why they might not going for someone like Moyes.

From my perspective, he wouldn't be my first choice but I can't say I get a lot of the scepticism. I prefer him to a lot of the other suggested/linked candidates. Then again, that applies to Pulis also, so I guess it's not saying much! 

Not that it was a prerequisite for me but Di Matteo has a good lower-league record and not only did he achieve promotion from the Championship, he did it with a club just relegated from the Premier League. Which is relevant to our situation. The idea that we need a manager to come in and sort out the dressing room also implies we'll have the same team next season. 

Just now, Isa said:

I was meant that might be a factor behind his appointment and why they might not going for someone like Moyes.

From my perspective, he wouldn't be my first choice but I can't say I get a lot of the scepticism. I prefer him to a lot of the other suggested/linked candidates. Then again, that applies to Pulis also, so I guess it's not saying much! 

Not that it was a prerequisite for me but Di Matteo has a good lower-league record and not only did he achieve promotion from the Championship, he did it with a club just relegated from the Premier League. Which is relevant to our situation. The idea that we need a manager to come in and sort out the dressing room also implies we'll have the same team next season. 

I just think it needs a change if attitude at BMH that may be achieved simply by getting rid of the bad eggs but if it isn't it comes from the manager. Ultimately if we sort the dressing room and recruit right we will be in with a chance who ever is manager especially if we can get a buzz going at the grounds. Exciting times ahead either way!! 

32 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'm guessing they'll be no announcement until Dr Tony has passed the full fit and proper test and cleared by the league to own the club.

China bought up a third stake in British nuclear power stations, I can't imagine them owning a football club would be a no-go after that.

4 minutes ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

Villa manager to be appointed within 2 weeks according to Dr X

Doesn't sound like it will be RDM either from the way he spoke ?