Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I also don't think he's that impressive a manager either. He's average, to worse than others on the lists of options put forward, but also comes loaded with nonsensical baggage, which is my problem. There are other candidates out there capable enough who don't bring all that bizarre rubbish with them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Well, Moyes, Bruce, Dyche et al aren't complete embarrassments in the press room or aggressive morons on the touchline / training ground either. That's not a minor flaw, for me anyway. 

Why are you so concerned about those incidents? when really if you isolate them and look at them, there isn't that much to them.

The ostrich thing was him defending his players, getting sick of the press trying to get at them. So he had a pop back.

- Defends his squad, creates a sense of togetherness.

The palace neck thing.

- It was nothing more than banter really. He wasn't actually strangling him was he.

Swearing at a fan.

- It's well documented the fan was goading him constantly. What was said? Was it about his family? He's only human

There isn't a lot really to get all upset over, and to not want him as manager.

He can build a squad with an eye for a player, but who have a good work ethic. He gets teams promoted. He has escaped a relegation battle.

Got to be in the top 2 candidates for me.

• Like 1

I don't think Pearson is a bad manager, I just don't think he has the mentality to manage Aston Villa. This will be a massive appointment, a massive job and massive scrutiny. He regularily lost his shit managing Leicester, I cannot imagine what would happen should we get off to a bad start.

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

I also don't think he's that impressive a manager either. He's average, to worse than others on the lists of options put forward, but also comes loaded with nonsensical baggage, which is my problem. There are other candidates out there capable enough who don't bring all that bizarre rubbish with them. 

I don't think Moyes is interested - Dyche would be difficult to get. Bruce I think has a solid track record of promotions - so would shade it for me over Pearson if I am honest. But equally I don't think Bruce would be a miracle worker - where NP is a disaster. I don't think there is a lot in it TBH.

What was the point of hiring all these 'football people' to the board when they are just going for the lazy, obvious choice? Our managerial search basically required all the thought process of a SkySports pundit, nothing more.

• Like 3

Just now, Isa said:

What was the point of hiring all these 'football people' to the board when they are just going for the lazy, obvious choice? Our managerial search basically required all the thought process of a SkySports pundit, nothing more.

Out of interest - who would be your choices to get us out of the champ?

I don't think there's a chance in hell that we would offer the job to Pearson before Moyes. 

If we don't get Moyes it's because he isn't interested. That much is certain in my head.

Some of the reaction in this thread to Pearson is mad. He's a bloke who built the foundations in the squad that are now about to win the Premier League. He deserves a go at it for that alone. 

Let's not forget, whilst Leicester were bottom of the league for most of last season, it's not like they played terrible football, they were pretty gripping to watch. I'd be happy to have some of that down at Villa Park considering what we've been watching the past 6 years. 

• Like 1

If we appoint Pearson then so be it. I'll support him like I supported McLeish. But I do have concerns.

Firstly, how will he cope without the staff that helped him get his one promotion to the premier league? Secondly, I don't like his character and think he could add unwanted attention and pressure in our biggest season in decades. Lastly, if he gets us promoted then I wonder how we'll do with him in charge in the Premier League. He struggled with a team that is now winning the league, and if people think that we'll replace him before a possible Premier League season starts, then I think they're being very optimistic of this new board.

Moyes is still my favourite, just because he is the most proven manager available. People might ask whether he's even interested, but I genuinely think he would have come out to the press if he wasn't. People also have concerns over him not managing in the Championship for over a decade. Those concerns are warranted, but Big Sam also hadn't managed in the championship for over a decade when he brought West Ham straight back up.

My biggest fear for next season, is that if we appoint Pearson or someone else and fail to get promotion, while Newcastle get Moyes, achieving automatic promotion whilst everyone questions why we didn't appoint him when we had the chance!

• Like 3

It's going to take someone unfashionable I think to get us back to where we need to be. 

Pearson however does not strike me as someone who will put up with being lied to for very long and lies seem to underpin Randy's regime. Maybe Hollis will tell the truth but I can't imagine the truth is going to be particularity inspiring for any manager.

If he takes it I just don't see this relationship working.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

If we appoint Pearson then so be it. I'll support him like I supported McLeish. But I do have concerns.

Firstly, how will he cope without the staff that helped him get his one promotion to the premier league? Secondly, I don't like his character and think he could add unwanted attention and pressure in our biggest season in decades. Lastly, if he gets us promoted then I wonder how we'll do with him in charge in the Premier League. He struggled with a team that is now winning the league, and if people think that we'll replace him before a possible Premier League season starts, then I think they're being very optimistic of this new board.

Moyes is still my favourite, just because he is the most proven manager available. People might ask whether he's even interested, but I genuinely think he would have come out to the press if he wasn't. People also have concerns over him not managing in the Championship for over a decade. Those concerns are warranted, but Big Sam also hadn't managed in the championship for over a decade when he brought West Ham straight back up.

My biggest fear for next season, is that if we appoint Pearson or someone else and fail to get promotion, while Newcastle get Moyes, achieving automatic promotion whilst everyone questions why we didn't appoint him when we had the chance!

I'd like to think you use him to get us out of the Championship, if indeed he even can on his own, and then bin him.

18 minutes ago, Isa said:

Could have just given them a phone call instead of a salary.

27 minutes ago, Isa said:

Who would you appoint given the opportunity?

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Moyes is still my favourite, just because he is the most proven manager available. People might ask whether he's even interested, but I genuinely think he would have come out to the press if he wasn't.

Why do you think that? He must have had loads of clubs ask if he's interested and just quietly rejected the idea? 

8 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Who would you appoint given the opportunity?

Are you asking us to choose from the entire World of football managers?

That list would be ridiculously long before "Nigel Pearson" gets a mention.

I don't understand why many people are so keen on him.  He's an average manager who does stupid things to 'distract' people away from players' performances.  Aside from Leicester, he's done nothing of note.  Granted, that's his most recent job - and should rightly be considered - but the outstanding candidate?  Give me a break.  Sherwood did relatively well at Spurs in his most recent job before us - look how that turned out.

I should imagine every Villa fan would be behind Pearson should he be appointed - he won't be as divisive as McLeish - but it would be a thoroughly underwhelming appointment.  I just hope, if it happens, that it all works out.

• Like 2