Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Not likely

His long-time assistants Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare are close to signing new deals at Leicester so were going to end up with a guy without his backroom staff yet again

I'm sure we have been down this road before under Sherwood and Garde.and it worked so well...

This club will never learn 

Based on this logic, instead of straightforwardly hiring managers, we should start hiring their assistants instead to get straight to the root of the success hey?

(Said this because I keep seeing this argument), whilst I acknowledge backroom staff obviously pay a part, I also realise that this is just another unfounded argument when people just don't like a manager for one reason or another.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Nigel Pearson is the frontrunner to take over as Aston Villa manager and has lined up Chris Powell to be his assistant when he makes a return to the dugout. Villa are still weighing up their options and considering the merits of other names on their shortlist but Pearson is the standout candidate and it is understood that he already has the support of several members of the club’s board.

Powell has a good relationship with Pearson, having played for him during the manager’s first spell in charge at Leicester and also coached at the club during that period. The former Huddersfield Town and Charlton Athletic manager is well respected in the game, knows the Championship and it is believed that he would be receptive to the idea of working with Pearson again.

With Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare now working under Claudio Ranieri at Leicester and expected to sign new contracts with the Premier League leaders before the end of the month, there is no prospect of Pearson being reunited with his former backroom staff at Villa or anywhere else next season. With that in mind, Pearson has been forced to explore other avenues and Powell has emerged as a potential No2.

Villa, for the moment, are preaching caution about their search for a successor to Rémi Garde. The decision rests in the hands of Villa’s new football board, comprising of David Bernstein, Sir Mervyn King, Brian Little and Adrian Bevington. Steve Hollis, the chairman, will submit their recommendation to Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, to rubber-stamp the appointment.

David Moyes, Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce are also in the frame but Pearson has the strongest credentials for the post. The 52-year-old, who has been out of work since leaving the King Power Stadium in controversial circumstances last June, proved at Leicester that he is capable of reviving a struggling club and winning promotion to the Premier League. There is also a school of thought that Pearson’s strong personality could be just what Villa need at this time.

Once Villa’s inevitable relegation to the Championship has been confirmed it is likely that an appointment will be made fairly swiftly, although being in the dugout on the day that Villa officially go down is unlikely to appeal to Pearson or anyone else. Villa’s fate could be sealed on Saturday before they play Manchester United, if 17th-placed Norwich pick up a point at home against Sunderland in the early kick-off.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/13/nigel-pearson-aston-villa-manager-favourite-chris-powell

tumblr_nmz53gbHeH1tv1zovo1_400.gif

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Based on this logic, instead of straightforwardly hiring managers, we should start hiring their assistants instead to get straight to the root of the success hey?

(Said this because I keep seeing this argument), whilst I acknowledge backroom staff obviously pay a part, I also realise that this is just another unfounded argument when people just don't like a manager for one reason or another.

Me not liking Pearson has nothing to do with the majority of Leicester fans claiming that it was his backroom staff and scouting team and not him who was behind their success which has continued and flourished since he left the club.

The best we can hope for is they are wrong and he doesn't get found out

The only way i will class Pearson to be a successful manager at this club is if he brings us up first time of asking if we are looking at the long game i feel there are other candidates up for that task with far greater potential as managers such as Rowett or Grayson

I look forward to seeing us play with PASHUN next season

Edited by AshVilla

3 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Mellberg and Laursen wouldn't even acknowledge the presence of our current muppets.

I imagine this would be happening to a fair few of the muppets 

F%C3%B6r+fyra+%C3%A5r+sen.

Overlooking Moyes for Pearson would be a big, big mistake. 

I'm not completely convinced about Moyes but he offers a lot more potential for long term success than Pearson and I don't think he'd be any less likely to get us promoted.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 2

Absolutely idiotic if we appoint this guy. Aston Villa preparing to become yet another "lets be English" big club that stays below the Premier League for years and years. I have no faith in our club whatsoever, Randy Lerner is satan. What a load of bollocks.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Overlooking Moyes for Pearson would be a big, big mistake. 

I'm not completely convinced about Moyes but he offers a lot more potential for long term success than Pearson and I don't think he'd be any less likely to get us promoted.

How do you know we have overlooked him? suppose he does not want us?

Absolutely idiotic if we appoint this guy. Aston Villa preparing to become yet another "lets be English" big club that stays below the Premier League for years and years. I have no faith in our club whatsoever, Randy Lerner is satan. What a load of bollocks

Who do you want, and what were you expecting based on where we are at? (Genuine question)

• Like 1

I might have warmed to the idea of Pearson but Chris Powell !! No , just No , I'd be more open to having Sherwood come back as his assistant manager than Powell

we are going to get this appointment horribly wrong , aren't we ??

• Like 1

I dont think Moyes is interested and for me he just has hit his peak and only going downhill which can happen to managers easily, same with Rafa now and MON when he went Sunderland

crucial appointment this is though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Moyes is interested and for me he just has hit his peak and only going downhill which can happen to managers easily, same with Rafa now and MON when he went Sunderland

crucial appointment this is though

I think we would know about it if that was the case.

• Like 1

Yep, despite it all, the Villa job, even if in a lower division, is still considered a major job in European football. That's based on the fumes of a respected legacy, but still, Aston Villa is known the world over. The potential for something really incredible must always be in the minds of perspective Villa managers. When Villa finally return to the top, it will be a total spectacle and something unique and special in that way only Villa is. Moyes would be a fool not to give it serious consideration. MON tried to be the Villa guru, but MON was coming from a place of personal vanity, no real allegiance to the club. I hope the next manager respects the legacy of the club, and puts the long term development of the club ahead of personal achievements.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brommy said:

We need a manager capable of instilling desire and effort amongst the players and a manager with experience of promoting a team from the Championship. Pearson does tick both boxes.

There's been many times that I've sought medical attention for various reasons. But, despite my need for a doctor, I would never have considered Harold Shipman. 

• Like 2