Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

But Black and Bruce have teamed up before. So in a sense half the duo is already in place, which negates the urgency. I reckon it will be Bruce. 

Oh god. I think that seals it then. Promtotion experience check, same situation as current club only last summer check, made profit in this situation last summer on player sales check, assistant already in place check. Signed sealed delivered. Bruce.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

im not even sure what club Grayson is even managing these days until I checked google, his win record is nothing special at all

Looking at win record is incredibly deceiving - especially when you consider the teams Grayson has managed.

He's doing very well at Preston.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Looking at win record is incredibly deceiving - especially when you consider the teams Grayson has managed.

I'm not disparaging Warburton, but for example his win percentage is in the eighties. That doesn't make him the best manager, just means he's in an easier job. 

Just now, jon_c said:

I'm not disparaging Warburton, but for example his win percentage is in the eighties. That doesn't make him the best manager, just means he's in an easier job. 

Exactly.

Louis van Gaal is basically being hounded out of Old Trafford for being a terrible manager this season.  Win ratio - 50%.  Our most successful manager of recent times, MON, had a win ratio of 42%.

the Black link with Bruce is interesting but by all accounts Remi hand picked Black so I don't think the club were thinking that far forward and forced Black on Remi ?

(arguably they tried to force Steve Round on Remi , which would have come with a Moyes link )

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He has 4 promotions though which either means he is scraping them or doesnt have the tools to keep teams up. His job at Leeds is probably a good indicator of his level as he will expect similar standards here

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has 4 promotions though which either means he is scraping them or doesnt have the tools to keep teams up. His job at Leeds is probably a good indicator of his level as he will expect similar standards here

From Wikipedia:

At Blackpool, he got them promoted from League One (including a record-breaking winning streak apparently) then took them to their highest league position in about 40 years before joining Leeds...

...he took them to the playoffs first season (beat Man Utd in the cup too), then got them promoted to the Championship.  They finished 7th in their first season back, before he got sacked for having them outside play offs (they finished 14th)...

...joined Huddersfield, got them promoted via the playoffs in the same season.  Pretty much his only real blip was here - they struggled on a 12-game winless streak and Grayson was sacked...

...joined Preston, kept them up then took them to the playoffs first season finishing 5th (lost to Rotherham) and again second season finishing 3rd (won).  Now has Preston 10th in the Championship.

Not sure how any of this indicates he doesn't have the tools to keep teams up (has he ever been relegated?) and the only real downturn was his Championship-spell at Huddersfield.  It's a pretty sweet managerial CV for lower levels to be honest. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had a bit of promise at Leeds but evidently hasn't kicked on. That he has to keep dropping down to League One says a lot and his career path suggests his level is indeed upper League One to lower-mid Championship. If this time next year we've just achieved a double-relegation then maybe he can be mentioned as a serious candidate.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the Black link with Bruce is interesting but by all accounts Remi hand picked Black so I don't think the club were thinking that far forward and forced Black on Remi ?

(arguably they tried to force Steve Round on Remi , which would have come with a Moyes link )

I think Remi had given up by the time Black arrived.  - I t would answer a lot of questions in particular why Benstein said we 'had to get a move on'  - then changed his mind a couple of days later saying 'Villa won't be rushed' 

2 hours ago, Isa said:

No way is Grayson's name once cropping up in this thread if not for his previous link with the club as a player. He's done absolutely nothing to warrant being mentioned in the same breath as the Villa job. 

multiple promotion at lower league clubs. Who you expecting? Mourinho? Lots of people saying Moyes... Yes he would be a good manager.. but its been a long time since hes scrapped it in the lower leagues. What has Moyes done recently? He hasnt won any cups or achieved anything great... Its the same as Newcastle hiring FSW.... great on paper.. but how much experience has he got fighting relegation?

We need a grafter.. someone who has done it recently. Even if its only for a season.. get us promoted.. stable and then we can bring in a better manager. Like West Ham did. 

32 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Managers like Gary Johnson should be mentioned if Grayson is a target. If we drop to league one - he is the man. 

I had to Google that one, appears he is the governor of New Mexico.

• Like 3

it's an old article but it doesn't paint Bruce in a  good light

Shortly after taking charge at Sunderland Steve Bruce was asked if he had considered experimenting with a Christmas Tree formation. "I'm not really into tactics," he replied. At the time that response was easy to interpret as a deliberately flippant or, perhaps, a self-deprecating means of avoiding answering the question. As the seasons passed, though, the suspicion grew that the former Manchester United captain had simply been honest.

Arguably one of the principal reasons Bruce is no longer in charge at the Stadium of Light concerns his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game, Bruce invariably failed to come up with a countermeasure

Unashamedly old school, Bruce believed that motivation was the key to management but the influx of overseas coaches has raised the Premier League's technical bar and despite

Unlike many modern managers he did not coach the team himself, delegating that job to his assistant, Eric Black.