AVFC accounts 2014/2015

Jareth

38 minutes ago, jamdog said:
Former #mcfc Chairman David Bernstein and former Villa player & manager Brian Little are to be appointed onto the board at #avfc

Excellent if true. Someone with really good credentials and record as a football club, football wise, administrator and someone who unequivocally will have the best interests of the Club at heart. It doesn't ease the state of the club, but they will massively improve the knowledge in the areas where it's been sorely lacking for 9 years.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Excellent if true. Someone with really good credentials and record as a football club, football wise, administrator and someone who unequivocally will have the best interests of the Club at heart. It doesn't ease the state of the club, but they will massively improve the knowledge in the areas where it's been sorely lacking for 9 years.

Exactly my sentemonies! If a club is as good as it's employees* and we can start bringing in better employees, well then that's surely a move in the right direction.  For as long as Lerner has been here, sometimes in hindsight, we as fans have complained that there haven't been enough football people in influential positions off the pitch.  Back in the day we wanted Graham Taylor on the board.  I think Little will fulfil that role now.  He's Villa through and through.  They both know football and both have been successful in previous roles.  Fingers crossed.  Although obviously things are going to get worse before they get better.

Extra kudos to Little coming on-board at a difficult time when being associated with relegation could damage a reputation.  He's coming on board in our hour of greatest need.

* owner notwithstanding

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Tin hat time on...

Get little and Bernstein in, let Hollis use his local business connections to prop us up corporately while we are down, put Fox in the role he's actually got on his cv

Then let them sort the rest of the club structure out 

It's inevitable that someone will fall on their sword, the FD has already gone, Reilly and almstadt too?

There's still something lingering in my mind that Fox could be useful if we structured ourselves properly 

No tin hat required there.  That's bordering on sensible :)  Be careful with that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's inevitable that someone will fall on their sword, the FD has already gone, Reilly and almstadt too? There's still something lingering in my mind that Fox could be useful if we structured ourselves properly 

Yes. Round pegs in round holes. 

Realistically w.r.t. Fox, he would probably see that as a demotion and be unwilling to accommodate, so in reality we would probably have to look for a new commercial officer with him leaving his post.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Realistically w.r.t. Fox, he would probably see that as a demotion and be unwilling to accommodate, so in reality we would probably have to look for a new commercial officer with him leaving his post.

He's on £1.25m he will do what ever we say!!! Really though he can still be CEO but he now has the people in place so he can do what he's good at growing the club. Little can be the Football link Bernstein showing them the political side if football ie getting work permits through and Hollis over seeing everything. I'd like Fox to stay as I think he'd be good long term but if he goes I'm far more confident we will get the right people in after these latest appointments!! 

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Ironically, in this case that values us at around £67m which, IIRC, is what lerner paid for us in the first place.

Even more ironically, it also means he spent about £70m to buy the club and last year he spent another £70m in order to make the club worth about £70m.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

He's on £1.25m he will do what ever we say!!! Really though he can still be CEO but he now has the people in place so he can do what he's good at growing the club. Little can be the Football link Bernstein showing them the political side if football ie getting work permits through and Hollis over seeing everything. I'd like Fox to stay as I think he'd be good long term but if he goes I'm far more confident we will get the right people in after these latest appointments!! 

With all the bad that has been attributed to Fox, the more pertinent question might be 'would the fans forgive him'.  He has made the key decisions that have resulted in our first relegation in more than a generation.  He will forever be that man.  He might be the one name the fans demand in the cull.  It might (I stress might) do more harm than good to the perception of the 'overhaul' if he is kept around the place.

I think Fox appointed someone else to be commercial manager, so I suspect that Fox will go. Even if either were moved, it could be seen as grounds for a constructive dismissal case?

Fox was a department director at Arsenal and a successful one. He wanted a shot at running an entire football club and he got it with us. He has failed pretty spectacularly. The only way he could redeem himself is to stay on as CEO, take a large pay cut and get us back up within 2 seasons. I think that is unlikely. What is never going to happen is him stepping down to become commercial officer, taking a huge pay cut and answering to someone else after he's was the boss before. It doesn't happen in any industry.

• Like 1

Fox IMO is a goner. With the abuse he was getting in the last home game, the news on his salary will further frustrate many fans, the relegation and the poor financial results surely he has to be in for the chop.

However, this is Villa we're talking about!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Even more ironically, it also means he spent about £70m to buy the club and last year he spent another £70m in order to make the club worth about £70m.

It takes someone with an exceptional level of being a **** up to achieve something like that. 

• Like 1

Just looked at Evertons last set of accounts. Their turnover is about £5m more than ours (no doubt from much higher league positions) and their wage bill is about £2m higher than us yet they have made a loss of just.£4M.  I don't understand where all the money goes! . They have a number of high profile players they must be paying loads to to keep them sweet,  the fact that our wages are broadly similar shows how badly we are overpaying. Also imagine what our income would be over theirs if we had similar league finishes with our higher commercial revenue streams.  The years of relegation battles have seriously damaged us financially.  The answer was to speculate to get out of the cycle, not cut more we created our own perfect storm 

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just looked at Evertons last set of accounts. Their turnover is about £5m more than ours (no doubt from much higher league positions) and their wage bill is about £2m higher than us yet they have made a loss of just.£4M.  I don't understand where all the money goes! . They have a number of high profile players they must be paying loads to to keep them sweet,  the fact that our wages are broadly similar shows how badly we are overpaying. Also imagine what our income would be over theirs if we had similar league finishes with our higher commercial revenue streams.  The years of relegation battles have seriously damaged us financially.  The answer was to speculate to get out of the cycle, not cut more we created our own perfect storm 

For some reason we do employ twice as many full time staff as Everton and over 1000 part time staff compared to Everton's 450.

What the **** they all do is anyones guess??

plus we keep hiring and firing staff like no-ones business. I would also say that Everton's players hold their value a whole lot better than our ours as we keep buying an endless stream of crap players

Edited by KHV
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2016 at 17:21, villa4europe said:

Tin hat time on...

Get little and Bernstein in, let Hollis use his local business connections to prop us up corporately while we are down, put Fox in the role he's actually got on his cv

Then let them sort the rest of the club structure out 

It's inevitable that someone will fall on their sword, the FD has already gone, Reilly and almstadt too?

There's still something lingering in my mind that Fox could be useful if we structured ourselves properly 

Fox isn't useful enough to earn £1.25m per year. 

That £20k+ per week salary could be our next best players wages! 

thats the problem when you shift people about, they'll still be on the wages that they were on for their previous role but do the club sack him because he's paid to much for that role and no doubt end up paying him severance anyway? thats doesnt make sense

Interesting read, especially re: amortization, wages, commercial rev & the debt situation

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/aston-villa-this-house-is-circus.html

Obligatory quote:

The latest figures are simply awful: the largest loss in the Premier League, a decline in revenue, a wage bill that’s out of control, falling attendances, smallest cash balance in top flight, the list goes on and on.

Ironically, given that the club has effectively been supported by Lerner financially over the last few years, it feels like it really needs a change in ownership. Fox got it right when he said that “Villa is a proud and storied club which deserves to be among the elite in Europe”, but it is likely to have to start again in the Championship.

21 minutes ago, mwj said:

Interesting read, especially re: amortization, wages, commercial rev & the debt situation

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/aston-villa-this-house-is-circus.html

Obligatory quote:

Terrifying.

The only good thing coming out of that is our lack of debt. That should hopefully prevent a financial meltdown.

I have been trying to understand our accounts v similar clubs as in isolation it is very difficult to fathom why our profitability is so poor when others make money, do better with less etc. According to 2014/15 accounts for us v West Ham same period, a simple illustration of some huge differences in the way the respective clubs are run:

AVFC staff numbers FT 535 PT 1084, Total: 1619

WHU staff numbers FT 257 PT 334, Total: 591

All numbers include players...

Top Director £1.2m v £646K  

Quite staggering that we have more than double the number of full time staff and three times as many Part Timers. There may be some valid reasons for part of difference but the variation is huge.

Yet WHU attendances are on a par and they had £5 m higher turnover than us. They are currently more stable/successful than us. 

Doesn't make sense

Â