The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

what polls ? the latest poll on whatUkthinks  shows 47% to leave v 46 remain v 6% DK

ok that's 5% down on the actual result but July data was 51% remain to 44% leave ..so if anything it shows that maybe people don't know what they want and also that momentum is swinging back towards leave ?

Man, how depressing.

17 minutes ago, colhint said:

I'm fed up with being called or suggested I'm a racist most times I debated. So I rarely post anymore.

Is immigration your biggest concern / the reason for voted to leave?  Only guessing from the "racist" part, but I imagine this is why the majority of leave voters voted leave.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Man, how depressing.

I dunno

if the poll is all about immigration and taking back control then yes I'd agree

If it's all about leaving an organisation that does some good but also does some bad and on reflection the bad outweighs the good , then i find that a good thing ...

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Is immigration your biggest concern / the reason for voted to leave?  Only guessing from the "racist" part, but I imagine this is why the majority of leave voters voted leave.

I took it to be more that irrespective of  why someone voted the way they did , it's the automatic branding of being a racist that was the issue ..though tbh i thought that was more Facebook /Twitter than VT

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I dunno

if the poll is all about immigration and taking back control then yes I'd agree

If it's all about leaving an organisation that does some good but also does some bad and on reflection the bad outweighs the good , then i find that a good thing ...

I don't believe this to be the case and, in finding out, certainly isn't worth the instability of our economy. 

I still don't really know what all the bad things are that the EU does, though, so please enlighten!

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No not at all, never has been. I think the EU is undemocratic, They appoint people to senior positions, the budget has never really been signed off. The southern countries are well and truly buggered. Junkers is a man with a record, who wouldn't get a job elsewhere. They try to fine Google but he was welcoming all to his tax haven. My only ever concern with immigration was the lack of infrastructure. 

I based it on this premise. Birmingham has about 45 hospitals of varying size, and over 400 schools. 

It also has a population of about 1m.

The population has risen about 8m in nearly 20 years.  So a basic calculation could be Brum has 1m and 42 hospitals, and the population has risen by 8 times this factor, so have we built another 300 plus hospitals and nearly 2000 more schools to cope with demand. Even   a 20% increase just to show they are trying. Not a chance.

• Like 1

I would have only one suggestion for the House of Lords. That is to apply the rules of chivalry. Any time we go to war, they supply their own men to fight and fund it. See how many want to become Lords then. Neil Kinnock  and Prescott. Right we're back in Afghanistan, we'd like 30 privates and a tank of each of you please.

34 minutes ago, colhint said:

The population has risen about 8m in nearly 20 years.  So a basic calculation could be Brum has 1m and 42 hospitals, and the population has risen by 8 times this factor, so have we built another 300 plus hospitals and nearly 2000 more schools to cope with demand. Even   a 20% increase just to show they are trying. Not a chance.

So I'll vote Brexit and leave exit negotiations to the the most incompetent and greedy UK administration in memory.

The administration that poisoned the European trade deal with the US, attempting to open up public services to private interests controlled by friends, spouses and corporations. Weakening the powers of democratically elected governments and introducing secret courts that allow private companies from the US to sue the aforementioned democratically governments if they think they're not making enough money, due to boring reasons like safety and good practice regulations.

We need the US model of healthcare over here, obviously. It's so good.

1 hour ago, colhint said:

No not at all, never has been. I think the EU is undemocratic, They appoint people to senior positions, the budget has never really been signed off. The southern countries are well and truly buggered. Junkers is a man with a record, who wouldn't get a job elsewhere. They try to fine Google but he was welcoming all to his tax haven.

And what effect has this had on you?  I'm curious.

Some of these reasons were thrown around quite a bit during the campaign, but I never truly understood, for example, what impact an "undemocratic EU" has had on my life which would warrant me wanting to vote to leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Or theyve realised how absolutely stupid their vote was and are keeping quiet.

Polls would indicate a significant shift in public opinion against Brexit

Or it's just the same the same few remainers continually crying about it because they didn't get their way, Much like Labour still think that they "won" the election. Whatever anyone says is just shouted down by the same people time and time again, Anything not in line with the Momentum muppets is forbidden.

Edited by LakotaDakota

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Or it's just the same the same few remainers continually crying about it because they didn't get their way, Much like Labour still think that they "won" the election....

No crying about it here. I'm just enjoying a topic I like to keep up with. And enjoying pointing out how wrong it is.

I'm currently looking forward to the schadenfreude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Part of me wants the country to go completely "hard Brexit" as that's what the 19m people (seriously, how is it anywhere near that amount?!) voted for - even though it would be terrible

It has to happen to make the problem go away. 

The Government can either roll things back, leading to cockroaches like Farage and Gove saying that it only didn't work because we weren't strong / brave / clever enough. Or they give them what they want so they can finally understand. Or "show people what it means to be outside the Single Market" as Barnier put it.

The boil is only going to be lanced when the people leading it are forced to turn around and admit that they've gone ballsed up.

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Or it's just the same the same few remainers continually crying about it because they didn't get their way

Contra @Chindie, I do find the result has made me depressed, because it's hurting my company and slowly destroying my industry. 

You might assume it's because I'm a big bawling baby, and that's your right to feel that way if you want, but I want the best for this country just as much as you do. Brexit is only going to damage this country. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Contra @Chindie, I do find the result has made me depressed, because it's hurting my company and slowly destroying my industry. 

You might assume it's because I'm a big bawling baby, and that's your right to feel that way if you want, but I want the best for this country just as much as you do. Brexit is only going to damage this country. 

I'm also in an industry that will be affected by it to a greater degree (because everyone is getting tarred with it ultimately but financial services will get a hammering) and will also get to see a lot of happening because I get to see a lot of business related info. It'll affect my job, perhaps badly, but I don't know. I'm waiting to see.

In the meantime it's banging the 'this is really **** stupid' drum and waiting for the pain to hit everyone.

Â