The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

55 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Invented in England I think ? (The fizzy part anyway)

Not quite. 16th Century France, it then became popular in England and the science behind it was established and written down by an English scientist (Christopher Merrett).

Then Dom Perignon came along shortly after.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

that includes labour

Uh? What have they had to do with any of this? They campaigned remain and did a bloody better job than Tories of it.

Since then they've voted for article 50 along with every single other MP apart from Ken Clarke because they had to.

I said before the referendum that my biggest worry about leaving the EU was that a massively neoliberal Tory gov was trying to remove all of the obstacles to their free market utopia which included EU regulation. Thankfully the Labour surge has provided another obstacle when it denied the Tories a majority and forced them to scale it back a bit.

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Not quite. 16th Century France, it then became popular in England and the science behind it was established and written down by an English scientist (Christopher Merrett).

Then Dom Perignon came along shortly after.

The bottles that could take the pressure were developed in England.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Uh? What have they had to do with any of this? They campaigned remain and did a bloody better job than Tories of it.

Since then they've voted for article 50 along with every single other MP apart from Ken Clarke because they had to.

I said before the referendum that my biggest worry about leaving the EU was that a massively neoliberal Tory gov was trying to remove all of the obstacles to their free market utopia which included EU regulation. Thankfully the Labour surge has provided another obstacle when it denied the Tories a majority and forced them to scale it back a bit.

My point was that Labour would make as big a mess of it as conservatives. Both are hopeless.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

My point was that Labour would make as big a mess of it as conservatives. Both are hopeless.

How do you know that? Labour have Keir Starmer who by any measure is way more appropriate as brexit secretary than David Davis

14 minutes ago, darrenm said:

That's not actually true, is it?

It was politically sensible to vote for it, but they didn't have to.

And plenty of MPs apart from Clarke didn't vote for it.

• Like 1

Just now, darrenm said:

How do you know that? Labour have Keir Starmer who by any measure is way more appropriate as brexit secretary than David Davis

Considering they failed in government before the conservatives came in  who are also currently failing. I think its safe to say bothe parties would not be able to take us out in a positive fashion.

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

That's not actually true, is it?

It was politically sensible to vote for it, but they didn't have to.

And plenty of MPs apart from Clarke didn't vote for it.

Out of the Tories, only Ken Clarke voted against it.

They would have lost anyway and then been cannon fodder for the papers, while losing all support of leavers. Absolutely no choice on the matter.

Just now, darrenm said:

Out of the Tories, only Ken Clarke voted against it.

They would have lost anyway and then been cannon fodder for the papers, while losing all support of leavers. Absolutely no choice on the matter.

On the first point yes, but that isn't the same as "every single other MP", is it?

47 Labour MPs voted against it. Which is impressive if they actually had "no choice". That's more than a fifth of the PLP who thought they actually did have a choice.

• Like 1

I wouldn't give Labour too much credit on the front of forcing the Tories to back down from a bonfire of the regulations.

For a start it might still happen.

Then you have to consider there are Tories that understand, in their neoliberalness, the necessity of market access for business and have fought that corner.

Then there's the business case in it's own merit. Lots of companies have made it clear there must be market access and that means the regulations stay.

And then there's the Tories wider fragmentation on Brexit. Just the cabinet has about 4 different views in significant positions alone.

The election certainly plays a part, but I wouldn't credit Labour with victory there at all, it simply isn't the case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Considering they failed in government before the conservatives came in  who are also currently failing. I think its safe to say bothe parties would not be able to take us out in a positive fashion.

Mate where do you get this stuff from? In what way did the (vastly different, might as well be a different party) last Labour government fail? The GFS which was nothing to do with them? Before that happened public spending and borrowing was sustainable and was following IMF recommendations for economic growth.

• Like 1

Just now, darrenm said:

Mate where do you get this stuff from? In what way did the (vastly different, might as well be a different party) last Labour government fail? The GFS which was nothing to do with them? Before that happened public spending and borrowing was sustainable and was following IMF recommendations for economic growth.

What do you mean where do i get this stuff from? If labour didnt fail they wouldnt have lost the last 3 elections. Oh and how about this if they didnt fail?

Image result for there is no money left note

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

On the first point yes, but that isn't the same as "every single other MP", is it?

47 Labour MPs voted against it. Which is impressive if they actually had "no choice". That's more than a fifth of the PLP who thought they actually did have a choice.

I thought it was obvious I was referring to only Labour and Conservative, and since Labour was the point of reference, 'every single other MP' means 'every single other MP from the Conservative party'.

If they have any ambitions of forming a government, no they didn't have any choice. The 47 who voted against the article 50 bill were wrong to do so. It was the wrong time to find a backbone.

I'm loathe to defend that stupid letter, especially as it's off topic, but it's hard to blame Labour with a straight face for the impact of a global crisis that wasn't caused by them.

Still, people do. That don't get it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What do you mean where do i get this stuff from? If labour didnt fail they wouldnt have lost the last 3 elections. Oh and how about this if they didnt fail?

Image result for there is no money left note

For the answer to that one have a look at what I said about the GFS ;)

Just now, darrenm said:

For the answer to that one have a look at what I said about the GFS ;)

If it was the conservatives people would be blaming them no the GFS. too easy to throw that card out when labour made so many mistakes at the time and not having any ideas to solve the problems. We pay them to get us out of the mess and they failed.

But the original point is that we would be under no better situation under labour with brexit. Both parties would struggle in my view 

Nonsense. Had it been the Tories the people blaming them would be as wrong as those blaming Labour now.

As for Brexit, it is and will remain a **** stupid idea and whoever was in charge would be **** it up. Because the only ways not to will not fly for the Brexit brigade. Largely because be best one means giving them the finger and saying don't be stupid.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We pay them to get us out of the mess and they failed.

They actually did get us out of the mess. They did everything they had to. It could have been a whole lot worse.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Nonsense. Had it been the Tories the people blaming them would be as wrong as those blaming Labour now.

As for Brexit, it is and will remain a **** stupid idea and whoever was in charge would be **** it up. Because the only ways not to will not fly for the Brexit brigade. Largely because be best one means giving them the finger and saying don't be stupid.

Disagree with first part but agree with 2nd 

Â