The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 hours ago, limpid said:

I disagree. You can be entitled to vote but not register. Someone who has moved house but not yet registered on the electoral roll at the new property is still entitled to a vote, but they aren't registered. Dunno.

Like I say, semantics, but in order to be "entitled" to vote, you have to be registered. The entitlement is bestowed by being on the register. Not on the register, not entitled, not part of the electorate.

if you're of voting age and meet the other criteria, but don't register then you are most definitely not part of the electorate. You're excluded.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Like I say, semantics, but in order to be "entitled" to vote, you have to be registered. The entitlement is bestowed by being on the register. Not on the register, not entitled, not part of the electorate.

if you're of voting age and meet the other criteria, but don't register then you are most definitely not part of the electorate. You're excluded.

I agree mostly. For the subject of this thread though, the electorate should have been anyone who would lose rights as a result of the decision. At least in order to have been binding.

What was the point of the referendum?  Now it looks like there will be no leaving the EU because the politicians will keep it knocking about in Parliament for years!  Also the butter mountains will become even bigger and the milk quota's will shrink.  Looking forward to my income tax going up to pay for all the refugees that will arrive this summer!   

6 minutes ago, ermie123 said:

Looking forward to my income tax going up to pay for all the refugees that will arrive this summer!   

The absurdity of this statement is mind-boggling in so many ways.

• Like 1

One thing I still don't understand. What is the criteria for making a decision into a public referendum? Almost everything else is decided by parliament and lords so why was membership of the EU left to the public when it was subject to media pressure? And why hasn't there been a referendum for funding of public services, for tracking, for Hinckley point, for terminal 3 etc? It almost seems to me the referendum was always obviously reckless as a decision making process so it seems that the division caused is on purpose and the result was never actually important. Misdirection is a standard magician's trick for when they don't want the audience to look at what they're doing behind their back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The absurdity of this statement is mind-boggling in so many ways.

Why is it absurd?  Who else is going to pay? Will it be coming from the profits of business?  The government gets its money from tax payers, same as the EU so if tax payers are not going to pay for the extra schools, hospitals ect ect who is?  Also i don't just mean the UK i mean Europe as well.  The hard fact is that money has to come from somewhere it does not grow on trees.  The UK's debt is increasing all the time so where exactly is this going to end?  The government cannot print money to pay it off as the Wiemar republic tried that with the resulting hyper inflation.  Germany and France are having an election this year and if they vote for a anti EU party what then?  The EU implodes on itself and everybody will want to trade with America ect.  Its a complete crock of **** and its the fault of the people for believing all the bull****

5 minutes ago, ermie123 said:

Why is it absurd?  Who else is going to pay? Will it be coming from the profits of business?  The government gets its money from tax payers, same as the EU so if tax payers are not going to pay for the extra schools, hospitals ect ect who is?  Also i don't just mean the UK i mean Europe as well.  The hard fact is that money has to come from somewhere it does not grow on trees.  The UK's debt is increasing all the time so where exactly is this going to end?  The government cannot print money to pay it off as the Wiemar republic tried that with the resulting hyper inflation.  Germany and France are having an election this year and if they vote for a anti EU party what then?  The EU implodes on itself and everybody will want to trade with America ect.  Its a complete crock of **** and its the fault of the people for believing all the bull****

What has any of that have to do with "Looking forward to my income tax going up to pay for all the refugees that will arrive this summer!"?

• Like 1

The EU will require more money not only to pay for last years, but this years as well.  I pay income tax to the government who pay a chunk of it to the EU so you do the maths.  Don't forget the EU gave 60 billion euro to African countries last year to try and stem the flow and everybody knows what happens when you pump cash into Africa!!  Anyway i'm watching the game now this will keep for later, enjoy your day and UTV!!! 

56 minutes ago, ermie123 said:

What was the point of the referendum?  Now it looks like there will be no leaving the EU because the politicians will keep it knocking about in Parliament for years!

When did you think that, if the result of the referendum was 'Leave', the UK would actually no longer be part of the EU?

24th June 2016? By about now? Before the coming summer? Or at the end of the two year period after invoking Article 50?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, meregreen said:

The hate and bile sown by the Daily Heil and other hate monger is reaping a bitter harvest in this country. Sad.

So we hear... yet the Daily Mail only has a circulation of about 1.5 million. I read 36% of Mail readers voted Remain. The Sun has a circulation of around 1.7 million, yet 17.6 million people voted for Brexit.

The numbers are not even close to justifying this BS narrative of dummies being duped into voting for Brexit by right wing media, however comforting that may feel in certain quarters. 

16 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Did someone from Trump's team say the UK was at the now moved from the back to the front of the queue for a trade deal or did I imagine it all ?

No you didn't imagine it, the word coming from Trump's team is that they are prioritizing an FTA with the UK once we leave. The US averages less than 18 months to organize an FTA so that should get signed shortly after our two year exit process is complete. 

Even if Trump was impeached it wouldn't stop it because Pence would take over the existing team and majority leader in the House Paul Ryan also supports it. 

We'd have been screwed under President Hillary but lucky for the UK she ain't. 

28 minutes ago, Awol said:

So we hear... yet the Daily Mail only has a circulation of about 1.5 million. I read 36% of Mail readers voted Remain. The Sun has a circulation of around 1.7 million, yet 17.6 million people voted for Brexit.

The numbers are not even close to justifying this BS narrative of dummies being duped into voting for Brexit by right wing media, however comforting that may feel in certain quarters. 

Well it was obviously one factor, one among many no doubt but it is significant and shouldn't be discounted however comforting that may feel in certain quarters. 

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Well it was obviously one factor, one among many no doubt but it is significant and shouldn't be discounted however comforting that may feel in certain quarters. 

It's easy to say it's obvious but where is the evidence? It's an assumption made from a particular political perspective, not a fact supported by data. 

38 minutes ago, Awol said:

No you didn't imagine it, the word coming from Trump's team is that they are prioritizing an FTA with the UK once we leave. The US averages less than 18 months to organize an FTA so that should get signed shortly after our two year exit process is complete. 

Even if Trump was impeached it wouldn't stop it because Pence would take over the existing team and majority leader in the House Paul Ryan also supports it. 

We'd have been screwed under President Hillary but lucky for the UK she ain't. 

You are not worried at all by his 'America First!' rhetoric in the negotiations to come?

Particularity given the potential for the UK to be in a vulnerable position at the end of the Article 50 process and potentially looking for 'any port in a storm'?

Just now, LondonLax said:

You are not worried at all by his 'America First!' rhetoric in the negotiations to come?

Particularity given the potential for the UK to be in a vulnerable position at the end of the Article 50 process and potentially looking for 'any port in a storm'?

No, I'm not worried. 

48 minutes ago, Awol said:

The online readership is massive I suspect.  The Daily Mail online is read by Dutch people on the train so how many people in the UK visit it ? I estimate 5-10 Million + easily.

Also,  a lot of the other papers online require a subscription but the Daily Mail does not apply this and does not keep bugging you to join etc so I imagine that is a draw at the very least ?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The online readership is massive I suspect.  The Daily Mail online is read by Dutch people on the train so how many people in the UK visit it ? I estimate 5-10 Million + easily.

Also,  a lot of the other papers online require a subscription but the Daily Mail does not apply this and does not keep bugging you to join etc so I imagine that is a draw at the very least ?

Google fu reveals MailOnline was the largest in the world in 2012 with 45 million unique visitors globally - personally had no idea it was so widely read. 

Regardless though, no one has shown any evidence of this alleged correlation between reading an online publication and becoming brainwashed into voting to leave the EU. 

Â