The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The oversized (as share of GDP) and increasingly inefficient financial services sector needs to be cut down somewhat. I don't think in the case of job losses in finance that it is all that of a terrible thing. 

How is the financial services sector inefficient? Genuine question, I'd be interested in the insight. From my perspective more or less every non-automated business is inefficient to some extent but I'm not sure I'd particularly pick out financial services for ire. For reference I work in the insurance industry.

14 hours ago, blandy said:

Um, not on the BBC? Like, on Bloomberg  In a video interview. also reported here

It's not BBC mischief making. Whether he'll do what he says and all the rest of it, time will tell, but saying it's not true or it's the BBC being naughty isn't correct.

Well, I think it is correct, sorry. They haven't confirmed anything, which is the original point I was making.

8 minutes ago, Risso said:

Well, I think it is correct, sorry. They haven't confirmed anything, which is the original point I was making.

Yes they have. They're on record saying jobs are going.

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

Well, he's confirmed it will happen if May actually does what she says. If we leave the single market, the jobs will need to go. Theresa May has said we will leave the single market. The jobs aren't going overnight, because we're not leaving the single market overnight, but it doesn't get much more of a confirmation than that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Risso said:

They haven't confirmed anything, which is the original point I was making.

That's fair enough, the jobs haven't yet actually been moved as of today and I suspect you're right in the implication that there will be more talk of jobs going than actual jobs moving at the end of the day (if we're lucky). 

I was responding to this bit, really

15 hours ago, Risso said:

It's typical BBC pro-Remain, show Brexit in the worst light possible, bollocks.  Where does Gulliver mention 1,000 jobs that they quote at the start?  He doesn't. 

With my link to a video of him mentioning 1,000 jobs and an article directly quoting him mentioning 1000 jobs and pointing out that it wasn't made up by the BBC.

It's so easy for people to look for things that confirm their own views on Brexit - leave or remain, and as you hint and HV implies, the media isn't doing a great job of genuine straight reporting - everything seems nuanced one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Interesting numbers.  Seems she's treading the right path with the electorate, if not with VT! 

Short term, definitely. It won't have done any harm all the supportive media coverage she's had.

We can't know for certain, but I bet if a survey was done on the comments of the various EU bods who've said (I paraphrase) "ha, ha, dream on May" that the survey results would show everyone thinks the Yurpeens are quite beastly.

In other words, what's currently being commented on is people's reactions to talk about what various parties want, not what they actually ended up getting and what the consequences of that are.

In due course, when stuff actually starts changing, that's what really matters.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Corbyn is going to be having Labour MPs whipped to vote in favour of article 50. 

So Labour MPs in remain areas are going to have to vote against their constituents. **** off, Jeremy.

A fair few of them will defy the whip to protect their own local mandate. As a serial rebel himself Corbyn can't complain with much credibility. 

To really rub salt in the wounds, This was 2 months ago. What a **** clearing in the woods. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-block-article-50-theresa-may-cannot-guarantee-single-market-access-brexit-a7400266.html

Labour could block Brexit by voting against Article 50 over single market demands, Jeremy Corbyn says

Labour will block the UK’s exit from the European Union if the Government is unable to guarantee access to the single market, Jeremy Corbyn has said.

The opposition will join forces with Tory Remain supporters and other parties to prevent Article 50 from being triggered if this trade access is not assured, the Labour leader told the Sunday Mirror. 

Mr Corbyn suggested Prime Minister Theresa May, who has a slim Commons majority, would be forced into an early general election if she fails to meet Labour’s “Brexit bottom line”.

The Government is appealing a High court ruling ordering that Ms May must seek MPs’ approval to trigger Article 50.

A coalition of anti-Brexit campaigners took the case against the Government. Their lawyers told the court, that constitutional law establishes that only parliament can take away rights of British citizens, and some rights would be lost upon losing EU citizenship. 

Mr Corbyn said: "The court has thrown a big spanner in the works by saying Parliament must be consulted.

"We accept the result of the referendum. We are not challenging the referendum. We are not calling for a second referendum. We're calling for market access for British industry to Europe."

Edited by Davkaus

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Interesting numbers.  Seems she's treading the right path with the electorate, if not with VT! 

As per the last two question perhaps the questions should have been , " not try to remain in the single market /fail to negotiate a new trade deal" and " leave customs union / fail to make own trade deals. Both of which seem the most likely outcome at the moment. Those original questions were both loaded, in that the alternatives given were positive, when they are looking decidedly the opposite.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Corbyn is going to be having Labour MPs whipped to vote in favour of article 50. 

That's kind of wierd, cus I was told Labour had, well, um, "gone to live on a farm". I mean it's was pretty old when it was last seen, and in dog years that's very old indeed. So in some ways it shouldn't have been a surprise. Even it's owner, a man called Jeremy, was looking a bit sad and bewildered when last spotted.

I think it was probably for the best, and I'm sure we can get another one soon. Perhaps one that can bite and bark properly and scare off the nasty people who want to steal all our stuff and sell it to the City folk. Maybe they could get a better carer of it, though. Someone who isn't so clueless? someone who could look after it and nurture it.

5 hours ago, blandy said:

That's fair enough, the jobs haven't yet actually been moved as of today and I suspect you're right in the implication that there will be more talk of jobs going than actual jobs moving at the end of the day (if we're lucky). 

I was responding to this bit, really

With my link to a video of him mentioning 1,000 jobs and an article directly quoting him mentioning 1000 jobs and pointing out that it wasn't made up by the BBC.

It's so easy for people to look for things that confirm their own views on Brexit - leave or remain, and as you hint and HV implies, the media isn't doing a great job of genuine straight reporting - everything seems nuanced one way or the other.

The BBC seems to have not reported that he thinks that the UK financial centre will remain globally important, and if there is any damage caused by Brexit this will have corrected itself within 2 to 3 years.  Also, the other bloke in the HoC committee said that only a third of the possible 1,000 jobs would be "front line" ie what people think of as "bankers".

Â