The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I thought it was parliaments equivalent of the Naughty Step in the Benn Act

There should be some provision for that kind of thing.  Being locked in a cupboard by Black Rod, perhaps, or having to clean the parliamentary toilets for a month.  Or being handcuffed to Mark Francois for a week.  Is that too extreme?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

There should be some provision for that kind of thing.  Being locked in a cupboard by Black Rod, perhaps, or having to clean the parliamentary toilets for a month.  Or being handcuffed to Mark Francois for a week.  Is that too extreme?

Or being forced to clean Mark Francois' toilet? 

People have had enough of experts

16 October 2019

UK’s annual share of EU research funding has fallen by half a billion Euros since 2015

Almost a 40% drop in UK applications to Horizon 2020

Figures suggest the UK is now a less attractive destination for top international science talent – with 35% fewer scientists coming to the UK through key schemes

UK share of Horizon 2020 funding has fallen

The UK’s share of EU research funding has fallen by 28% since 2015 and the number of researchers coming to the UK as part of the EU’s Marie Sklodowska Curie Fellowships has fallen by a third.  New analysis carried out by the Royal Society has shown that UK science has suffered amidst all the uncertainty surrounding Brexit.

Venki Ramakrishnan, President of the Royal Society said “We have seen a dramatic drop in the number of leading researchers who want to come to the UK.  People do not want to gamble with their careers, when they have no sense of whether the UK will be willing and able to maintain its global scientific leadership. UK science has also missed out on around €0.5 billion a year because of the uncertainty around Brexit. The potential paralysis of a no-deal Brexit and the current state of chaos are hurting UK science and that is hurting the national interest.”

Figures suggest the UK is now a less attractive destination for top international science talent – with 35% fewer scientists coming to the UK through the EU’s Marie Sklodowska Curie Fellowships.

The Royal Society

No diesel was harmed in this post

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Still going up. 

I have to buy some foreign currency, and it's hard to know when to do it.  The amount it will save me or cost me depending on when I do it is probably worth about a quid, but it somehow feels like a Strategically Important Decision.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, peterms said:

Hard to see how the DUP can accept something that makes NI anything other than fully part of the UK customs union.  It goes to the heart of the identity issue for them, and compromise would make them an easy target for attack by other unionist elements.  It's not something that can be sorted with another bribe.

The Employment Act of 1947 required English people needed work permits to move to Northern Ireland. Please remind any and all DUPes that this economic border in the Irish Sea existed until the 1970s.

Removed, ironically, because the UK joined the EEC.

17 minutes ago, Enda said:

Please remind any and all DUPes that this economic border in the Irish Sea existed until the 1970s.

If I knew any, I'd be happy to do so.

But I don't think any of my friends or acquaintances are DUPes.

I expect it's my loss.  I'm sure they're lovely people...

15 minutes ago, peterms said:

If I knew any, I'd be happy to do so.

But I don't think any of my friends or acquaintances are DUPes.

I expect it's my loss.  I'm sure they're lovely people...

We’ll trade you the DUP for access to the BBC iPlayer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, peterms said:

I have to buy some foreign currency, and it's hard to know when to do it.  The amount it will save me or cost me depending on when I do it is probably worth about a quid, but it somehow feels like a Strategically Important Decision.

Open an online bank account with Starling, use the card for purchases overseas opting to pay in local currency, or make ATM withdrawals.

Starling take no commission and you always get the Mastercard base rate, which is superior to any publicly available forex.

• Like 2

Â