The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

And decades of status quo will remain, the bottle manufacturers, the makers of bottling plants etc are not going to change because... Britain.

Someone tells a Frenchman that the UK can now sell wine by the pint...

giphy.gif

Maybe they won't but I'm certain that if someone sees a way to sell their wine for a hidden mark up they'll jump at the chance. 

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sparkling, different rules :D 

The full list from above

But it isn't true to say you can sell it in any measure you want. You can't. It has to be those specific ones

Yep. I can see it now.

I’m finding ‘wine’ in all manner of sizes, then there’s a bit of small print and it basically says ‘wine style drink’, or ‘fruit wine’, or ‘contains wine’.

I’m not sure how or why wine made from grapes wouldn’t qualify as a fruit wine, but clearly its some industry work around where small print fruit wine means it isn’t wine so they can sell it in a bottle 50ml smaller.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

A lovely glass of English wine with ice please barman. 

We’ve just bough a bottle of english sparkling wine, I’ve spent an unreasonable amount of money on it. I’d already thought it was expensive, now it turns out it’s a **** gift for someone else! We’re exchanging it on the border tomorrow for one of our nippers.

Personally, I’d have been happy to keep the wine and have a teams call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Sparkling, different rules :D 

The full list from above

But it isn't true to say you can sell it in any measure you want. You can't. It has to be those specific ones

But were those measures enforced by the EU? If the UK had previously wanted to sell a pint, could that have been added to the"allowed" list prior to Brexit?

27 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

But were those measures enforced by the EU? If the UK had previously wanted to sell a pint, could that have been added to the"allowed" list prior to Brexit?

Nope, metrification in the UK started in 1965 and was at the request of industry and nothing to do with any attempt to join the EEC

There has been a Weights and Measures act in the UK which has specified the measures alcohol should be sold in (and a whole host of other stuff) for a very long time. Iirc spirits in a pub used to be sold in units of 1/6th of a gill, which was then changed to the almost equivalent 25ml, this was after EEC membership iirc but the process had started long before, there was even some quango called the metrication board or somesuch that oversaw all the changes and they changed a few things every year. I remember the change from stupid pounds to the 100p in the pound happening when I was in infants around 1969.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I remember the change from stupid pounds to the 100p in the pound happening when I was in infants around 1969.

I was 15. I could easily calculate change, etc. in Pounds, Shillings and Pence, even to this day. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

If Brexit is to mean anything, we have to have a 3p coin to resurrect the phrase, ‘show us your thrups’.

I demand the return of the farthing, a quarter of a whole old penny, which in todays money would be the equivalent of one tenth of a penny :D 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If Brexit is to mean anything, we have to have a 3p coin to resurrect the phrase, ‘show us your thrups’.

They keep coming up with these batshit ideas under the banner of Brexit benefits but don’t even implement them.

They aren’t even mental in a productive way 

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, bickster said:

And pennies were bigger than a 2p coin to properly confuse you

My Dad's got quite a collection of old pennies. Tried to collect as many years as he could. 

He hasn't got the 1874 one anymore, I have that. 

Strange the turn this conversation has taken as on Christmas Day I was discussing decimalisation with my parents. My mum was saying how confusing it was going decimal. She knew where she was with all the ridiculous odd coinage and found 10 of everything confusing.  Which I found very odd. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Kids today don’t even know we had a two and a half pence coin but to make it fun, it had six pence written on it.

Thruppence and ha'penny? Farthings were a bit before my time ... but I have a few.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

a collection of old pennies.

I have a Heaton penny, but never managed to get a Kings Norton penny.

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Strange the turn this conversation has taken as on Christmas Day I was discussing decimalisation with my parents. My mum was saying how confusing it was going decimal. She knew where she was with all the ridiculous odd coinage and found 10 of everything confusing.  Which I found very odd. 

My elderly parents found it all very irritating. 

As a teenager, I was exactly the right age to take it in stride. I was perfectly OK with the old system, but it was obvious that decimal was much simpler.  

• Like 1

Â