The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I feel the same when I see a Wolves flag turn up on the Glastonbury coverage.

Harvey Proctor wants to stop people choosing to wave flags. Seems odd, perhaps he had been caning it beforehand and didn't think clearly.

Right wingers wanting to control what sort of flags can be used at mass events.

Also, we should have more flaming torches and a few more blond children.

A few large eagle motifs wouldn’t go amiss, and I always like processions of smartly turned out jungvolk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A few large eagle motifs wouldn’t go amiss, and I always like processions of smartly turned out jungvolk.

No more foreign music, either. That bloody Beethoven can go. Stick with good British composers like Gustav Holst and Georg Friedrich Handel. 

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Torches? What's  wrong  with a good old book burning?

• Like 2

Interesting that Starmer seems anxious not to announce anything that may rock the boat but HAS said he will renegotiate BREXIT. 

Interesting that he must obviously see this as a vote winner rather than something controversial. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Interesting that Starmer seems anxious not to announce anything that may rock the boat but HAS said he will renegotiate BREXIT. 

Interesting that he must obviously see this as a vote winner rather than something controversial. 

It could be that he feels they’ll get more negative coverage by saying nothing (which I think was plan A).

Its not possible to negotiate a worse deal so it should be seen as a positive by all, but I doubt it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Hilarious stuff:

The European Court has ruled that the UK must pay €32 million for a transgression of EU rules. 

The hefty fine relates to the UK failing to enforce the prohibition of marked fuel usage in private pleasure boats within the timeframe the Commission prescribed. Although the transgression took place in Northern Ireland where EU rules still apply, the ECJ ruled to charge the whole UK economy. Apparently the penalty fine calculated from Northern Ireland’s GDP “would not be sufficiently dissuasive”, so the entire UK ‘s GDP is used instead.

(with apologies for the link to that sewer I'm citing)

Edited by ml1dch

33 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Guess that's what happens when you take a terribly silly idea and execute it in a terribly silly way. 

At what point does re-joining become a credible election strategy?

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

At what point does re-joining become a credible election strategy?

If / when there is cross-party consensus that it's a good idea. As it won't be something on offer until then. 

22 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If / when there is cross-party consensus that it's a good idea. As it won't be something on offer until then. 

Not just that, but for a couple of UK elections, too. And then only if the EU is also interested in us rejoining.

Just now, blandy said:

Not just that, but for a couple of UK elections, too. And then only if the EU is also interested in us rejoining.

The cross-party consensus is the thing that the other countires will need to see to make them interested. As they aren't going to entertain the idea if there's a possibility they'll be dealing with a Government that wants to leave again five years later.

Â