The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

to be fair to him he's obviously very very **** wrong but he's voicing an opinion and a concern that is very popular and has been about for many many years and no one has ever even tried to do anything about

he's just another example of a popular opinion that should have been addressed at the last general election, if not the one before that but it wasn't, so its spilled in to this vote

And so "the Big Lie" is unraveling.

Daniel Hannan, Leave and Tory MEP stated today:

'Of course there is still going to be immigration. There are still going to be people coming here to work and you will look in vain for anything the Leave campaign said at any point that suggested there would be any kind of border closure or pulling up of the drawbridge.'

i never doubted for a second that there wouldnt be immigration, hence why a defended myself against the xenophobia bullshit, i want controlled immigration rather than an open door, i want to let as many people in as we can cope with be it intellectuals, qualified people, people who offer something and then any more space we have should be given to asylum seekers and refugees 

what i dont want is people coming here simply because our minimum wage is higher than their minimum wage, thats a crazy disparity that didnt exist when we signed up to the EU and now results in the EU IMO being flawed

• Like 1

Right. With a horrible day done, I'm done with this topic. The day has depressed and angered me to the core, more than I thought it might, and I'm not having it ruin my weekend any further.

I thought we might be better than what it appears many of us are. 

• Like 2

Won't make the slightest difference but worth a few seconds of anyone's time nethertheless;

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215/

EU Referendum Rules, 450,000 have already signed it.

Personally, as I understand it, the referendum isn't  legally binding anyway. So call an election where one party promises to either abort or re-run the referendum and see how the public vote a second time. I'd be supremely confident that if it was asked again today the Remain campaign would easily get to 70% - people are waking up this morning realising their protest vote backfired, that the 'scare stories' were actually facts and that Farage needed less than 24hrs to admit the cornerstone of the Leave campaign was a lie. Whilst few might admit it, I'm confident around half of those who voted out yesterday are already regretting their decision - I've spoken to a few today who have implied as much. 

Edited by jackbauer24
wording
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

'Of course there is still going to be immigration. There are still going to be people coming here to work and you will look in vain for anything the Leave campaign said at any point that suggested there would be any kind of border closure or pulling up of the drawbridge.'

Sorry Mike, what problem do you have with Dan's comment?

Wasn't Leave's position that we should limit the free movement of Europeans to the UK, not halt immigration?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can't find anything to back the claim but I've read in a few places that turnout for 18-24 year olds was 25 %

if true then they don't appear to have been staunch at all .... I'm still searching to try and substantiate that figure though 

Having seen nothing other than the headline polling statistics for age range voting, i accept that you may know more than I do on the turnout figures which if true are disappointing.

As someone who has generally supported the actions of our current government in the past I now find myself completely alienated by the current situation in the major political parties. I am generally pro EU and voted remain which makes me not inclined to support a Boris/Gove Brexit government. On the other hand we have a Corbyn led Labour party which I have major disagreements with, I now find myself intrinsically against both sides of our great political situation.I'm sure there are many like minded people but I genuinely wonder what we are supposed to do other than sit worried shaking our heads at the current state of affairs with no input into any debate possible.There now seems to be no moderate in between to these two extreme viewpoints.

I realise that I have made no point whatsoever in the above but just felt that I needed somewhere to get my current disillusionment and disappointment at what is going on off my chest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

yeah because flippant comments help the thousands who are now disillusioned! I hope the younger vote remain staunch in what they believe! 

no more likes but spot on.i've got a niece and nephew who i hope espouse your views

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

That's all I have heard from the leave voters. Immigration. It's the only thing they are interested in and they don't even understand how it works. Granted there are some who have voted for other reasons but I'm talking about what I have heard directly. None of them have had anything else to say.

i'd like it but i have no more likes

32 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

no more likes but spot on for me

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

They're eminently deniable. The entire project is founded on using business to secure a peaceful Europe. Business isn't federalist. Everything it does aims to make trade easier. It's never particularly approached it from a federalist standpoint.

And as said, even if it wanted to, it'd run into a car crash of national sovereignty debacles it couldn't overcome. So it hasn't even attempted it.

I don't need to reread the history of the European Union. I've a well thumbed selection of books on my shelf that are testament to that. Would you like to borrow them? You might need them more than me.

I think your well thumbed books may need updating. Do you remember Giscard D'Estaing? Or perhaps he was before your time. When he was involved in drawing up the first constitution, he disguised his intentions:

"I knew the word 'federal' was ill-perceived by the British and a few others. I thought that it wasn't worth creating a negative commotion, which could prevent them supporting something that otherwise they would have supported," he told the Wall Street Journal. "So I rewrote my text, replacing intentionally the word 'federal' with the word communautaire, which means exactly the same thing."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/1435550/Giscards-federal-ruse-to-protect-Blair.html

No, no federalist pretensions there. 

I don't know why I'm bothering. I never once said the EU was a federation, I said it was increasingly federalist compared with what we joined in the 70's. Why you saw fit to launch into a lengthy denial is beyond me.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair to him he's obviously very very **** wrong but he's voicing an opinion and a concern that is very popular and has been about for many many years and no one has ever even tried to do anything about

he's just another example of a popular opinion that should have been addressed at the last general election, if not the one before that but it wasn't, so its spilled in to this vote

This bothers me. 

Just how far should we go to 'do something about' the concerns of someone who is 'obviously very very **** wrong'? Do we need to adopt his viewpoint wholeheartedly?

he's a man who thinks that voting to leave the EU will stop muslims from africa and iraq coming to live in the UK, so the statement that he's very wrong isn't really up to debate in my head, he's a man living in barnsley who sees a couple of asians around him and is convinced they're taking over, i can honestly say ive never been to barnsley so i dont know what the demographic up there is

but issues like the governments policy on syrians, on integration between asian communities and traditional english communities, if you want to throw in terrorism and the muslim scaremongering to the melting pot, all of those issues should have been identified and clarified during and after the general election and isolated from this debate but because of the way politics now is in this country where they dont ever actually address any issues they just wrap them up in something else push it to the side hoping they'll go away it means that they are still still relevant concerns and people are confusing the real issues

the shambolic campaigning from both sides hasnt helped in the slightest, there is unfortunate a quantifiable number of people in this country who believe that thousands of syrian men are landing in greece, no women or children, and they've all got iphones so they arent poor, and the greeks are giving them passports on the spot which means they're now using our nhs and have a council house in which they can start planning their terrorism...and if we vote to leave they'll never make it here

that belief should have been addressed and put to bed long before we ever got near a polling station, that shouldnt be part of this referendum but quite obviously is

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he's a man who thinks that voting to leave the EU will stop muslims from africa and iraq coming to live in the UK, so the statement that he's very wrong isn't really up to debate in my head, he's a man living in barnsley who sees a couple of asians around him and is convinced they're taking over, i can honestly say ive never been to barnsley so i dont know what the demographic up there is

Just looked it up, and of course Barnsley is 95.2% English, and only 0.4% of the population is Muslim, with less than 1% having Religions which your typical racist would confuse as Muslim (i.e Sikh, Hindu, etc.), of course the prick* thinks Muslims are flooding into the country ruining the place, he's probably never even met a **** Muslim!

*Note: This prick in particular, not all Leave voters before anyone says.

• Like 1

Only just got to talk about this now as been catching up on this thread. Went to sleep about 10.30pm on Thursday as had work in the morning, fully expected to wake up to see remain win. Man was I shocked to see leave win. I'm just wondering what it would do with my career choice as I was considering going into research (microbiology) but with many universities and institutions losing out on EU funding grants I'm confused. As a 19 year old, this is worrying for me. Let's hope for the best. 

13 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Only just got to talk about this now as been catching up on this thread. Went to sleep about 10.30pm on Thursday as had work in the morning, fully expected to wake up to see remain win. Man was I shocked to see leave win. I'm just wondering what it would do with my career choice as I was considering going into research (microbiology) but with many universities and institutions losing out on EU funding grants I'm confused. As a 19 year old, this is worrying for me. Let's hope for the best. 

I really do hate to say this, but it looks on the surface like uk science in general will suffer, and funded research in particular will take a massive hit. 

The government funding for scientific research has been proportionally low compared to other eu countries, and the eu has been a large contributor to British research.

Of course the govt could use money that would go to the eu to cover this shortfall, but I'd be surprised as I don't think they'd see it as a vote winner.

But as a fellow scientist, I would say this, keep on studying and see how you feel about the subject after a few years of study, you may still love it and want to go fully into research(in which case you can see what's available, even emigrate on a working visa if necessary) ,or you may decide that research isn't for you(like I did), but either way with a science degree you'll always have open doors, and other options if things don't work out exactly the way you planned.

• Like 2

Â