What's going on?

Everyone
Everyone is so near
Everyone has got the fear
It's holding on

thommad.gif

• Like 1

Land of hope and glory.

If for no other reason than to be reminded of the Macho Man Randy Savage every time it gets played or sung. 

FxgYiO0.gif

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

I'd have great trouble in signing GSTQ (or K). I'm not religious and don't believe in 'God'. I'm also anti-monarchy. So the idea of asking 'God' to save her Maj really doesn't appeal to me. Plus, it's a shit tune.

Jerusalem, for me, ticks many of the right boxes. It still has the (more slight) religious aspect, but at least it's not actually asking 'God' to do something for 'us'. Plus it's a better tune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Land of hope and glory.

If for no other reason than to be reminded of the Macho Man Randy Savage every time it gets played or sung. 

FxgYiO0.gif

Oooooooooooooooooooooh Yeah!

Or 'The Graduation Song' as the Yanks call it.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I'd have great trouble in signing GSTQ (or K). I'm not religious and don't believe in 'God'. I'm also anti-monarchy. So the idea of asking 'God' to save her Maj really doesn't appeal to me. Plus, it's a shit tune.

Jerusalem, for me, ticks many of the right boxes. It still has the (more slight) religious aspect, but at least it's not actually asking 'God' to do something for 'us'. Plus it's a better tune.

for me Jerusalem has become like Angels , a very meh song sung by drunk people as some form of Anthem  .... and It gets played at funerals by people lacking in originality to boot

at least GSTQ in that regard stays unique  , if we become a republic then yeah fine ditch it but I don't see that happening anytime soon  , unless they all die in a freak accident while posing for a family photograph *

* go on smart people

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Land of hope and glory.

FxgYiO0.gif

the players should have to wear similar costumes instead of the team tracksuits

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Jerusalem, for me, ticks many of the right boxes. It still has the (more slight) religious aspect,

At least the religionist bit is balanced by a spot of casual satanism. So it's deity neutral, I guess. And it's all a bit quizzical, too, which suits the English (or does it?).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:
10 hours ago, Eames said:
The English/British National Anthem should of course be:

I vow to thee, my country...

As long as we don't have to sing the last verse.

No no. Just that verse. The rest is too religiousy

15 minutes ago, Eames said:

No no. Just that verse. The rest is too religiousy

Okay then.

There's no mention of a monarch and the tune's not bad (Holst is it?) so I'll take that - though I'm not sure about some of the lyrics and I'd have preferred the Bragg song. :D

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

Okay then.

There's no mention of a monarch and the tune's not bad (Holst is it?) so I'll take that - though I'm not sure about some of the lyrics and I'd have preferred the Bragg song. :D

It was braggs version that first introduced me to it, I heard a version by a Welsh male orpheus choir, lovely stuff. 

I put forward a tune that will get the players "going".

ithe new anthem for England has to be "The Ace of Spades"

imagine that coming on a full blast in a packed Wembley.

imagine that as the flag is raised above the winners rostrum at the F1/ Olympic's.

nothing else will compare

Â