A New England

chrisp65

So being discussed at the moment, whether England should have an England / English anthem.

BBC

England 2003 Rugby World Cup winner Lewis Moody revealed he has found himself humming Scotland's anthem at their games.

Any opinions on whether it even needs another anthem? Surely the current national anthem would suffice, with anything else just being what organically happens, rather than being officially endorsed?

Personally, as an outside observer, I genuinely have almost no opinion. I guess there are obvious contenders, New England, Jerusalem, Tubthumping...

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is this happening because people on Facebook believe that if you stare in to the mirror at night and say "I'm English" 3 times David Cameron turns up and puts an Isis terror cell posing as a Syrian family in your spare bedroom?

Its been discussed in parliament today. Up for further debate in a few months time. 

Edited by dAVe80

In a parallel universe where i represent my country at some form of sport as a staunch atheist republican i am unsure if my sentiments extend to god saving the queen. Conversely as a man that is very proud of this country it would be nice to have something. I have always loved Blakes Jerusalem even if i dont 100% agree with it. That said i also love bitches aint shit even though i dont agree 100% with that. Maybe if they have god save the queen a new tune i could tolerate it. 

10 hours ago, V01 said:

Ridiculous, you can't expect our moronic sportsmen(and women) to learn a new anthem, they barely know the old one.

Not that I'll ever be in such a situation, but I wouldn't sing about magic sky faeries either.

we should change it to God Save the King at the appropriate time but other than that leave it alone  ... if the jocks don't like it they can always vote for independence   , How's that North Sea oil fortune looking now chaps ?

I'm fully supportive of dropping GSTQ once the old dear goes - I can't bring myself to sing that about Charlie Boy and it seems like a good time to change. 

The English/British National Anthem should of course be:

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

• Like 1

Â