AVST: AGM with Tom Fox Q&A

limpid

I agree that there is a bit of a witch hunt mentality reading back through all this. You can understand it as effectively our dreams have been destroyed and it's now clear that success is now a pipedream at this club. By that i mean success in Europe or the Premier League.

Success for this club will now be winning the Championship & promotion from lower divisions or if we're lucky a few years down the line finishing in the top 10 of the Premier League..Woop woop! :(

To be fair - Fox in particular makes some decent points in the transcript, and certainly doesn't shirk responsibility. I also don't think he's pushed the blame onto Sherwood as much he could have.

Obviously without being at the meeting, you can't judge the mood, tone, body language etc. but looking at the text in black and white I find it hard to give him abuse.

Hollis on the other hand seems a little bit out of his depth right now, certainly from the point of view of what he is saying to fans and media. Sadly because of our position, the fans patience is minimal, and if we were at the top of the league and he referred to a supporter as a "customer", it probably wouldn't be jumped on so quickly. He's is going to have to get up to speed very quickly and gets the fans on his side.

Pleasing anyway that the summer contracts all had relegation clauses - some prudent planning for once, and that it is hoped that the manager and the squad will stay together if we go down. If the manager leaves and the squad is broken up, then I'm sure that will be thrown in Fox's face later down the line!

• Like 2

The difficult balancing act is going to be around the manager. They've put their cards on the table, saying that keeping him is one of their main priorities, but he's surely not going to go more than one transfer window with minimal-to-no investment in the playing squad. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

From what was said at the AGM

Fair enough but that is the first time, so he had done that on the same day I was asking the question. He hasn't to my knowledge done that before.

In regards your previous post in reply to mine, I appreciate the time that would have taken. Sadly I can't reply in kind as I'm on my phone but safe to say Indisagree on quite a bit but so be it.

What I would just add though is my over riding point is that so far Lerner has got virtually everything wrong including the appointment of Fox or the remit image was given at least based on the quote you've provided.

I fail to see how Hollis is going to break that pattern. Is he going to start appointing the managers? Is he somehow going to put the scouting structure in place? I can see how he can possible do either of those things.

So I'm struggling to see how he is going to change the fortunes of the club.

The things he has said are for me absolutely and utterly fundamentally wrong. OBE hits a lot of the points firmly on the head in his post.

Perhaps you are right perhaps Hollis can't win but for me the comments he has made so far are indicative of a man who doesn't understand football, the recent history of the club or the real issues we face and their causes.

Neither does he seem to understand the harm his words are doing.

• Like 1

It seemed though that it wasn't an unwillingness to spend but rather no player will come here and basically be almost guaranteed a 50% paycut for at least the next season.. Why not just go to a club with at least a decent chance of staying up...which is what they have done/are doing.

8 minutes ago, Wes said:

The main question I got from reading the transcript is what precisely did Paul Faulkner even do for 4 years?

Asleep at the wheel would be my guess.

Think he was pretty much just doing Randy's admin. Really don't think he had the same authority that Fox has.

Gotta spend money to make money.

All the top clubs have huge incomes because they are successful in the long term. They have a global brand and fans worldwide. They got there by spending money year on year. Chelsea and city being clear examples of that

There is absolutely zero reason why we couldn't have kept up with the top teams if Randolph had spent for a for years while we were on top.

taking money away is not the answer, any fool can see that.

Cutting expenditure is fine, I agree with cutting costs if we're wasting money. But you CANNOT under any circumstances cut the annual investments needed

Under Ellis I recall he complaint being he ran us like a corner shop , Randy was supposed to change this but clearly he didn't and we now have to rebuild from position of weakness.

Randy putting his own cash in has been a weakness, as its been the easy option to take  when if we where run correctly we would have generated enough revenue to fund purchasing , that his money was wasted on crap like N'zogbia has just made the situation worse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not really sure what Fox has said that has gotten everyone's knockers in a twist. Seems very forthright, open and honest, accepting responsibility. 

Fair play to him. 

One thing I will give credit to fox for was at least taking responsbility for the failings of hiring certain managers

• Like 1

Just read the transcript.

i can see what they're planning to do. 

Theyre keeping the squad together as much as they can, keeping Garde in, scouting the lower leagues.

im not really sure what else they can do in preparation for the championship. It sounds like that's what they're preparing for. 

I can take that, as long as they don't balls it up and we fall into the abyss.

22 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

"We didn't integrate them well"

That's what sticks out to me. No wonder we have struggled so much this season. Only since Garde came in have we looked like a 'team'.

Staggering that a premier league football club doesn't have the know how to integrate foreign players

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Under Ellis I recall he complaint being he ran us like a corner shop , Randy was supposed to change this but clearly he didn't and we now have to rebuild from position of weakness.

Randy putting his own cash in has been a weakness, as its been the easy option to take  when if we where run correctly we would have generated enough revenue to fund purchasing , that his money was wasted on crap like N'zogbia has just made the situation worse.

I think the problem is we kept being run like a corner shop but threw money at trying to be a lot bigger. It's damning that our revenue hardly beat inflation at a time of record tv money!!! 

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

Staggering that a premier league football club doesn't have the know how to integrate foreign players

I don't think it was off the field that was the problem it was having a manager in Sherwood who couldn't understand some need time to settle and chose to bomb them or slag them off!! 

• Like 1