AVST: AGM with Tom Fox Q&A

limpid

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

Staggering that a premier league football club doesn't have the know how to integrate foreign players

I'm surprised as well. I had been under the impression - perhaps mistakenly - that we had a woman whose exact job it was to very quickly help new players with finding houses, getting their belongings over, learning language basics etc. I was even under the impression that she was sufficiently well thought-of that it was one of the better features of our club. Oh well. Maybe it's not actually down to her - she might have left, or been sidelined by Sherwood, or something. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I'm surprised as well. I had been under the impression - perhaps mistakenly - that we had a woman whose exact job it was to very quickly help new players with finding houses, getting their belongings over, learning language basics etc. I was even under the impression that she was sufficiently well thought-of that it was one of the better features of our club. Oh well. Maybe it's not actually down to her - she might have left, or been sidelined by Sherwood, or something. 

I think we are reading too deep into that. It may not be that kind of integration they are talking about, it could be a dressing room issue.

In fact, we know it is don't we?  

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think we are reading too deep into that. It may not be that kind of integration they are talking about, it could be a dressing room issue.

We do if Veretout is to be believed, yes. I can't see any reason for him to be lying, although his personal situation was always a problem, what with having a new baby as well as moving to a new country. 

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

One thing I will give credit to fox for was at least taking responsbility for the failings of hiring certain managers

What did he say that was wrong to you? 

He defended the recruitment policy in the summer to a point, also admitting that they tried too much too soon, possibly put too much faith in the manager at the time who may I remind you turned out to be a **** idiot. Something Fox took responsibility for. All seems fair enough to me. Nice to get some clarification on that. 

Other than that... I'm honestly not seeing the issue here. He's basically said "all those things you thought about the club, you were right. It's a shambles". What else could he have said to appease people? Do you want him to be the latest fall guy and quit? 

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I took that to mean in the footballing sense - integrating 12 new players into a squad and starting 11. It's only in the last couple of weeks we've glimpses of this happening.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think Sherwood killed her confidence so she was unable to perform as well

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Further to my post above, I decided to go through the transcript and quote all the times Fox either took responsibility himself, or put responsibility on Lerner and those running the club.

In the end I couldn't be bothered as there are SO many times where he does it.

If you read the transcript and come to the conclusion that Fox is just blaming the managers then I'm totally lost. it's just not true.

But as I've already posted, that happened yesterday. Besides my rant was about what Hollis said.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

But as I've already posted, that happened yesterday. Besides my rant was about what Hollis said.

Does it not count if it happened yesterday? That's what this topic is about isn't it? what happened yesterday?

And no, it wasn't about Hollis. The OP I responded to that started our conversation was about Fox:

"Its okay, I'd just ask him about sponsorship deals and watch the snake oil salesman start to sweat as he involuntarily tells the room about what a monumental cock up he made appointing Sherwood."

You're talking about Fox there.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Hollis is clearly not a great public speaker. I don't feel like he said anything significant at all. 

When did you want Fox to take his share of responsibility? Last week? 4 weeks ago? A year ago? When and why does it matter?

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Sherwood killed her confidence so she was unable to perform as well

I do not think at any point Tom Fox blamed Tim Sherwood directly for them losing confidence. He doesn't need to, Sherwood managed to prove his worth all on his own. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I do not think at any point Tom Fox blamed Tim Sherwood directly for them losing confidence. He doesn't need to, Sherwood managed to prove his worth all on his own. 

I said it as a lot of people blamed Sherwood for killing Guzan confidence and is reason he is crap ;)

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

There's defintely a woman that helps them with all the day to day stuff like mortgages and car insurance forms etc. Juan Pablo Angel was left high and dry apparently with regard to this and they brought her in then IIRC.

from memory his child was ill as well and they struggled in England in his  early days

things is I remember GT mark 1 saying about helping foreign players integrate  at the club and people and things were put in place  ... seems the club then forgot that lesson

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was under the impression that she was appointed after Balaban and, especially, JPA. I'm pretty sure she was a Spanish speaker - she was in a video showing Sanchez around speaking to him.

I agree that we don't know the ins and outs of this: maybe she left, was marginalised or just isn't very good. These are issues that need resolving, we can't deny.

The issue, for me at least, is that this whole 'infrastructure' thing is now the explanation for everything. This and other infrastructure issues have taken centre stage.

Things don't have agency, though: people do. Lerner and, to a lesser extent, Fox are removing themselves from the decline. Don't blame the fans: people turn up week in and week out. We can't keep blaming very different managers despite their individual traits  and peculiarities. Don't raise prices to compete or raise cash from sales without replacing them adequately. Lerner knew the business when he arrived and it hasn't changed since.

Why is he acting like the rules of engagement, across the sport, have changed? The only thing that has changed is that he lost the bottle for it and needs a way to explain his rather pathetic position. 

He needs a confessor not a CEO.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I said it as a lot of people blamed Sherwood for killing Guzan confidence and is reason he is crap ;)

By "a lot" you actually mean one or two, don't you?

• Like 1

If we're not allowed to be concerned, annoyed and frustrated with what's been said, can someone point out what was said that we should be happy about? What was said that makes anyone think we'll be good again while Lerner remains the owner of the club?

Just now, DCJonah said:

If we're not allowed to be concerned, annoyed and frustrated with what's been said, can someone point out what was said that we should be happy about? What was said that makes anyone think we'll be good again while Lerner remains the owner of the club?

Has been said already but for me, basically all of it. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Does it not count if it happened yesterday? That's what this topic is about isn't it? what happened yesterday?

That comment was a joke in response to another poster saying he would answer a different question to the one asked.

Obviously what he said yesterday counts, I get your frustration that you don't think people's criticism is just but come on you are better than trying to put words in my mouth.

Anyway, I'm bowing out of this and the Hollis thread. I shall return to watching our games from behind the sofa or through bordom induced sleep as we lurch towards the Championship and await this brilliant new structure Hollis and Fox are going to put in place.