Ratings & Reactions: Sunderland v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Not even sure where to start

Guzan - Nothing he could do with 1st and 3rd goals, should have done better for 2nd. Generally had nothing else to do, but not commanding enough (should have spent half the game bollicking his back four) - 5

Cissohko - Good to have a left footer at left back, nothing else to say needs to settle back in squad. 6

Hutton - Few forwards runs, generally ok defensively. 6

Richards - Not a Captain, Not a Centre Back, goes wandering and all 3 goals can be in one way or another contributed to him. 3

Lescott - For some one with all that experience he needs to start showing it. Numerous times gets in others way, distrubutiong is not very good, but still slightly better than Richards today. 4

Bacuna - Started off well, had good energy and at least looked like he wanted to make something happen. - 6

Gana - Got everywhere but most of it protecting the back four, look fairly solid. - 6

Veretout - The pick of the bunch for me, covered every blade of grass, unlucky not to score, tried to get the team moving forward but often finds himself the furthest forward. One to keep. - 7

Gill - Great finish, other than that tried hard but lost ball far to often, don't think he suits that formation and the front players offer him no pass half the time. -6

Grealish - Wasted passes, didn't tackle, not much he did do. - 4

Gestede - Came deep to get ball which left us nothing up top, that's not his job he needs to be focal point furthest forward, always looked to laboured. -5

Subs - Traore - Acfually wanted to get ball and make something happened. Problem is now people will say told you so, been calling out for that. All his crosses were too deep, stood around a lot, slowed it down to much and gave himself to much to do, needs to learn to run into space and onto balls, very raw but needs to play (if not injured) - 7

Kozak - Offside more times than touched ball. -5

Sinclair - Prob his best performance.

Ref - Weak, didn't have a clue what was going on half the time, didn't make any decisions one way or another just carried on. Needs to have a review and evaluation - 4

Garde - Hard to judge a man who does **** all, Non-emotional football management is not what we need now, that's why sherwood managed to keep us up. Looks like he hasn't a clue what to do, and read a few forums last week and went ok drop Sinclair/Richardson/Clark and pick Kozak/Traore in some way for game and the fans will respond favourably with me.

Thats the season over for me, I can't stand being in a bad mood every Saturday evening after watching more of that shit.  Will see what it's like in champioship.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Sunderland will be in the championship with us next season. They are truly an awful team. We will have the pulling power of AVFC and recruit good players while they will have to scour the lower leagues because nobody wants to live in the north east of England and play for a dire club like them.

It's arrogant comments like this that make other fans glad we are going down. Hopefully relegation will give us a big wake up call from randy lerner down to the fans.

We've not a devine right to be in the premiere league, we need to start scrapping to earn the right, & to change the whole attitude of the place.

• Like 1

Just now, RimmyJimmer said:

It's arrogant comments like this that make other fans glad we are going down. Hopefully relegation will give us a big wake up call from randy lerner down to the fans.

We've not a devine right to be in the premiere league, we need to start scrapping to earn the right, & to change the whole attitude of the place.

You mean players in their twenties making choices about their career don't care what we did over 30 years ago?

We are doomed half way through a season.....beyond appalling.

If this was in any of the other big cities particularly London.

Journalist's would be banging on the gates for a story....

Of why has the decline become so exaggerated? and so dramatic.

this is capitulation.

Never paid much attention to Derby their season of utter shambles so I can fairly say that I haven't seen a poorer side in the top flight all my life. Never imagined it would be us though. We're such a disgrace it's comical half the time and beyond depressing the other half. 

I honestly feel sorry for those that have made the journey up to Sunderland, I take my hat off to you!

I turned off when we went 2-1 down as knew that was it and any hope of survival had gone.

What happened at the end with handbags?

It's a sad day in the club's great history but we will be back and we will hopefully be in a better position. UTV!

Its all the more depressing when Norwich and Watford are both doing fine, they don't have top managers with previous prem experience either and no real household names. SOme of the blame has to go to the current manager for no wins in 9. Its too late to do anything about it now  but getting Garde in is definitely a failure for me.

I'm not even going to bother writing about the team. OBE summed it up perfectly for me anyway. 

So I'll just write, briefly, about the ref. I'll keep it very short:

F**K OFF, you smug tit!

That's all. Good night.

• Like 1

I think the manager picked the right team, set them up properly, made the right substitutions at the right times - and watched how bad we are with the rest of us.

We need a new Goalkeeper, a right back, a centre back, two central midfielders and two centre forwards. All of those players should be over six feet.

The back four is shambolic - Richards isn't good enough, he could play as a defensive midfielder, but he lacks the discipline for the back line - it gets absolutely no protection at all from a midfield resembling a pack of Ewoks - our midfield is powderpuff, the weakest in the top two divisions, we need three in the middle to even vaguely compete and the only one we've got with any strength is Sanchez who is woeful. Up front Gestede just isn't quick enough to play at the top level, he lacks aggression and quality with the ball, Kozak is a fourth choice handyman, Gabby is done and we don't have a lot else.

Of the current lot, I'd keep Veretout, Okore, Ayew and Amavi - all the rest can go.

Congrats to Sunderland - see you next season.

Good post. I don't blame Garde either, although I am so frustrated I want someone to blame.

Although unlikely, I'd keep Adama Traore too.

And Amavi, but luckily for us, he might be forced in to that because of injury.

We knew we were down beforehand bit this result was such a kick in the nuts. Sunderland are awful, and they played very badly today, gave the ball away a lot didn't really have much creativity or pace.

And yet they fought and got lucky and clung on and we did the rest.

Beer and curry time, I'm genuinely upset this evening by that.

Aston Villa boss Remi Garde told BBC Match of the Day: "I’m going to try [to sign players]. In life and football you have to believe – if you don’t you have no chance. But it’s more and more difficult. But every season in every league, a side can keep losing and suddenly win four, five or six in a row. But for that probably we will need to bring in one, two or three new players. "Today I didn’t see a side who didn’t give everything they could. When you concede so many goals it’s difficult to win games. You cannot be positive when you lose. I’m not here to lose – I’m here to try to make the team win. Today we were so close. We didn’t play badly. I can blame my players in certain situations – when you concede a goal, it’s always from a mistake. I see a team who wanted to fight. But we need some quality."

Was he at the game?

Can't really disagree too much with anything he said. It's not that they're not trying and we're not really playing too badly, but there are so many mindless individual errors and concentration lapses it is impossible to win games. 

• Like 1

Turns out the framed 6-1 scoreline Lambert had hanging on the wall was a pretty impressive accomplishment after all...

Garde said we needed to beat either Norwich or Sunderland to have a chance.

By the manager's own words, we're doomed now.

26 minutes ago, Villaninireland said:

A friend of mine went to the game & the team were jeered when they got on the team bus. They deserve that & a whole lot more. She also said the team didn't acknowledge the fans at the end of the game .

spoke to my mate who went and apparantly they were straight down the tunnel the gutless clearings in the woods. how many villa there today? pushing 3k and for what.

On the train home now, what a crap performance.

Bacuna and Veretout played well today, Gil was good in flashes too. Gana was solid enough. Everyone else can hang their heads in shame.

On balance of play we did not deserve to lose 3-1. Sunderland are almost as bad as we are. Based on our farcical defending though, we deserved to concede in double figures. Guzan getting beaten at his near post again. Lescott giving Defoe all the time in the world. Richards is not good enough at organising the defence. Cissokho seemed way off the pace so the Wycombe game comes at a good time for him to get used to playing again.

No incisiveness up top, we missed Ayew for sure but don't know if him playing would have changed much. Grealish was poor.

I may be in the minority based on this thread but I wasn't impressed with Adama today. Slowed the play down far too often when we were counter attacking, to standing still. All of his crosses were over hit (including the goal, which I'll come to later). As soon as he had been booked (shocking decision, ref and assistants were a joke today) he seemed to lose interest and sulked. Before he went off he wasn't even chasing passes that weren't directly in to feet.

Gestede needs someone up with him (Ayew) IMO, tries hard but their centre backs were never really troubled by him.

And in the middle of it all, despite how crap we were, Carles Gil pulled the goal of the season out of nowhere, unfortunately it will be forgotten as this was the game which left us 7 points adrift of 19th. On today's showing we will struggle in the Championship.

Thoroughly depressing.

• Like 2