Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

If you have two proper sitting midfielders then it's not incumbent on the wingers to track back every time. 

Given the sort of players we have, it's much more important to get those signings right than to sign someone who is expected to run up and down endlessly, whilst leaving talent like grealish ayew and traore on the bench.  

• Like 1

If we just get two very good starting central midfielders that would be enough for me if we keep Ayew. We're so incredibly weak in that area. Tshibola and two new midfielders with Westwood and Gardner would be a very strong midfield (I assume Veretout is leaving?).

In an ideal world I'd also want another striker, right back and central defender.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I agree 4231 with say Jedinak and Tschibola as the 2 would be my preference. Even so I'm worried about the 2 wider players in the 3, I would like a better option right than Bacuna and I'm concerned that Ayew/Grealish on the left leaves the LB exposed. Personally I would go

(Jedinak)  Tschibola

(New RM)    McCormack    Amavi

Ayew/Gestede

Still not ideal

So 4-4-2 then? That's what it sounds like even though you wrote it down in a different manner. 

Nothing wrong with that IMO, though I do worry who you are putting at left back. 

31 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

If you have two proper sitting midfielders then it's not incumbent on the wingers to track back every time. 

Given the sort of players we have, it's much more important to get those signings right than to sign someone who is expected to run up and down endlessly, whilst leaving talent like grealish ayew and traore on the bench.  

I've no issue with players getting "up and down endlessly" myself although that industry clearly needs to be allied to some quality. 

Even with two top class midfielders you're asking for trouble to play four players up front who are not expected to track back

I'd like to think Ayew starts in most set-ups but depending on the opposition I would have no problem with Grealish and Traore on the bench

Seems to be more and More in the Media (and Twatter) linkingm us to Morrison could be a absoulte peach of a sigining if we can get him and another (Jedinak) in the middle of the park i will be very happy

Oh and a right back too :)

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So 4-4-2 then? That's what it sounds like even though you wrote it down in a different manner. 

Nothing wrong with that IMO, though I do worry who you are putting at left back. 

Personally I would try Amavi in front of Cissoko.  If we signed another striker I would try Ayew in front of Amavi down that side but would worry that we would be exposed defensviely

At lot would depend on the CM 2. Westwood and Gardner would need help.  Jedinak and Tschibola would cope better

Personally I would sign a RM before a RB.  I'm no fan of Hutton but playing Bacuna in front of him is asking for trouble

50 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Said this loads of times but we should sign Will Hughes to replace Westwood. Hughes is better on the ball and can dictate the tempo of games better.

Sad to say, but why would he leave them to come to us atm?

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

Money?  And better team, better club, better support, better owner, better ground, better manager, AVFC is just better, of course.

Wonder if you took asked a championship neutral whether they would agree?

• Like 2

Was talking to my Palace season ticket supporting mate today about Jedinak. He said his passing is laughably poor at times but he makes up for it with the other things he brings to the team like leadership and general midfield presence and solidity. Felt that Palace had moved beyond him and he was never really a PL player, very much suited to the Championship was his words. 

For me he's a good fit for our needs but after that chat I get the impression the guy who posted the stats comparing his passing to Sanchez was spot on and he'll end up frustrating a lot on here. 

Though still not sure anybody other than a talk sport journal has actually made this link. 

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Money?  And better team, better club, better support, better owner, better ground, better manager, AVFC is just better, of course.

Yep, as crap as we have been over the last few years i think we do ourselves an injustice to sugest players like Will Hughes would rather play for Derby County.

Taking Newcastle out the equation, there would be very few players in this division that wouldn't jump at the chance to play for us. 

And thats why i hoped we would show a bit of arrogance this season and hoover up all divisions promising young players, and Will Hughes would certainly fit into that category.

Because we have Westwood, Gardner, Moreno and Tshibola already who can play the holding role, and we're trying to trim the squad. That and that if we're going to be playing with two holding midfielders then the tendancy in that formation is to have them be more than just out and out defensive players. I think us going for Diame is a bigger indication as to who we might go for next in midfield. Also I don't think we've actually been linked with Jedinak save for him being on people's wish lists on here and other social media.

24 minutes ago, useless said:

Because we have Westwood, Gardner, Moreno and Tshibola already who can play the holding role, and we're trying to trim the squad. That and that if we're going to be playing with two holding midfielders then the tendancy in that formation is to have them be more than just out and out defensive players. I think us going for Diame is a bigger indication as to who we might go for next in midfield. Also I don't think we've actually been linked with Jedinak save for him being on people's wish lists on here and other social media.

Moreno?!