Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Add in to the mix Kevin Bond he has coached him before and clearly feels he can to some extent control/get the best out of him. I also feel it's a risk worth taking if it pays off he will play a big part in getting us promoted, if it doesn't he's another for the scrap heap and let's face it we've had plenty of those over the years. Don't imagine he'd be on huge money either.

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I remember people saying similar things about Richards and his time in Italy. 

We need people we can rely on and have great attitudes - more people like Elphick, for example. 

I share your reservations. But then I've always been attracted to us having these 'mercurial' talent types. Getting this guy motivated and on form could give us one of the best players in the division and someone who can perform at a higher level. But it is a big IF.

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I remember people saying similar things about Richards and his time in Italy. 

We need people we can rely on and have great attitudes - more people like Elphick, for example. 

You're probably right, but I can't ignore the allure of that kind of talent. The kind of talent that Rio Ferdinand said Pogba would look up to in training.

With enough good sorts around him, we may just see something special at the Villa.

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Always thought of him as a bit of an Nzogbia.  

Apparently baggie fans really rate him and although pulis kept them up, where unhappy he was dropped. Go back even further and Sunderland fans couldn't believe Di canio sold him. 

Whilst strengthening defence would be useful, for me it's not a key priority - Hutton, Richards, Elphick, Okore, Baker, Amavi, Bennett, Cissoko, Lyden, Toner, Calder, Bacuna as a group are as good/better than any team in the Championship and should really have enough to see us through the season. It's very likely that we may bring McNair in too, to add even further depth

We also have a set of forwards available as good as any championship team McCormack, Ayew, Gestede and Kozak are as good as any team has got and the addition of say Hernandez would give us real depth.

Our real problems are in midfield - on the face of it already we have sufficient numbers and despite of the many criticisms sufficient quality.  Whilst not world-beaters by any means Westwood and Gardner are easily championship-class and Veretout (if he stays), Ayew, Grealish and Traore should really look a class above   Add in Green, Bacuna, Tschibola and maybe Richards and Bennett and again we have quality and depth BUT my huge worry is that we do not have the correct mix.

Ayew, Traore and Grealish don't work enough without the ball and so for me we can only play max one of them in MF at any one time. I'm not sure that the addition of say Morrison really helps this situation - for me we are adding yet another luxury player who won't do a job without the ball.

My priorities would be

1. A right-sided midfielder who offers something at both ends of the pitch....someone like Bacuna only good (this would make Hutton look lots better)

2. A dominant holding midfielder - Jedinak would be ideal

Another forward (Hernandez) and a CB (McNair) would be nice but not essential

This would still leave us a problem on the left with Amavi and Ayew/Grealish good going forward and weak defensively. Personally if neither can be persuaded to put a shift in then I'd try Amavi in front of Cissoko/Bennett

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Whilst strengthening defence would be useful, for me it's not a key priority - Hutton, Richards, Elphick, Okore, Baker, Amavi, Bennett, Cissoko, Lyden, Toner, Calder, Bacuna as a group are as good/better than any team in the Championship and should really have enough to see us through the season. It's very likely that we may bring McNair in too, to add even further depth

We also have a set of forwards available as good as any championship team McCormack, Ayew, Gestede and Kozak are as good as any team has got and the addition of say Hernandez would give us real depth.

Our real problems are in midfield - on the face of it already we have sufficient numbers and despite of the many criticisms sufficient quality.  Whilst not world-beaters by any means Westwood and Gardner are easily championship-class and Veretout (if he stays), Ayew, Grealish and Traore should really look a class above   Add in Green, Bacuna, Tschibola and maybe Richards and Bennett and again we have quality and depth BUT my huge worry is that we do not have the correct mix.

Ayew, Traore and Grealish don't work enough without the ball and so for me we can only play max one of them in MF at any one time. I'm not sure that the addition of say Morrison really helps this situation - for me we are adding yet another luxury player who won't do a job without the ball.

My priorities would be

1. A right-sided midfielder who offers something at both ends of the pitch....someone like Bacuna only good (this would make Hutton look lots better)

This would still leave us a problem on the left with Amavi and Ayew/Grealish good going forward and weak defensively. Personally if neither can be persuaded to put a shift in then I'd try Amavi in front of Cissoko/Bennett

I like your reference to us "without the ball", because I think we have real issues there and I would be inclined to agree it is relevant to the " The Mix"

Edited by TRO

As it stands now we have 2 squad player level midfielders (Westy & Gardner) and 1 promising youngster (Tish) as our CM options. Add to that Veretout & Sanchez who neither of them will probably be here when the season starts.

That is woeful for a team who is hopefully aiming for promotion and has a wealthy new owner.

2 new quality CM's are needed asap good enough that we can afford to have the likes of Grealish, Adama or Green on the pitch without being torn apart in midfield.

Di Matteo can add all the forwards he want's to, but unless he first fixes the midfield it will be for naught.

As for tactics it takes very dynamic CM's to play in a 2 man midfield. Especially when playing with a forward at LW and 2 less than competent wide backs leaving huge gaps behind them.

Really hope Di Matteo isn't banking our season on the current crop of midfielders being good enough to carry us through the season, because they won't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

My priorities would be

See here is the thing. You say Morrison won't do enough without the ball. Well for 5 years now we haven't been able to do anything with the ball. We can get ball. We aren't good enough on it. 

51 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

See here is the thing. You say Morrison won't do enough without the ball. Well for 5 years now we haven't been able to do anything with the ball. We can get ball. We aren't good enough on it. 

Yes of course we need creativity but defensive/pressing attributes are just as important. To be honest, I dont agree that have no problem getting the ball, I think we struggle both getting and then doing something with the ball. Part of the problem is that when we 'get' the ball it is not in the dangerous transition zones it is along the back four or in deep midfield. We don't win anything like enough ball in the middle of the pitch and the final third 

I'm not against Morrison per se (although clearly he would be a very high risk player coming into a very unsettled set-up) but he is not the answer to our prayers. All recruiting Morrison would do would add another option on top of Grealish, Ayew and Traore, with four players vieing for one position instead of the current three.

To reiterate my priorities are a right-sided midfielder who offers something at both ends of the pitch and a dominant holding midfielder. Are you of the opinion that Morrison would be a more essential recruit than those?

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Yes of course we need creativity but defensive/pressing attributes are just as important. To be honest, I dont agree that have no problem getting the ball, I think we struggle both getting and then doing something with the ball. Part of the problem is that when we 'get' the ball it is not in the dangerous transition zones it is along the back four or in deep midfield. We don't win anything like enough ball in the middle of the pitch and the final third 

I'm not against Morrison per se (although clearly he would be a very high risk player coming into a very unsettled set-up) but he is not the answer to our prayers. All recruiting Morrison would do would add another option on top of Grealish, Ayew and Traore, with four players vieing for one position instead of the current three.

To reiterate my priorities are a right-sided midfielder who offers something at both ends of the pitch and a dominant holding midfielder. Are you of the opinion that Morrison would be a more essential recruit than those?

I think we are fine at RM. Andre Green will be good enough. IMO he is our most talented in that position, i include traore. We can't get bogged down by how young he is. The other crowd put demari gray in. Good enough, old enough. Green is plenty good enough. I don't like the term holding midfielder to be honest. Too vague. Someone who can tackle, anticipate and break up play, technically very very good and not just sit for the sake of it, get forward when the opportunity arises. No good just holding if you can't do all the above. Then you'd have a luxury player. If we could bring Jedinak and Morrison in I'd be happy with it and a replacement for Hutton.

Getting a mobile CF is paramount. McCormack looks very lively but going off of yesterday he plays a bit deeper. Gestede should be plan B at best as he doesn't move if we had a CF who ran the channels yesterday we'd have had a better chance. Hernandez looks like that sort of player. Hopefully Amavi will play Wednesday and that'll sort the left side of defence but we need a new RB Hutton always gets plenty of the ball but never creates. Then we need to sort CM Gardner and Westwood are too similar we need more energy in there.