Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

That guy on Twitter seems absolutely certain that Elphick is signing for us. He's telling people to remember the tweet and come back to him once it's happened. It would seem odd for him to go all-out on that rumour, if he hadn't heard or been told something.

Either way, I don't know anything about him.

He's the Bournemouth captain, or at least he was up until October of last year, when he got injured for a few months, he still might be. Either way suggests that he's been quite an important player for them.

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

That guy on Twitter seems absolutely certain that Elphick is signing for us. He's telling people to remember the tweet and come back to him once it's happened. It would seem odd for him to go all-out on that rumour, if he hadn't heard or been told something.

Either way, I don't know anything about him.

Even if he turns out to be right it's not the greatest claim to fame, is it :)

Sure he'll be telling his grand kids the tale of when he told people on twitter that some guy from Bournemouth that no one (me) ever heard of might be joining Villa.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

I don't think we can afford to keep Guzan. His confidence is completely shot and he had more than a hand in a number of the goals that we conceded last season. 

Confidence can turn around pretty quickly with the right manager in charge. If that was Allardyce I'd have money on Guzan returning to his best by mid season along with many of our other players. I really don't see RDM having the same kind of influence on our current underperforming players which is why the managerial appointment was so crucial.

20 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Confidence can turn around pretty quickly with the right manager in charge. If that was Allardyce I'd have money on Guzan returning to his best by mid season along with many of our other players. I really don't see RDM having the same kind of influence on our current underperforming players which is why the managerial appointment was so crucial.

At this point I don't think confidence has anything to do with it. He looks shot to bits.

He looks 40 if he is a day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Guzan has been on a decline for 2 years. Sherwood dropped him and should've replaced him last summer not doing so was a major factor for me in our demise. His decision making and distribution is awful the only thing that's been affected by his confidence is he used to be able to pull off good saves now they seem to go through him a lot. We need a new GK as a priority.  

• Like 3

Let's not forget that Guzan seldom performed above mediocrity even before he completely fell off the cliff after that Man City gaffe. The 2012/13 season shouldn't be treated as the rule, he just isn't very good.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Guzan has been on a decline for 2 years. Sherwood dropped him and should've replaced him last summer not doing so was a major factor for me in our demise. His decision making and distribution is awful the only thing that's been affected by his confidence is he used to be able to pull off good saves now they seem to go through him a lot. We need a new GK as a priority.  

Actually Guzan was decent until Sherwood dropped him ruining his confidence which began the demise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Actually Guzan was decent until Sherwood dropped him ruining his confidence which began the demise.

The fact Sherwood dropped him would tend to indicate the demise in form had already started.

Just now, dn1982 said:

Sorry he wasn't. Why do you think Sherwood dropped him? For a laugh? We need a new keeper and I think the majority will agree on that. 

I don't recall anybody calling for him to be sold as a priority before Sherwood was appointed.

Sherwood dropped him for the same reason he never played Gil or Kozak. Because he never fancied him as a player.

10 minutes ago, Isa said:

Let's not forget that Guzan seldom performed above mediocrity even before he completely fell off the cliff after that Man City gaffe. The 2012/13 season shouldn't be treated as the rule, he just isn't very good.

He's good.

I think he's good enough for the Prem.

BUT

his confidence is his problem, and it's completely gone. He won't get it back at Villa. He MIGHT get it back elsewhere.

He needs to go. I like the guy, and wish it ended better, but he should not be our goalkeeper anymore.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Totally wrong, he has regressed as a footballer significantly, his reflexes have slowed and he is not making the right decisions at all. He is diabolical and was the worst keeper in the league last season. 

Has to go. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Isa said:

The question marks over Guzan and the debate over whether we needed a new number one had begun months before his dropping by Sherwood.

There were no more question marks over Guzan than any other player in the squad.

He was lacking confidence. Sherwood dropped him when he should have backed him and it's ruined him.

Confidence can be built back up. I haven't watched Villa since Eric Black took over but he looked in reasonable condition physically mid season. I don't see why he can't turn it around.

Edited by Michael118