Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Some very good shouts from Ferguson1 at the foot of the last page. Bentley, Rico Henry, Tom Carroll, Zach Clough and Patrick Bamford would be a good start for me. I hope RDM has a list that includes several of those mentioned. 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I know we are in the championship and we can't go for proper quality players any more.. but we do need to be careful not to fill it with championship level players.. we need to find some proper gems overseas too. I hope Xia sorts the scouting out.. not sure how he will but I hope he does.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

I don't get the hype around Bamford and hope he doesn't come near this club

Speaking hypothetically, I would rather see Patrick Bamford coming off our bench during a game next season than say Callum Robinson.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KSV said:

I know we are in the championship and we can't go for proper quality players any more.. but we do need to be careful not to fill it with championship level players.. we need to find some proper gems overseas too. I hope Xia sorts the scouting out.. not sure how he will but I hope he does.

Problem is our current squad is filled with championship quality players!  I agree that gems overseas can be found with good scouting etc, but to get out of the championship I would rather put my faith in 4/5/6 of the names I suggested on the previous page.   Sometimes the risks of getting players from abroad and hoping they hit the ground running just aren't worth it.  Last season being an example. 

Rangers looking at Daniel Bentley apparently. On a "free" from Southend.

Is he good enough to go for? Havn't seen him play but been mentioned a few times on here.

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Speaking hypothetically, I would rather see Patrick Bamford coming off our bench during a game next season than say Callum Robinson.

Why? He was bang average in the championship in a full season. Calum is from our own academy, would be on less wages with no loan fee, we'd keep him after the season finished for free, and he's proven an effective sub off the bench.

I get Bamford is a better option than some other players out there, but I'd rather not get anyone worse than Bamford AND not get Bamford too. I would rather have Bamford than Gabby, but I'd rather have neither. 

41 minutes ago, sne said:

Is he good enough to go for? Havn't seen him play but been mentioned a few times on here.

He's supposed to be good, Everton were linked with him last season. Can't be worse than the current set of tits we have keeping the sticks for us, sign him up, we should be able to offer him more than Rangers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Why? He was bang average in the championship in a full season. Calum is from our own academy, would be on less wages with no loan fee, we'd keep him after the season finished for free, and he's proven an effective sub off the bench.

I get Bamford is a better option than some other players out there, but I'd rather not get anyone worse than Bamford AND not get Bamford too. I would rather have Bamford than Gabby, but I'd rather have neither. 

I might be misreading this but are you saying Bamford was average in his last full season in the Championship? Because I don't consider 17 goals for Boro 'bang average'. 

I'd definitely take a punt on Bamford. In his last season at that level he was voted player of the season. He knows how to perform at Championship level. He's also still young, so might actually benefit from, for example, having a good season with us in the Championship and then playing for us in the premier league. Perhaps the discontinuity he has had has affected his performances of late. 

His stock can't be that high right now so surely we could snap him up for no more than £7m and probably a couple of million less than that.

17 goals for Boro wasn't too bad for Bamford he defiantly has talent at Championship level

43 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I might be misreading this but are you saying Bamford was average in his last full season in the Championship? Because I don't consider 17 goals for Boro 'bang average'. 

I'd definitely take a punt on Bamford. In his last season at that level he was voted player of the season. He knows how to perform at Championship level. He's also still young, so might actually benefit from, for example, having a good season with us in the Championship and then playing for us in the premier league. Perhaps the discontinuity he has had has affected his performances of late. 

His stock can't be that high right now so surely we could snap him up for no more than £7m and probably a couple of million less than that.

Okay I'm probably being quite harsh saying he was average, but he certainly did not deserve to get player of the season. His 17 goals he got was 3 less than Gestede scored for Blackburn, and 10 less than Daryl Murphy scored for Ipswich (who I understand is old and hasn't done as well this year) of those we already have and the other I doubt anyone here would consider signing. I just remember a lot of friends with teams in the championship saying how baffled they were that he won player of the season 

He could flourish back in the championship but I can imagine him demanding high wages and Chelsea wanting a big fee for him and I can't help but feel there are better options out there. 

4 hours ago, sne said:

he is very good i have seen him play a number of times!! Best keeper in the lower leagues and much better than say when Joe Hart was plying his trade there. On a bosman it's no brainier

His shot stopping is excellent

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

he is very good i have seen him play a number of times!! Best keeper in the lower leagues and much better than say when Joe Hart was plying his trade there. On a bosman it's no brainier

His shot stopping is excellent

Joe Hart was 17. Strange comparison.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Joe Hart was 17. Strange comparison.

He still made 54 appearances and made his debut at 17 but was there until he was 20!! How is it strange exactly? He wasn't anything special in the lower league's whereabouts Bentley is 22 and also made his debut at 17!! The reason he hasn't moved earlier is Southend have turned down £1mil and £1.5mil bids from Championship Teams but is out of contract in summer.

Edited by Villan4Life

Hart joined City in 2006 when he was just gone 19 for about 1.5 million and City were far from oil rich at that time either(he was 2nd most expensive transfer they made that season :lol:). Bentley is 22 now and hasnt made a move would suggest comparisons are way off