The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Just now, Mantis said:

I'm hoping he's trying to force their hand. Garde knows the fans are on his side and that the anger directed at them will only increase if he leaves. Maybe this is his way of trying to get the board to back him in the summer?

I hope that's the case. I'm fearful it isn't though. He'll want his pay off, and may be consulting his lawyers about constructive dismissal. Until then, he'll remain manager, and not discuss his future in the press.

Just now, YLN said:

I hope that's the case. I'm fearful it isn't though. He'll want his pay off, and may be consulting his lawyers about constructive dismissal. Until then, he'll remain manager, and not discuss his future in the press.

We'll have to wait and see but I wouldn't discount the possibility - it's a pretty good tactic to be fair. The board must realise by now that even if Garde leaves on his own accord they're going to be in a state of outright conflict with the fans and that doesn't do them any good at all.

1 minute ago, YLN said:

Or he'll speak to his friends at French TV about his old job back and Jack it in and pursue compensation in parallel.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not much, he just seemed pissed off and walked off towards the end.

The journalist was just going to ask him the same question for the third time, so rather than say the same thing again, he saved himself the bother and walked away.

Just now, Mantis said:

I'm hoping he's trying to force their hand. Garde knows the fans are on his side and that the anger directed at them will only increase if he leaves. Maybe this is his way of trying to get the board to back him in the summer?

But why would he want to be fighting constant battles with them? Playing games. It's tiring, particularly when managing a football team is stressful enough. This is the problem, any manager who comes in doesn't just have the challenge of getting results, they have to fight a constant battle with a board who are pulling in the opposite direction. It's something you don't need because ultimately it's impossible to achieve anything under a board that won't cooperate with you.

Not sure if we are just reading him wrong tonight? He has just watched his players give everything and we just couldn't hold on.  I would be pissed off if I was him.  If he is still here on Saturday he needs every fan chanting his name!

• Like 1

Just now, YLN said:

The journalist was just going to ask him the same question for the third time, so rather than say the same thing again, he saved himself the bother and walked away.

Indeed. He was clearly irritated by the questions.

It's a running theme, most of his press conferences, which are specifically for the upcoming game, are filled with questions about the club and transfers.

I think it was the same after the game. He was happy to answer questions about the game, but Stubbs (was it Stubbs) was just askign him over and over about relegation and looking for a headline.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

The board must realise by now that even if Garde leaves on his own accord they're going to be in a state of outright conflict with the fans and that doesn't do them any good at all.

But they're already in close enough to outright conflict with the fans. It can't really get much worse. And they don't give a shit. Doesn't affect them at all.

I think he's gone.  The board have let him/us down YET AGAIN.  He seemed very optimistic about bringing players in before the transfer window but it seems the rug has been pulled from beneath him and he's (rightly) not taking it too well.

The tone of that interview would suggest to me that he's about to walk.  Just nothing going for us at all.  I don't remember a Premier League team in such a mess.  I feel sick

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nobler said:

But why would he want to be fighting constant battles with them? Playing games. It's tiring, particularly when managing a football team is stressful enough. This is the problem, any manager who comes in doesn't just have the challenge of getting results, they have to fight a constant battle with a board who are pulling in the opposite direction. It's something you don't need because ultimately it's impossible to achieve anything under a board that won't cooperate with you.

He won't, but maybe he genuinely thinks he can do a good job with us. Also, there's every possibility that we might get bought once we're in the Championship.

I just read this on the BBC  website, I didn't hear it so don't know how it came across but for me, the last sentence says it all really. 

I think he could have been the best manager we'd had for years, I'd be gutted if he walked but wouldn't blame him at all.

Remi Garde speaking to BT Sport: "I didn't speak yet with Jordan Ayew. It will stay private. 

"It was too big a mountain for 10 men. We were denied a penalty. I'm sorry for the referee but it was a clear penalty. 

"We started well. Then after that this penalty and this stupid red card, the game was over. 

"The first goal, I'm not sure it wasn't offside. I feel very sorry for the guys to be beaten after the bravery they showed."

Asked about his future, he said: "I'm not speaking about that. It is not the time."

Â