The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Garde was expecting to get some new players in, but equally I think the Board were expecting him to bring us closer to our rivals. Hence the lack of signings. And I suspect Garde knows this.The summer window is better value for money, and I think he will be backed then. He needs time to get his ideas across, and I am hopeful that he can do that during the remainder of the season to convince the Board to back him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Garde was expecting to get some new players in, but equally I think the Board were expecting him to bring us closer to our rivals. Hence the lack of signings. And I suspect Garde knows this.The summer window is better value for money, and I think he will be backed then. He needs time to get his ideas across, and I am hopeful that he can do that during the remainder of the season to convince the Board to back him.

This is actually a very balanced and sensible view now I think about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

The problem is that with relegation all the best laid plans will change.

Playersleaving.etc

Things might change, as you say, but at this moment in time I would say that most, if not all, of the players we would want to keep will remain.

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Things might change, as you say, but at this moment in time I would say that most, if not all, of the players we would want to keep will remain.

This. Not all, I don't think.

But I don't think it'll be a mass exodus like some people have been suggesting for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the squad staying here next season UNLESS we actively try to offload them.

If the club takes the approach that we want to get back into the Premier League in one season, then I think we'll hang on to a lot of players.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I agree,  as I previously said the 1 point gained from Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich was a massive disappointment and was the end of it all

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This. Not all, I don't think.

But I don't think it'll be a mass exodus like some people have been suggesting for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the squad staying here next season UNLESS we actively try to offload them.

If the club takes the approach that we want to get back into the Premier League in one season, then I think we'll hang on to a lot of players.

Guzan, Hutton, Richardson, Richards, Lescott, Nzogbia, Agbonlahor, Kozak are dead certs to leave for me. Possibly Sanchez and Adama too

Edited by KHV

Just now, KHV said:

Guzan, Hutton, Richardson, Richards, Lescott, Nzogbia, Agbonlahor, Kozak are dead certs to leave for me. Possibly Sanchez too

Apologies, I don't disagree, I meant most of the squad that we want to stay.

Of the ones you've listed I'd say only Richards would be someone we might be actively trying to keep.

If we managed to hold onto everyone apart from those listed I'd be pleased (although we'd obviously have to replace those guys with others)

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Apologies, I don't disagree, I meant most of the squad that we want to stay.

Of the ones you've listed I'd say only Richards would be someone we might be actively trying to keep.

If we managed to hold onto everyone apart from those listed I'd be pleased (although we'd obviously have to replace those guys with others)

I wonder what we will do with the returning loan players

8 minutes ago, KHV said:

Guzan, Hutton, Richardson, Richards, Lescott, Nzogbia, Agbonlahor, Kozak are dead certs to leave for me. Possibly Sanchez too

Not many of those listed will be missed though. They have all been amongst the poorer performers in our squad and biggest disappointments this season. They were the players meant to give a stability and experience to the squad, and all have failed in my opinion. None of those players are the future for us, so i wouldn't be too disappointed if they left.

• Like 1

If we had of went all out and brought in a quality striker in the first week of the window we would of had a great chance to of won our last 2 games and be 6 points from safety with 16 games to go. There's no excuse for the nobs running the club to of not helped the manager out and done everything to give us the best chance possible of staying up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Not many of those listed will be missed though. They have all been amongst the poorer performers in our squad and biggest disappointments this season. They were the players meant to give a stability and experience to the squad, and all have failed in my opinion. None of those players are the future for us, so i wouldn't be too disappointed if they left.

The only problem I see is that again it's a large turnover of players, the large numbers I think was a problem last summer

33 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A board shouldn't need convincing to back a manager they hand picked and sacked another manager for. It's like having the audition after the actual role. He has clearly balanced out the team more and improved it, as much as the current squad can be improved imo. Whatever way we try and defend the damage, the club not signing a single player in this transfer window is absolutely diabolical and a shameful action towards the manager and every Villa fan.

I don't think anyone expected big money signings, but for there not to be an option on loan or a lower fee signing out there for Villa is completely non believable and would be disgraceful for the club to try and push that excuse.

Edited by Trickster
  • Like 1

The transfer window,  ANY transfer window is about strengthening the squad of players.  By god our squad needs strengthening be it for this season or next season.  They have failed to strengthen the squad,  regardless of our position which is a false narrative (see Leicester 14/15 and other teams who have bought while being in the bottom three notably west brom in 04/05 in exactly the same position as us but still bought two players).  They have given excuses which some fans seem to have bought ,  but quite simply they have failed in arguably their number 1 priority.  It is unforgivable and actually inexcusable 

Edited by Richard
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, KHV said:

The only problem I see is that again it's a large turnover of players, the large numbers I think was a problem last summer

Partly true, but I highly doubt all of them would leave the club this summer. I reckon Hutton and Gabby will still be here next season as they are both under contract and I can't see too many takers for them on their salaries at their ages.

Sometimes though, you just have to acknowledge that the defence is a terrible unit with lots of mis-matched cogs that don't fit or work together, put together by a man who had no idea about building a solid team. Replacing the defence, and bringing a new unit together should be easier to implement in the Championship, as the PL is a very punishing league when it comes to mistakes and learning on the job. So what I am basically getting at, is the defence is sooo bad, ripping it up and starting again isn't necessarily a bad idea.

In my opinion, a lot of our problems can be improved by adding a new GK, new RB and new CB. Add a goalscorer into the mix as well and we will be ok. So four essential signings that we need to get right.

Edited by NeilS

They have failed.

Why have they failed?

Is it because players wouldn't come?

Is it because they didn't try hard enough (or at all) to buy anyone?

It was clearly a difficult sell.

Do you strengthen this season in an attempt to stay up?

January brings its own problems re- value for money.

In that situation you're trying to sign Premier League quality players.  They may very well say no thanks.

Loan signings are clearly the way to go.  We get who we want.  The player has a get out of jail free card.

Or do you strengthen for next season in an attempt to come back up?

Now you've publically conceded this season; given up.  The fans will rightly slaughter you.

Will the better championship players even join, knowing they're back in the Championship next season?

So now you're looking at Championship standard players who are happy to be back there next season i.e. 2nd tier Championship, non-aspirational players.

Or foreign players looking for a quick buck who aren't wanted by the Premier League sides.

None of the above is me trying to defend what has happened.  If anything I'm trying to put 'on paper' the position the club would have found themselves in.  We'll only know in hindsight just how bad this window was.  I don't think it would have been the difference between going down and staying up.  I think that ship has sailed and been torpedoed.  With that in mind would it have gotten us overpaid players given that it's the only scenario they'd join us under?  I dunno.

Whatever the right answer, it has to be better and more forward-thinking than what has happened.

I'm getting a bad feeling about all of this, and I mean bad in comparison to the bad feelings we've been getting in the past 5 years.  This could be the beginning of us leaving the Premier League for a pretty long time.  As others have said already, we could be looking back at this in years to come as the good old days if it continues to go along these lines.

24 minutes ago, KHV said:

I think the number of players issue was massively overplayed

Some poor choices and underinvestment coupled with a crap manager has done for us

Traore is decent but not ready and Gestede was a poor choice. £14m wasted

a GK (£6m), CB or DM (£10m) and Striker (£12m) = an additional £14m net spend

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

The transfer window,  ANY transfer window is about strengthening the squad of players.  By god our squad needs strengthening be it for this season or next season.  They have failed to strengthen the squad,  regardless of our position which is a false narrative (see Leicester 14/15 and other teams who have bought while being in the bottom three notably west brom in 04/05 in exactly the same position as us but still bought two players).  They have given excuses which some fans seem to have bought ,  but quite simply they have failed in arguably their number 1 priority.  It is unforgivable and actually inexcusable 

On top of all that, there's the simple matter of entertainment value. Where's the fun now, you know?

• Like 1

Â