The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Khazri apparently wanted to join; board didn't finance the move.

Garde's been treated disgracefully. Hollis with his lies about us doing our 'absolute best' in the second half of the season. 

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I wish I was as sure as you are.

to quote messi and Ronaldo is hyperbole of the highest order.....that's not an arena we will ever be in......ever.

To build a football team, they don't have to be star names, but they need to blend and be able to do the basics and have some form of method.

Bournemouth have illustrated how it can be done and so have Watford.

Those clubs have signed players our fan base would laugh at in a derogatory fashion, but their management teams have integrated them.

Over the years......We have been paying over the odds in terms of fee's and wages for players we gave not managed to get any value from and as opposed to a team we have just made a patch work quilt of individuals who are only interested in using villa as a stepping stone.....the irony is in most cases they are not even good enough to play for us never mind the upper half.

signing the wrong players for me has been more of an issue than not spending enough money.

If anyone thinks the summer was a good window for us.....I'll be 

damned.

ps what Bournemouth and Watford have done is nothing new.....we have done it in the past.....before Randy's so called money......we had to.

My point about Messi was just that Garde is no fool, that wouldn't have been his targets, he will have known what would be reasonable.  So when you question whether the targets were achievable, I don't know why.

I don't actually agree that Bournemouth and Watford have 'done' anything.  Lets give it a year or two and see where they are ?  And anyway, Watford have spent huge sums on wages for a few years now.

I 100% agree with the need for blend, method, and basics, and the lack of a need for stars. Totally agree.  They often don't even need ability. !  I still recall every Villa fan laughing when Cloughie signed Kenny Burns to partner Larry Lloyd. A joke.....some joke !! Burns was absolutely brilliant at doing what Cloughie wanted. But he signed Francis too, and that took breaking the transfer record..............

There is a reason we've been used as a stepping stone, the whole world can see Lerner will never invest to make us a Top Club.  Nothing can fix that. But we did get value from (most) of the ones who cost money.  And some of the others were not a million miles off making sense at the time - Beye for example was Newcastles player of the Year, Zog had been Wigans, etc. But ALL the successful Clubs Hit and Miss, our problem is every time we miss we go back to thinking its not about money !  When ol' Roman fails with a buy, he buys someone else, he doesn't bring in the youth. Of the costly players we've bought. there aren't that many that failed outright.  But we never added 5/6 quality (in its various meanings) players a year.

As for the summer window, I think it is exactly the window you can expect and be fairly comfortable with, IF you do it every year.  From that batch we have, what, Ayew and Amavi where we may have some real quality, Vertout possibly.  Hard t otell, because we do not do it every year...but I'll have a little guess that had we added those 3 and a decent CB and keeper to the Squad we finished last season with, we'd be doing ok.  Then we could have gradually integrated Traore and Grealish, and maybe they would have shone.  And the bit of experience in Lescott and Richards might then have been good back up.

So yes, a poor window, but not, to me, for the reasons you say.  And finally, if we go that route, the money can't buy you happiness route, we will be in a traffic jam with many many other Clubs, as a decent scouting system, a method, and a plan, are easy to come by.  A Club of our potential, and potential fanbase, should be trying to keep itself ahead of the pack, not in the pack, and that means doing all the basics and spending a lot of money, regularly.

19 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I think he had to say that, but I don't think he agrees with it, at least I hope he doesn't.

My lad stopped doing the lottery because he had played it a lot and still not won.  I tried to explain that's because to be sure of winning, the type of money he was spending, whilst a lot to him, was not enough to even get close to guarantees, and he'd need a lot of luck.

We've spent money, yes. I'm not interested in net spend, but real spend, and for the amount of seasons we've been here with Lerner it isn't a lot.  And a lot of it was a long time ago.  But we DID get results from that spending,....... we stayed up!!....., we stayed in the Top 17 sides, despite managerial upheavals and whatever the hell Hollis means when he talks about the "other things" that are so critical. But its big boys League, big boys rules, spending a lot is essential for any sort of medium term/long term progression, and the absence of progression is regression, and that's what we've had. You have to spend, then spend, then when you have spent enough, spend.

Or you have to be honest, tell the fans you are not interested in progression, and let them choose whether to watch.

And every single Club that has failed to invest heavily and regularly, ends up flirting with relegation.

Scouting would have helped. Fergie would have helped.  But only to the same degree me and the missus buying my lad some extra tickets would've helped.  Without big investment, you are absolutely asking to be in and around the bottom half, and stats are such that that means permanent relegation battles until you drop.

We never came close to spending the kind of money that would pull us away from there, and the only time we really invested, we got 6/6/6. 

How can anyone (not saying you are) suggest that the spending for Lambert was enough, or provided consistently enough ? One simple example - Bennet when Lambert wanted that Ipswich guy (begins with C( who now plays for West Ham. The Swansea midfielder...can't remember much with a fuzzled brain, but it was all make do and mend stuff.

The old chestnut of lack of Investment has been associated with Villa for Donkeys years.....as long as I can remember, even back to the Normansells.

We have managed in the past to get better players under Little /Atkinson/ Gregory /Taylor than we have in recent times.....they had to improvise and deal....but they got something out of the players.

For sure I want to join in and say that more money is the main problem, but l'm not sure it is.....we have spent money,but not to any avail.

• Like 1

If I was Remi I would quit now. It's only going to get worse and by leaving now, his future employers would only blame his failure on the people running our club. They don't deserve a decent man like him working for them.

It's time they all left. Tonight I feel like throwing in the towel until they leave. I'm loathed to spend any money at Villa while they vacuum it up. 

• Like 1

Sounds a lot like he was promised funds when he joined to entice him in. As soon as the ink dried on his signature the funds were taken away.

Disgraceful behaviour from a doomed board. Everyone should be ashamed except Remi, one of the only people able to leave with some credibility in tact.

If I were him I would cut my losses and get out now. This club is currently poisonous and will continue to be until Lerner sells up.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

IThe old chestnut of lack of Investment has been associated with Villa for Donkeys years.....as long as I can remember, even back to the Normansells.

We have managed in the past to get better players under Little /Atkinson/ Gregory /Taylor than we have in recent times.....they had to improvise and deal....but they got something out of the players.

For sure I want to join in and say that more money is the main problem, but l'm not sure it is.....we have spent money,but not to any avail.

My guess would be that since the end of the O'Neill era there's been some form of transfer committee making the decisions on signings. For example we didn't have a manager when Ireland joined and I'm not convinced Lambert got all the players he scouted himself. Then there's the N'Zogbia - would he have been a player McLeish expected to have when told he had a limited budget? He was told to cut costs but allowed to spend £10m and £70k on wages? A (terrible failure of a) marquee signing by the board to keep the fans happy if ever I saw one. The whole thing stinks and until Lerner sells up I see zero light at the end of the tunnel.

Garde will resign. I've no doubts about it. I remember his press conference when he joined and the reporters were practically laughing at him when he said he would be signing players. Now, after a window where we're bottom of the league, we do nothing. If he's got any thoughts of having a decent future he should resign and save himself from the shit ahead of them. 

Â