The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 hours ago, Barney_avfc said:

"I can understand that because in the last four or five years a lot of money has been spent without big results.

That line from Remi,for me, is a very significant point.

It kinda crystalises the frustration of all concerned with the club.

bit of a euphemism " big results"......I would have said......with out any results whatsoever.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I've never known the bottom club in the league fail to sign anyone before - just because of their league position.

We've failed because we probably didn't try hard enough at a boardroom level

or did we go after unrealistic targets.....these are the things we need to know, before targeting our vitriol.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But here's the thing for me TRO, and i've a feeling you might agree - Lambert bought something like 23 players for £47m; £47m is a lot of money - but if you're buying 23 players with it at this level, you're wasting it, you may as well burn it. Lambert had a small squad and a limited budget and was driven into a sort of crazy gambling - could he find a £3m player that would somehow come good. At this level, that just doesn't work - for £47m, you should be hoping to get five or six decent players or four that you can be pretty confident in. We needed a dozen and we couldn't do it properly. We let our squad get old, get broken up and carry no sell on value and then we found ourselves in a hole too deep for our pockets. Our reaction was the wrong one.

For me we showed signs of fixing that in the summer - we bought young players, all gambles of a sort, but from one shelf above where we'd been forcing Lambert to shop - for me, it was a sign of us starting to get it right

I agree with part of your post, but think that this summer was essentially just a carry on of the same thing, the same errors. Yes, some of the fees were a bit higher, but not much, and TV money has raised prices. I think the plan Lambert followed - buying low cost young players not familiar with the Prem is kind of what we did in the summer, mostly. Obviously Lambo bought the odd older player - Senderos, Sissoko - likewise with Lescott and Richards this summer.

It didn't work then, for the reasons you say, and it didn't work this summer, either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But here's the thing for me TRO, and i've a feeling you might agree - Lambert bought something like 23 players for £47m; £47m is a lot of money - but if you're buying 23 players with it at this level, you're wasting it, you may as well burn it. Lambert had a small squad and a limited budget and was driven into a sort of crazy gambling - could he find a £3m player that would somehow come good. At this level, that just doesn't work - for £47m, you should be hoping to get five or six decent players or four that you can be pretty confident in. We needed a dozen and we couldn't do it properly. We let our squad get old, get broken up and carry no sell on value and then we found ourselves in a hole too deep for our pockets. Our reaction was the wrong one.

For me we showed signs of fixing that in the summer - we bought young players, all gambles of a sort, but from one shelf above where we'd been forcing Lambert to shop - for me, it was a sign of us starting to get it right - it's why I'm so disappointed that on the basis of six months results, it's the baby we're throwing out with the bathwater. Hollis has us going back to playing the Lambert lottery and worse - he doesn't seem too inclined to buy tickets and we've got a manager too sensible to fritter money away on rubbish.

Bad plans wasted that money. I think we bought good players in the summer - the results have been crap, but we were always likely to find ourselves in trouble sooner or later, we'd got too far behind - the only way out is to carry on doing the right type of spending - we've brought in a chairman who is about to do just the opposite - and I suspect we'll lose a promising young manager as a result.

Our summer window was at least 12 months too early, we needed to build a solid team first and stabilise our slide. The signings from the summer would have been very good if we were a settled team, but we aren't and we won't get the chance for them to push us forwards.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I really get the love-in for Garde. Ultimately Lerner is to blame for what has happened to the club, but Garde has contributed to the situation.

People are saying that Garde hasn't been backed and has been hung out to dry, and while there may indeed be an element of that, I doubt that earlier discussions with Garde about what would be available for transfers in January would have been in the context of the club being 10 points adrift. He just hasn't had the desired impact in terms of points on the board, and that may have left the board wondering if they have got a dud, and wouldn't be too unhappy if he was to walk having not been backed.

I wasn't happy with the Sherwood appointment, but having achieved both safety and a cup final, you can understand why he received backing. Garde doesn't have any such record with us, and from the look of this window, perhaps it is also the case that he doesn't have the reputation, track record or personality to attract players to the club - although of course our position and finances don't help.

I don't want us to change the manager yet again, but at the moment I'm not too concerned if he wants to walk in the summer.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

That line from Remi,for me, is a very significant point.

It kinda crystalises the frustration of all concerned with the club.

bit of a euphemism " big results"......I would have said......with out any results whatsoever.

During that period though, the managers remit was "to stay in the PL". There was no pressure to obtain so called "big results.

In fact, the squad was hacked to death in record time & replaced with a load of kids. It was only because of Wigans cup run 4 years ago that we survived that season.

It makes me sick how these Yanks try to put it out that vast amounts of money have been spent. The wages were low-Even teams like Leicester & Stoke were paying more & the net spend was always near the bottom of the table.

Lerner is now trying to blame the managers for his cost cutting and general inability to run a bath, let alone a football club.

28 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I can't help but feel for Remi given the situation. I wonder if the club has broken any promises made to him upon taking over e.g. a promise of funds in January? I'm afraid it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Well, if he'd have got us into a competitive position then maybe things would have been different. The Christmas period knocked the stuffing out of everyone-Players, owners & fans alike.

Whilst I feel a certain amount of sympathy for Remi, he has hardly produced the goods so far has he?

I see no sense in throwing money at a lost cause-Surely its better to have a full war chest in the summer for the rebuild?

When Remi took over we were 4 pts adrift of relegation and now we are 10 pts adrift. I'm pretty sure thats the reason no money has been spent in January, particularly after the amount of signings we made in the summer. Hopefully Remi will be given some funds next summer in preparation for our bid to get out of the championship. 

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

How much is that supposed "war chest" then for the summer rebuild?

well Tom has a map now so him and Hollis are going to get some shovels and go hunting for it

9 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Well, if he'd have got us into a competitive position then maybe things would have been different. The Christmas period knocked the stuffing out of everyone-Players, owners & fans alike.

Whilst I feel a certain amount of sympathy for Remi, he has hardly produced the goods so far has he?

I see no sense in throwing money at a lost cause-Surely its better to have a full war chest in the summer for the rebuild?

Whilst I have long thought staying up unlikely, we are not so far behind Newcastle to get the differences in outlook between their Board and ours. And although I share your view that Garde hasn't produced a lot they appointed him, they have confirmed he will stay on as Manager, how can they then not back him ?

Lost cause ? It is a fundamental rule in sport that you don't give up, just in case.

And really, you think if we'd been 'competitive' things would've been different ?  How much different ?

And the war chest bit ?  That's funny.  You really think they are putting together a 'war chest' ?

And if they were, who do you think they are waiting for ?  If they were aiming to come back up, some Premier League players would have been a wise move.  Do you think we have more chance of getting them now, or in the summer following relegation (when it is surely liklely we will lose at least as much quality as comes in anyway) ?

Do you not think that not spending is more likely merely a continuation of the philosophy espoused by Hollis since he arrived  - "we spent money in the summer and look where we are"....." we are not in this position because of money" etc.

Well I do.  I think it is very convenient indeed for the Board to have people thinking "it would have been a waste of money".  Also, finally, why would it have to be "throwing money" which alludes to a lot.  Couldn't we have got a couple of the loans we were looking at, and bought a few players for next year, and so on. 

But nothing? Nothing at all ? And people can still rationalise that ?

I presume in the summer the excuse will be "we didn't want a complete rebuild like last summer as it didn't work properly and despite not spending in January to sort this out we therefore have signed 1 or 2 with the rest of the squad made up of the club fabric through the academy"

Â