Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

That's  exactly what I keep thinking myself, but then it dawn's on me that Leicester had a lot more  toughness and resilience than what we appear to have along  with a tough as old boots general in charge pumping them up for each game ( and no this is not intended in anyway shape or form as a dig at Reme). Just an observation of some of the factors which contributed to the foxes staying up in my view

Yes those are fair points Dave, and as I said I'm really quite pessimistic about our chances of staying in the division this season. My point was simply that we are not down already as some seem to be suggesting, and that the club needs to make every effort in January to give us a chance of survival, rather than simply planning for life in the Championship. The Leicester comparison was really just to point out that while there is still a chance, we should continue to fight. Throwing in the towel with half a season remaining shouldn't be a option.

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree, I think Jedinak would be a] achievable, and b] an improvement on all of our current central midfielders.

Aggreed, and more than likely stick around and be a solid performer in our push for the play-offs next season

21 hours ago, tayloroz said:

I've a slight bias slant towards this, but I'd love to bring in Mile Jedinak in CM. He's out of favour with Palace with Cabaye and McArthur in front of him, with a late transfer falling through over the Summer. But to me he's a proven leader having previously captained them and current Australian captain, consistently a good ball winner (according to the stats), and would add a bit of physicality and experience to our side.

We might score a few from free kicks and corners as well!

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Yes those are fair points Dave, and as I said I'm really quite pessimistic about our chances of staying in the division this season. My point was simply that we are not down already as some seem to be suggesting, and that the club needs to make every effort in January to give us a chance of survival, rather than simply planning for life in the Championship. The Leicester comparison was really just to point out that while there is still a chance, we should continue to fight. Throwing in the towel with half a season remaining shouldn't be a option.

I understand what you're getting at, but spending big in January and getting relegated in any case is the worst scenario of all.  It's simply not worth the gamble.  I think we'll see maybe 1 or 2 players come in but not for huge money.

Planning ahead is a good thing.  If only Portsmouth or Leeds had done this instead of throwing coin at the issue...

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I understand what you're getting at, but spending big in January and getting relegated in any case is the worst scenario of all.  It's simply not worth the gamble.  I think we'll see maybe 1 or 2 players come in but not for huge money.

Planning ahead is a good thing.  If only Portsmouth or Leeds had done this instead of throwing coin at the issue...

It's a balance obviously.

If we're in touch in January then we absolutely have to spend money. I'm not talking about bankrupting the club, but I'd be fully behind spending some decent money to get a couple of good players in.

If we're completely cut adrift then there's no point in spending for the sake of it.

As said before, we'll know by then anyway. Our easy run starts in a couple of weeks and if we get off to a bad start in that then we'll know that we're down

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a balance obviously.

If we're in touch in January then we absolutely have to spend money. I'm not talking about bankrupting the club, but I'd be fully behind spending some decent money to get a couple of good players in.

If we're completely cut adrift then there's no point in spending for the sake of it.

As said before, we'll know by then anyway. Our easy run starts in a couple of weeks and if we get off to a bad start in that then we'll know that we're down

The problem I have with spending decent money is that nothing is guaranteed.  We've spent "decent money" in the summer and have 5 points from 14 games.  We'd be bringing yet more unsettled players into a relatively unsettled squad.

It all depends on the financial situation of the club (which I was hoping is better than it appears to be? who knows) but I'd much rather get relegated than take a risk which could see us end up in a Portsmouth-esque situation.

Edited by bobzy

We-want-Benteke-back......

if Klopp continues to prefer others to CB, then promise him a platform for him to showcase himself for the 2016 Euro's

without being able to perform this season & the Euro's he's got no chance of a move to ManU, Chelski, Spuds or Arshenal for next season as it's clear that Klopp wont trust him within the high-pitch-pressing tactics he prefers

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

The problem I have with spending decent money is that nothing is guaranteed.  We've spent "decent money" in the summer and have 5 points from 14 games.  We'd be bringing yet more unsettled players into a relatively unsettled squad.

It all depends on the financial situation of the club (which I was hoping is better than it appears to be? who knows) but I'd much rather get relegated than take a risk which could see us end up in a Portsmouth-esque situation.

A couple of January signings isn't going to get us into a Portsmouth situation unless we're buying Messi and Ronaldo on a million quid a week each.

If we got into that kind of financial situation then there would be a lot more behind it than what we do in January.

The club is pretty stable financially. Lerner was/is positioning us for a sale which relied on that. If we're in touch in January we can afford to spend on a couple of signings.

Not doing so, if there's a chance we could stay up, would be a far higher financial risk than doing so.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

A couple of January signings isn't going to get us into a Portsmouth situation unless we're buying Messi and Ronaldo on a million quid a week each.

If we got into that kind of financial situation then there would be a lot more behind it than what we do in January.

The club is pretty stable financially. Lerner was/is positioning us for a sale which relied on that. If we're in touch in January we can afford to spend on a couple of signings.

Not doing so, if there's a chance we could stay up, would be a far higher financial risk than doing so.

Depends what you mean by "a couple of January signings".  The chat from av1 seemed to suggest that we should do everything in our power to stay up - spend all the money and ensure survival.

If we spent, say, £30m in January on players and went down anyway, I think it'd be disastrous.  If we spent £10m, we'd be fine.

5 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

if Klopp continues to prefer others to CB, then promise him a platform for him to showcase himself for the 2016 Euro's

without being able to perform this season & the Euro's he's got no chance of a move to ManU, Chelski, Spuds or Arshenal for next season as it's clear that Klopp wont trust him within the high-pitch-pressing tactics he prefers

Anyone else get a slightly childish, slightly bitter, satisfied feeling inside when they see our ex-players rotting away on the bench?? Just me?

35 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Anyone else get a slightly childish, slightly bitter, satisfied feeling inside when they see our ex-players rotting away on the bench?? Just me?

Although i hate Liverdole as much as anything, i still wish Benteke well as he kept us for like 3 seasons on the trot. But with Delph and some of the others like Ashley Young etc then yeah its **** hillarious!!

Mind you im sure they all look at us and do the same..

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

normally I do but not with Benteke and he at the club I hate the most. We would probably be in League 1 without the guy and even though he comes across as a mercenary(mainly his asshole agent) he always treated club with respect unlike some more "loyal" players

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Why?

"Disastrous" might be a bit far, in hindsight, but I think it would stifle our club.

We'll be paying Premier League wages to a whole load of players on decent-length contracts with the additional loss of TV revenue and a further £30m (plus agents fees etc. etc.).  I think we'd then struggle to re-build or add 'experienced' players to help us bounce straight back up.

For example:  Q.P.R.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

A loan would be perfect. He would play with much confidence before Euros. Not sure him or Liverpool would accept that though.

I dont know wether he is playing or not as i mostly dont watch other than Villa. But from what youre saying it seems he isnt playing.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

"Disastrous" might be a bit far, in hindsight, but I think it would stifle our club.

We'll be paying Premier League wages to a whole load of players on decent-length contracts with the additional loss of TV revenue and a further £30m (plus agents fees etc. etc.).  I think we'd then struggle to re-build or add 'experienced' players to help us bounce straight back up.

For example:  Q.P.R.

It depends on who you buy and the wages they command. QPR bought loads of ageing players on massive wages. We have a young squad. We could easily carry a couple of older players in the hope we stay up. If we never we'd still have a better blend for next season. I think we can use the loan system well though. Players not getting game time with the Euros like Mirallas etc 

Just now, dn1982 said:

It depends on who you buy and the wages they command. QPR bought loads of ageing players on massive wages. We have a young squad. We could easily carry a couple of older players in the hope we stay up. If we never we'd still have a better blend for next season. I think we can use the loan system well though. Players not getting game time with the Euros like Mirallas etc 

We already have a few of those (N'Zogbia, Lescott, Hutton for example) and then added youth - just like Q.P.R. did.  They bought Fer, Caulker, Sandro and Mutch (prob others) who will have cost a fair amount and been paid a fair amount.

On dropping down, they've basically got rid of the older players but not been able to bring in any meaningful players as they're "stuck" with some of the Premier League waged-ones (Austin (I'd assume pay rise), Fer, Green, Sandro).

Loans are a good route, sure.  Mirallas in the Championship, though?