Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nobody's going to be 'picking off' Ashley Westwood. 

You underestimate the likes of Norwich or Bournemouth

or the Championship clubs that get promotion.

you may not rate him, but he does a very basic job, isn't highly paid, came up from a lower division and now has a lot of premiership experience, some idiot will think that constitutes a decent squad signing.

Look at the dross we've signed - most of those clubs must be wringing their hands and laughing that they managed to offload the likes of Sanchez, Richardson, Cole, Lescott, Sinclair, Richards etc etc...

Edited by VillanousOne

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hang on,  which players signed by MON remain in the squad? Which coaches employed by him remain at the club?  He was like 8 managers ago if you include Macdonald.  There is not one player here signed by him. Agbonlahor has come through the ranks and arguably performed his best under MON so he did something right. 

Grealish was 11 I think when MON became our manager,  he got the attitude from MON? Did all the players we have now watch our seniors and think thats the way to go?

Perhaps Roy Keane should have tried to change those issues when he was actually here , you know as a coach?

See the bit when I didn't want to have a dig at MON.  MON could handle those sort of characters as he did at Leicester and Celtic.  MON created an environment that players other manager would say had questionable attitudes thrived.  It was his speciality.  At Sunderland I think he bought crap players as well as attitude.  Every team MON has managed has struggled badly when he has left, yes partially cause he was a Good Manager but also cause of the culture left behind.

I do not include MacDonald as he has been in charge of about five games total.  You including the Goalkeeping coach who was in charge of a game?  Just so you understand these are the managers I include after MON:  Houllier, McLiesh, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde.   These are our official managers over the past how many years, the rest were caretaker managers.  Grade has not yet been here long enough and neither really was Sherwood but I had no faith in him doing anything other than ripping the soul out of the team and creating disaster.

Houllier after a very bumpy ride did actually look like he had the team playing to a set plan.  I think if he had stayed we probably would have been 6-10 in the league.

Old Alex was a disaster waiting to happen.  He didn't stand a chance.  Majority of Fans didn't want him and what money he had was wasted and the culture went back to what it was under MON but with out MON to control and manage it.

Lambert - Tried to change but after the first season where we had shown promise he bought on mass instead of quality.  It was a gamble but didn't work.  After that he was treading water.  Looked like a work ethic had been brought in the Keane arrived but Keane's Temperament failed.

I like you thought Lambert was the answer but obviously we were wrong.  He attempted a clearcut but had to buy cheaply but still he wasn't up to the job.  Lambert lost control as demonstrated with the problems with his assistants.  Keane did try and change the issues but as I also mentioned his fault is that he gets too emotional and couldn't understand the bad attitude running with the Villa squad.  Just cause he could not change things doesn't mean he was wrong.

Sherwood I never wanted but I did think the French buys in the summer looked good.  Never wanted Lescott anywhere near the club.  Actually thinK Gustede was worth a gamble but hasn't worked out.  The failure was not to add anyone else.   A Work Ethic that was bad took a bigger step back.

Yes Grealish was about 11 the perfect age where they start watching their heroes and trying to emulate them.  Obviously you watch a lot of football but perhaps never done any coaching or understand youth development (yes I can talk down to you as you do to me).  I might not have done coaching in football but I have in another sport and what a youngster observes in the older athletes is very important in their development.  You never wonder how we have Youth teams that are very competitive full of players other teams rave about yet can't bring them through to 'Adult' football.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

McGeady can cross, just not a goal scorer.  Be available on loan i reckon, not great i know but i think we have to take what we can get at this stage.

McGeady cannot cross, the most blind footballer in history

• Like 1

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Think that's a bit of an exaggeration

its really not, ive seen him play about 80 times for Ireland and always dribbles down blind alleys and rarely puts in crosses never mind good crosses

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

You underestimate the likes of Norwich or Bournemouth

or the Championship clubs that get promotion.

you may not rate him, but he does a very basic job, isn't highly paid, came up from a lower division and now has a lot of premiership experience, some idiot will think that constitutes a decent squad signing.

Look at the dross we've signed - most of those clubs must be wringing their hands and laughing that they managed to offload the likes of Sanchez, Richardson, Cole, Lescott, Sinclair, Richards etc etc...

You're right, I don't rate him, and I don't see how he would even be an improvement as a squad player for either of those clubs. I'd rather have Marc Pugh or Graham Dorrans. 

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe MK Dons or Coventry

Sadly I don't think they could afford the wages he'd expect. 

No, I think we'll be stuck with Mr Westwood for a while yet. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ah, yes, I'm sure there's a 'legit' reason as to why we will not win again this season following this sort of logic. 

Those were must win games and very much, at the time, winnable games, it's simply not good enough that we lost all of them. 

Would you actually blame the manager for the loss against Sunderland?  I posted somewhere else, but we basically controlled the game for decent periods and lost because of a freak deflection and 2 x the worst defending ever.  Garde could do nothing about any of it.  He made decent subs (Traore for Grealish, sets up goal - Sinclair (att) for Hutton (def) after going 2-1 down) but the players simply didn't perform.

Similar story against Watford, really.  They played well enough, but we controlled the game and they scored 2 x deflected weird shit and 1 Hutton own goal.  What can you actually do about that?

(Norwich was terrible, though).