The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

Great achievement for the Tamworth Tap. A couple of my pals are Tamworth natives and love this place. I'll be going soon

A pub that has only been running for five years has won the Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) national pub of the year award.

The Tamworth Tap, in the shadow of Tamworth Castle in Staffordshire, started life as a high street micro brewery.

Such was the popularity of the brewery that its monthly pop-up shop became a full-time pub run by George and Louise Greenaway - the first West Midlands winner of the award for 23 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-64513248

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Prince of Wales in Moseley is getting a thorough refurb including outside areas and toilets (thank the lord)

I just pray they keep the real ale on and don't go down the craft beer route.  Places in Moseley selling real ale are becoming rarer and rarer and I have fears here.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 21:08, Xela said:

Great achievement for the Tamworth Tap. A couple of my pals are Tamworth natives and love this place. I'll be going soon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-64513248

Cheers, didn't know this existed.  I'm taking my German friends to see the delights of home town the night before the Forest game and I didn't know the place actually had a decent pub now! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Cheers, didn't know this existed.  I'm taking my German friends to see the delights of home town the night before the Forest game and I didn't know the place actually had a decent pub now! 

It also won best pub garden at the Great British Pub Awards in 2022

Best Pub Garden (Sponsored by Diageo)
The Tamworth Tap, Tamworth, Staffordshire

Overlooked by Tamworth Castle, a visit to Tamworth Brewing Co (Tamworth Tap), is an unforgettable experience. With an onsite micro-brewery and outdoor smokehouse kitchen, there’s lots to try at this pub. Entering the garden through a Belgium-style bar, the outdoor space feels like a medieval fairy-tale with hops growing around and immaculately presented flowers placed around the garden. History lovers will enjoy this site, with historic brewing artefacts which have been gifted or loaned by local museums on display. Visitors to this pub can all expect a warm welcome and a guaranteed good experience.

https://greatbritishpubawards.co.uk/live/en/page/2022-winners

0-DNR-TMM-280721-Tap4.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I think I love pubs more than drink.

I know what you mean. I find the history of pubs/inns/taverns fascinating. The role they play in communities etc, and its always sad to see them close down and get demolished to make way for a retirement village, or a ugly looking cladded Lidl. Ultimately they just  aren't used as much anymore. Drinking habits have changed. 

The village my folks live in, population around 400 people, they used to have three pubs! It was where people met after work and chatted. Now there is just the one, which is a nice one, but more of a restaurant, and caters to non villagers more. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

On 03/03/2023 at 19:21, Xela said:

I know what you mean. I find the history of pubs/inns/taverns fascinating. The role they play in communities etc, and its always sad to see them close down and get demolished to make way for a retirement village, or a ugly looking cladded Lidl. Ultimately they just  aren't used as much anymore.

Did any of you ever frequent The Clock at Bickenhill? Apparently demolished in 2012 for the airport runway extension. 

I've been researching my family tree and I've just discovered that my great grandfather [*] (born 1814) was the pub landlord in the mid-19th Century. I suspect it was an earlier building, the mock-tudor one (below) being a later rebuild. 

EDIT: Actually great great grandfather. 

bickenhill_clock2.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

A peruse of birminghamhistory.co.uk confirms the above: 

"Bickenhill had 3 inns in 1839. The only surviving pub is The Clock Inn, a modern mock Tudor roadside pub built in 1961. Originally it was near the church but moved to take advantage of the turnpike road traffic"

I also found that in 1868 it was run by a Thomas Dutton. In 1888 it was Miss Ann Smart and in 1912 it was Thomas Reynolds.

Thomas Dutton was my gggf. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Did any of you ever frequent The Clock at Bickenhill? Apparently demolished in 2012 for the airport runway extension. 

I've been researching my family tree and I've just discovered that my great grandfather (born 1814) was the pub landlord in the mid-19th Century. I suspect it was an earlier building, the mock-tudor one (below) being a later rebuild. 

bickenhill_clock2.jpg

I went in once. I had said I'd pick my parents up from the airport but we were playing Liverpool so I watched the game there, so I wouldn't miss any. We lost 2-1 with Gerrard scoring a late winner.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I went in once. I had said I'd pick my parents up from the airport but we were playing Liverpool so I watched the game there, so I wouldn't miss any. We lost 2-1 with Gerrard scoring a late winner.

Ugh, the free kick on the opening day of the season?  Yuk.

Had a coaches meeting at the Queens Head bar and Indian grill in Redditch last night , well worth paying a visit if your in the area , high quality food , reasonably priced ,great bar selection, immaculately clean and friendly place , we are making it a regular thing !

On 09/03/2023 at 18:52, mjmooney said:

I've been researching my family tree and I've just discovered that my great grandfather [*] (born 1814) was the pub landlord in the mid-19th Century. I suspect it was an earlier building, the mock-tudor one (below) being a later rebuild. 

EDIT: Actually great great grandfather. 

bickenhill_clock2.jpg

This was just over the road from my business, we have been here 50 years so have seen it change quite a bit.

The clock was doomed really because of the lack of people nearby. Even the gypos stopped going for the last few years.

Real shame when they knocked it down though as it was a lovely traditional old place. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Xela said:

So, as mentioned in other posts, I had a last minute pub brawl around the ancient capital of the Kingdom of Mercia yesterday. A very enjoyable day it was. I was quaffing ales in a similar vein to what King Offa himself would have glugged mead in 766 AD. Unlike Offa, I finished the night with a vindaloo and an Uber home.

So, the day started at the Tamworth Arms. Known locally as the 'bottom house'. Not because they offer on-site colonoscopies, but because it sits at the bottom of Lichfield Street and is the first pub on the way into Tamworth. This has had a refurb in the last couple of years and now serves a good selection of traditional and Indian food. Not a great selection of real ale on, just Doombar and another that I can't remember. I went with a refreshing Veltins pilsner, which went down a treat

.tamworth-arms-0.jpg

A two minute walk away, just up the road was the imposing Moat House. This venue has apparently featured on Most Haunted. It is now a real ale pub with function rooms for weddings etc. The interior is grand, with more grandfather clocks than patrons when we were there. Good selection of ales. A pint of Tribute Cornish ale was served in an old school panelled jug 

Moat-house-tamworth-JPG.jpg

A five minute walk and we were into the town centre and the next stop was the Tamworth Tap. The CAMRA real ale pub of the year. This place was rammed! Huge selection of ales and the building is full of different rooms with nooks and crannies. They have a superb view of the castle from their beer garden (also award winning). A brilliant pub! Obviously word is out and it attracts visitors and ale connoisseurs. I was unsure what tipple to have until I noticed they had Bathams best bitter on tap. The choice was therefore easy! I could have quite happily spent the rest of the day here, but my Tamworth guides were keen to show me more...

Tap.jpgTap2.jpg

Pub four was the Old Bank House. Opened as a pub a couple of years back, this was was formerly home to Sir Robert Peel's Tamworth Savings Bank. Now it is a thriving venue. A good cask ale selection was available but I fancied something different so went for a Tiny Rebel 'Rocket Air', a fruity and grassy IPA. I know the switch from real ale to craft beer will disappoint @sidcow

the-old-ank-house.jpg

Next up was the final venue, the Market Vaults. This is a Joules pub and their current pub of the year. I was starting to get a little bit fuzzy headed now. No food and a few pints will do that to you. This was going to be the last pub as one of my mates had to go. I had a pint of Joules Pure Blonde ale, and a decent tipple it was too. A nice way to finish the pub crawl. 

AF1-Qip-Ot3c42-Os-Mj-Vr-H51-UDn1u-XQjp-o

After that, the ones that remained made our way to an Indian restaurant for a well deserved feed. I would like to say I had a pint of Cobra in the curry house, but it was a large Coca Cola, as i had hit my limit!

Overall a very enjoyable day and the last three venues in the town centre were excellent. There are a few more pubs we would have liked to visit, but they will have to wait until next time.

9/10. Would Drink Again. 

Me and my mate ripped the swords off the wall in one of those places donkeys years ago after a works do and had a proper sword fight, still got the scars. 
it is incredibly imbecilic, one can get after an afternoon of depth charges

Â