The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

About 15 to 20. Someone else will book it etc, they are Preston based so asked me for recommdations. I can suggest pubs without any problems but food is a struggle. 

Yes, I would say The Old Contemptibles. My team are going there for the 3rd year in a row this Christmas, its just really good, food is excellent and the pub brilliant. 

The back room will hold 20 easy. 

The Old Joint Stock would be similar. 

We've also used Primitivo for Christmas doos as well. 

• Like 2

On 25/10/2022 at 20:41, sidcow said:

I've heard The Crown by the law courts could be turning into a wine bar. Urgghh. 

Perfect. A quick glass or three of Chateauneuf Du Pape before heading to the Villa ;) 

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Thanks all. Good suggestions and now passed on. 

John Bright Street might be worth a look as well

Turtle Bay for food (Caribbean style with a good choice of vegan and veggie stuff)

Bars/pubs include Brewdog, The Victoria (great pub), The Stable, Cherry Reds and The Railway. Right next to New Street Station as well. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot to say I went to The Prince of Wales in Moseley on Sunday. 

It was quiet but so was Moseley in general. 

Seemed OK though, had a chat with the landlord. It's down to 4 ales which is a long way off its heyday. 

In the meantime The One Trick Pony is another Moseley pub gone entirely down the Craft route and stopped selling real ale :bang:

• Like 3

The Craft Inn in Sutton Coldfield seems to have shut down. It was one of those shops-turned-into-micro-pubs things. Expensive, but always had a mad array of beers on. I liked the place, had a nice vibe to it. Shame. I guess we'll see a lot more places closing over the next year.

17 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

The Craft Inn in Sutton Coldfield seems to have shut down. It was one of those shops-turned-into-micro-pubs things. Expensive, but always had a mad array of beers on. I liked the place, had a nice vibe to it. Shame. I guess we'll see a lot more places closing over the next year.

Have you been to the Leviathan Brewing tap room/bar in Sutton? Some nice craft beers there. 

Also on Mere Green island, you have the Ale Hub micropub, which might be another good option for you. 

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Have you been to the Leviathan Brewing tap room/bar in Sutton? Some nice craft beers there. 

Also on Mere Green island, you have the Ale Hub micropub, which might be another good option for you. 

I have been to Leviathan yes. Good place, although being in the industrial estate they will always only get custom from those who specifically travel to it. No passing trade there!

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 16:11, sidcow said:

**** Trocadero has stopped serving real ale as well. 

I absolutely loath craft **** beer. It's destroying real ale 

Not even the obligatory Doom Bar?

I like both craft beer and real ale. There is a place for both. 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not even the obligatory Doom Bar?

I like both craft beer and real ale. There is a place for both. 

Not even the obligatory Doom Bar. 

It appears there isn't a place for both. 

When I was a young lad about town, Birmingham was known as a desert for Real Ale.  In those days The Troc was one of the few bars that did serve Ale. 

It's taken 30 odd years to get to a point where most bars in Birmingham would have some selection of Real Ale and now one by one they're all disappearing again. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

@sidcow wasn't impressed with his night out in Moseley :) 

Hipsters.jpg

VIZ.jpg

Absolute genius.  My flabber has never been so ghasted.

Moseley's Old spanker has taken a hell of a beating of late I can tell you!

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Not sure they will be Cask Marque accredited @sidcow

https://www.standard.co.uk/reveller/kfc-first-pub-london-hammersmith-fried-chicken-world-cup-qatar-colonels-arms-b1043158.html

If you’re a fan of fried chicken and a Londoner, then you’re in for a finger-lickin' treat.

KFC has opened its first pub in the capital to coincide with the World Cup in Qatar.

Hammersmith watering hole The Old Suffolk Punch has been transformed into a Colonel Sanders-branded bar, with big screens allowing you to watch all the action from Qatar while you munch on fried chicken and enjoy a few drinks.

Former England midfielder Jimmy Bullard, 44, is the landlord of the pub, which has been renamed The Colonel’s Arms.

Bullard said: “It’s class when the three things I love — football, fried chicken and the pub — come together.

KFC.jpg

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Xela said:

"Former England midfielder Jimmy Bullard"????? Eh? Did I miss his appearances in our national team?

A crawl round the JQ once again last night.

I’ll start with the one glaring negative. Booked a table for a meal at the usually reliable Clifden. After a thorough (but not completely unpleasant) pat down search by the bouncer, we found ourselves in the main dining area with ridiculously loud late 90’s/early 00’s dance music playing. Really not exaggerating, it was club level volume, everywhere. We left promptly and I can’t imagine we’ll be returning any time soon.

Positives. 

We went to the Pig & Tail for the first time. I’ve been aware of it for a while, but the photos online give off a more restaurant vibe. But it has more of a pub feel to it than I expected. Kinda cosy in its own way. Looks like it has a good sized outdoor area too.

The Rolling Mill. Was not aware of this one. It is more of a restaurant, but it’s nice enough. Has a sort of ski lodge feel to it, weirdly. 

The Button Factory and The Church both very busy, but good. Grain and Glass was quiet but I quite like the change of tempo. Nice chat with the people who work there, happy to give recommendations on the whiskey if you’re not sure what to order (the chosen Irish bottle which made its way to our table pictured below).

67B8412B-20C9-4455-8CD0-4EDDFDE9AF9C.thumb.jpeg.f27acdfbdffb14aae2e8d58239203436.jpeg

Ended the night at The Shakespeare on Summer Row. Not been in there in the evening before, really liked it, good atmosphere. Reminds me a lot of The Old Contemptibles. 

• Like 2

The destruction of The Lord Clifden is so sad. 

Not been there in a few years but every report I see on it suggests it's nothing like it was. 

Looking at their website I also assume they've ripped out the beer engines and gone all in on craft beer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A crawl round the JQ once again last night.

I’ll start with the one glaring negative. Booked a table for a meal at the usually reliable Clifden. After a thorough (but not completely unpleasant) pat down search by the bouncer, we found ourselves in the main dining area with ridiculously loud late 90’s/early 00’s dance music playing. Really not exaggerating, it was club level volume, everywhere. We left promptly and I can’t imagine we’ll be returning any time soon.

Positives. 

We went to the Pig & Tail for the first time. I’ve been aware of it for a while, but the photos online give off a more restaurant vibe. But it has more of a pub feel to it than I expected. Kinda cosy in its own way. Looks like it has a good sized outdoor area too.

The Rolling Mill. Was not aware of this one. It is more of a restaurant, but it’s nice enough. Has a sort of ski lodge feel to it, weirdly. 

The Button Factory and The Church both very busy, but good. Grain and Glass was quiet but I quite like the change of tempo. Nice chat with the people who work there, happy to give recommendations on the whiskey if you’re not sure what to order (the chosen Irish bottle which made its way to our table pictured below).

67B8412B-20C9-4455-8CD0-4EDDFDE9AF9C.thumb.jpeg.f27acdfbdffb14aae2e8d58239203436.jpeg

Ended the night at The Shakespeare on Summer Row. Not been in there in the evening before, really liked it, good atmosphere. Reminds me a lot of The Old Contemptibles. 

Love the Summer Row Shakespeare, great blend of customers, old, young , tourists and locals. Usually pop in there before and after food at the University College Birmingham restaurant, highly recommended as well, great fine dining at decent prices.

• Like 1

Â